S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hey everyone. If anyone's interested, @Ceros_X and me traced the images of this case provided by Josh. They can be found here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/resources/nfc-systems-s4-mini-panel-vectors.84/

THANK YOU for your help. They turned out great--and anyone wanting to do some mods I suggest downloading these and giving Robbee a thumbs up!

Bit gutted I missed out on the first round of these cases :(

And the second round. But the pre-orders for the third starts March 1st!!!!! I am really really sorry I can't deliver these on a faster basis to you guys. I really am. I hate waiting too so when my customers are waiting it kills me. But I move as fast as things outside my control let me.

Thank you for your patience and support!

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Yeah, I've been doing my best not to hassle you about the case I am waiting for. I know you're moving as fast as you can. :)

Hey, on the bright side: the longer I wait to start my build, the more cool hardware will be out there for me to consider!

cakePlease

Trash Compacter
Jan 27, 2017
THANK YOU for your help. They turned out great--and anyone wanting to do some mods I suggest downloading these and giving Robbee a thumbs up!

And the second round. But the pre-orders for the third starts March 1st!!!!! I am really really sorry I can't deliver these on a faster basis to you guys. I really am. I hate waiting too so when my customers are waiting it kills me. But I move as fast as things outside my control let me.

Thank you for your patience and support!

We appreciate the leg work and dedication man! I think it's time you hire on some help and scale ;)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
This can happen starting March 1st! Preorders are working differently this time. I am collecting money before ordering the run. So if I can collect enough for a big run, I can use the profit to hire some neighbors who desperately need work, and then I can focus on making new things, and customers can get their stuff earlier. Everyone hopefully wins!

But we shall see...I'm crossing my fingers.

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
This can happen starting March 1st! Preorders are working differently this time. I am collecting money before ordering the run. So if I can collect enough for a big run, I can use the profit to hire some neighbors who desperately need work, and then I can focus on making new things, and customers can get their stuff earlier. Everyone hopefully wins!

Anyone else just get a "semi?.."

Reactions: Ceros_X

TheDreamingMonk

Average Stuffer
Sep 17, 2016

You could put me down for 1 ( maybe 2 ) done up like your 1080 build :)

Reactions: CubanLegend

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Video on the 1080 build is up:
OMG HYPE! Watching now! WOW... Very amazingly creative video style, very well shot, edited and very informative! Thanks for letting me send it to ya, Josh! I had no idea you went out and tried to make and bend a custom acrylic wrap around, such dedication!

So from what I gather from the video, the 1080mini runs cooler than the Gigabyte 1070mini, the HDPLEX jack was able to go in the stock location with an even easier mod than expected, it has great thermal padding and you put some NTH1 on the die (thanks!), it fits in the S4 mini with some mild modding and is nice and snug with some padding I can cut from my NH-L9i box, the PCiE Power cable isn't an issue, and as a whole the CPUGPU combo isn't as power hungry as expected (an unexpected surprise), without requiring tweaking in conjunction with a 7700k! And the card's backplate happens to somehow match the aesthetic of the S4 mini's side panel in some cosmic miracle of design coincidence. :)

All of that is amazing news! Oh and about the flat acrylic bezel... @Josh | NFC You. were. right. I DO LOVE IT. :D That last shot of the case in the dark with the acrylic catching the RGB LED lighting was so amazing! I couldn't believe my eyes how amazing it was, it surpassed my expectations... and that it's actually going to be my case? This is a dream come true. I welcome our RGB overlords!

Last edited:

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
@Josh | NFC How difficult would it be to sell that lazer cut front vent plate that you glued to the acrylic?

Also, i don't think you mentioned it in the video, did you screw the acrylic to the case from the inside, or use the same tape you used for the vent plate to glue the acrylic to the case?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zerofool

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I know that tape you used as 3M VHB tape, it's an amazing material to affix just about anything with clean and flat surfaces. It has an insanely strong bond when you've applied pressure to it, with two 4" or 10cm strips you can affix a laptop onto a table and you'll be convinced it's screwed down.

Awesome video, well done !

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
VHB is good stuff. When you see 'seamless' glass or metal panels coating the outside of skyscrapers, that's normally attached with VHB.

Reactions: Phuncz

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
If you dremel the vents on the back of the chassis, maybe you could mount an actual optical drive?

Yes, you can. However, you will have to deal with a slight interference with the GPU bracket tab, as well (nothing that can't be overcome).

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Crazy question, I did a quick search for "battery" on this thread and nothing really came up. What is the feasability, of making a bettery powered S4 Mini with at least the i7 7700T? I have found a couple of these battery packs on amazon meant for laptop charging (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YP823NA/?tag=theminutiae-20) that might work, but I don't know enough about power draw or system peak levels and draw to know if such a thing would be able to power an HDPlex of some wattage. Thanks!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC How difficult would it be to sell that lazer cut front vent plate that you glued to the acrylic?

Also, i don't think you mentioned it in the video, did you screw the acrylic to the case from the inside, or use the same tape you used for the vent plate to glue the acrylic to the case?

The exact same bezel if I could get enough people to buy it would probably be 45 bucks for the two piece, up to 55 depending on the extra work done to it. I'm actually putting them up this evening and I only have a limited amount...soooo snag one if you want it. Otherwise you will need to get your own made or wait till March when I get back from my biz trips.

If you buy the same material from Delvies plastics (please support them, amazing family owned business with good prices, and Debbie is a sweetheart) I think it will cost $20 shipped. To have it lasered is anyones guess, but the general rate is $75/hr for small lasers. Make sure to ask them to elevate the piece to get perfectly clear edges, but that will increase your setup fee and thus cost.

Crazy question, I did a quick search for "battery" on this thread and nothing really came up. What is the feasability, of making a bettery powered S4 Mini with at least the i7 7700T? I have found a couple of these battery packs on amazon meant for laptop charging (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YP823NA/?tag=theminutiae-20) that might work, but I don't know enough about power draw or system peak levels and draw to know if such a thing would be able to power an HDPlex of some wattage. Thanks!

lhl has amazing information on this. If you want to get fancy. If you want something easy...just buy a Vagabond Lithium from Paul C Buff. I would link you, but THAT'S ILLEGAL NOW. :p

I know that tape you used as 3M VHB tape, it's an amazing material to affix just about anything with clean and flat surfaces. It has an insanely strong bond when you've applied pressure to it, with two 4" or 10cm strips you can affix a laptop onto a table and you'll be convinced it's screwed down.

Awesome video, well done !

Tape of the Mod Gawds, according to Bill. XD

Thank you for the compliment...means alot. I was getting burnt out of videos but with all the nice comments I received for this one, I will keep at it.