S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Considering the Galax 1070 Mini is still MIA, I might pick up whichever comes out first (assuming I don't get a 1060 to have mercy on my storage devices).

The Galax 1070 Mini is in their web store and last I checked it was in stock!

I was about to pull the trigger on it, but the I/O on this MSI cards is tempting me to wait...

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
The Galax 1070 Mini is in their web store and last I checked it was in stock!

I was about to pull the trigger on it, but the I/O on this MSI cards is tempting me to wait...
yeah, the i/o on the galax was extremely disappointing to me.
A 1070? With TWO(2!!) DVI? For what purpose.

Reactions: zovc

BrainTaste

Average Stuffer
Jan 3, 2017
steamcommunity.com

I DID IT!!!!!
First time taking apart a GPU; I was so nervous that I would break it. I managed to fit the Zotac 1070 in :) I was hella nervous but it booted fine first try.

BrainTaste

Average Stuffer
Jan 3, 2017
steamcommunity.com
Maybe someone here can help me, my GPU reaches about 83C within a minute of playing Overwatch. I am using the 1070 + Scythe slim 120mm. I have tried uping the Fan speed percentage in BIOS but it still reaches 80C almost immediately.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Maybe someone here can help me, my GPU reaches about 83C within a minute of playing Overwatch. I am using the 1070 + Scythe slim 120mm. I have tried uping the Fan speed percentage in BIOS but it still reaches 80C almost immediately.
is the fan blowing ONTO the Heatsink? try flipping it, maybe you set it to pull by accident.

By the way the 2nd pic on your post above, is broken. :(

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017

Is the Scythe fan hooked up to the CPU header or the GPU header? I don't think your BIOS will control your GPU's fan.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I was joking about the 2 DVI on the Galax being relevant back in 2002 and not so much now. I actually have a 1080 which I will be trying to cram in once I get a bezel done for it.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
My biggest issue with the 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 DisplayPort is, yeah I can drive all three of my 1080p monitors with one DisplayPort daisy chain, but the monitors are all 1080p@144Hz. Then, they aren't specced to support 1440p or 2160p, but they actually can be forced to through drivers... If I want to do that I'm really starting to choke DP's bandwidth. Even having just two DP would allow me to daisy chain my two side monitors on one and drive my primary/center monitor with a dedicated DP.

Newer HDMI (1.3b?) supports 1080p@144Hz, but that would require me to get a newer monitor that supports that standard, I'm pretty sure.

I'm tempted to gun for the MSI 1070 mini instead of the Galax, but I'm afraid of the hacking I'll have to do to fit it in the S4 Mini.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Am i crazy to want to wait for Vega, and pray there is an ITX version of it? The monitor i really want is freesync, and the only comparable gsync monitor is over twice as much.

Reactions: Zerofool

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I had it hooked up to the Sys Fan header on my Mobo when I changed the settings. I could hear the fan get louder and everything
Mind you that doesn't ramp the GPU's fan with the GPU's temperature. You either have to use software or use an adapter cable (if PWM).

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
With the shroud removed, you will probably need some ducting around the fan and heatsink to ensure the fan is actually pushing air through the heatsink, rather than air spilling around it.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
The fan mount there is more for HDDs and passively cooled cards. It can work for some GPU setups but air pressure is important.

You could try creating a duct with gaffers tape if your card shroud is too long to be used.