S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

DJH

Efficiency Noob
Feb 22, 2017
Can I just say I'm super excited to get to see all these sweet S4 mini builds in the upcoming weeks! Mine's coming in tomorrow (I think) but I can't build in it until the end of the month. FeelsBadMan.jpg

Reactions: limaalpha0hacii

limaalpha0hacii

Chassis Packer
Feb 1, 2017
Can I just say I'm super excited to get to see all these sweet S4 mini builds in the upcoming weeks! Mine's coming in tomorrow (I think) but I can't build in it until the end of the month. FeelsBadMan.jpg
What are you planning to build in yours? To be honest, I haven't even purchased the rest of my parts lol. I'm planning on putting an i5 7600k with an evga sc 1060 6gb, and a 500gb sandisk ssd, all powered by a HDPlex 300w. If there was no secret shop, I probably wouldn't have bought the S4 Mini.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
**kinda why i added the female avatar, but I guess not to many people are familiar with Rosario+ vampire

Well, plenty of guys use female avatars so I tend to assume someone on a PC-focused venue like this is male until proven otherwise. It's a bad habit, but the gender demographics do tend to be pretty skewed unfortunately.

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
What are you planning to build in yours? To be honest, I haven't even purchased the rest of my parts lol. I'm planning on putting an i5 7600k with an evga sc 1060 6gb, and a 500gb sandisk ssd, all powered by a HDPlex 300w. If there was no secret shop, I probably wouldn't have bought the S4 Mini.

Lol, I've been very curious about what's in the secret shop... is it for custom options?

DJH

Efficiency Noob
Feb 22, 2017

Oh very nice! I've been keeping an eye on the s4 mini since last year. At the moment it'll be an i7 7700k, samsung 250 & 500gb ssd's, a gigabyte mini 1070 gtx and an hdplex 300w with all the appropriate mods. I've got all the components in a node 202 but I'll switch them over with I get the chance.

and the secret shop was for waiting list customers that pre-ordered wayyyy back.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Oh very nice! I've been keeping an eye on the s4 mini since last year. At the moment it'll be an i7 7700k, samsung 250 & 500gb ssd's, a gigabyte mini 1070 gtx and an hdplex 300w with all the appropriate mods. I've got all the components in a node 202 but I'll switch them over with I get the chance.

and the secret shop was for waiting list customers that pre-ordered wayyyy back.
ah. ty :)

Nimikins

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
Well, plenty of guys use female avatars so I tend to assume someone on a PC-focused venue like this is male until proven otherwise. It's a bad habit, but the gender demographics do tend to be pretty skewed unfortunately.

Yeah, that's why i just kinda roll with it. My SO loves gaming too, but it def. more my hobby than his. His degree is in Psych, with a minor in Eng. wheras I grabbed a couple of engineering degrees in school, including computer and electrical.

I have bought NOTHING for S4 mini yet. I was on the list, but dinked around and missed the black in the secret shop because I had too many questions for Josh. Thankfully we were able to work something out and I snagged a beautiful surprise. Big shout out to Josh for answering all my questions!

I was excited about the zen r5, but seeing as the 1600x is 95W tdp, I think the 1700 MIGHT be calling my name, if the itx boards ever come out. I really am hoping to go with the AM4 socket since I know the s4 mini will remain beautiful for years, and AM4 will be supported untill at least 2020.

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I was excited about the zen r5, but seeing as the 1600x is 95W tdp, I think the 1700 MIGHT be calling my name, if the itx boards ever come out. I really am hoping to go with the AM4 socket since I know the s4 mini will remain beautiful for years, and AM4 will be supported untill at least 2020.

From what I can tell, every "X" chip from Ryzen will be a total gip unless they start intentionally putting worse QC chips in the non-X bins. The R7 1700 is comparable if not identical to a 1800X when overclocked. So, my current take on things is you should buy the cheapest Ryzen chip with the number of cores you want and either overclock or undervolt until you max out at thermals you're happy with. The good news is that most of the non-X chips are set to 65W, the bad news is AMD still seems to measure their TDP differently than Intel.

Nimikins

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
That's what I'm thinking. It is odd that the 1600x is 95W and the 1700 is 65W, but Ryzen only seems to have those two categories as far as I can tell. I'm guessing they are upping the clock speed as the # of cores goes down. I am looking forward to the itx ryzen build from TekEverything. I can wait a month for the benchmarks on the 1600 because we havent even seen real announcements for the boards yet. I suspect now that we have a release date for the second wave we will soon.

Reactions: zovc

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
That's what I'm thinking. It is odd that the 1600x is 95W and the 1700 is 65W, but Ryzen only seems to have those two categories as far as I can tell. I'm guessing they are upping the clock speed as the # of cores goes down. I am looking forward to the itx ryzen build from TekEverything. I can wait a month for the benchmarks on the 1600 because we havent even seen real announcements for the boards yet. I suspect now that we have a release date for the second wave we will soon.
you have more fortitude and dedication to wait for parts than I ever did, props to that.

It seems the 1700 is a REALLY compelling price/performance if you do plan to wait. I really want to see Ryzen S4 mini builds with that... because they're really going to be unique for many reasons. a 65watt CPU that can pump out serious gaming performance can get paired with a nice GPU and probably run off the an HDPLEX Pico-PSU! Also you have the benefits of not needing to delid to get the low air-cooling "Hyper-212 level" temps from an NH-L9i since AMD seem to have done a great job with the integrated TIM on Ryzen. And on top of that, if game developers start to take advantage of more cores, then Ryzen might overtake Kaby Lake in gaming performance down the line.

Reactions: Nimikins and DJH

Nimikins

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
you have more fortitude and dedication to wait for parts than I ever did, props to that.

It seems the 1700 is a REALLY compelling price/performance if you do plan to wait. I really want to see Ryzen S4 mini builds with that... because they're really going to be unique for many reasons. a 65watt CPU that can pump out serious gaming performance can get paired with a nice GPU and probably run off the an HDPLEX Pico-PSU! Also you have the benefits of not needing to delid to get the low air-cooling "Hyper-212 level" temps from an NH-L9i since AMD seem to have done a great job with the integrated TIM on Ryzen. And on top of that, if game developers start to take advantage of more cores, then Ryzen might overtake Kaby Lake in gaming performance down the line.
Oh it's hard. I spend hours and hours a day now obsessing over it. I am desperately searching for an inkling of a mobo.
In a way it's easy, because I have a computer. My SON doesn't right now though, so that is probably my biggest driving factor.
I can also distract myself by looking into things like tools for cabling mods .
I also have a side of 8oz leather that might make a really nice carry case for the S4 if I can get over my fear of messing it up and just cut the leather.
;)

Reactions: Curiosity

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016

I'm holding out for ITX + the 1700 Pro which is also 65w.

Reactions: zovc

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
The 1060 is just so powerful. The 1070 is insanely powerful. For the games you are playing, the 1060 would be awesome real world card. ARK I agree with you on...it just doesn't work well with any card and you don't see much gain for your dollar brute forcing--but if money is no object, then hey!

Get a second opinion, but from what it sounds like, I think the 1060 is your card.

Peace!
Just to add my two cents. I have debated so much over the best graphics card when I ordered my S4 Mini for my use scenario (gaming) with titles like Minecraft,BF1,COD,H1Z1 and a few more. Now I took a downgrade when I bought into the S4 Mini, I went from a custom loop with a 6700K and a GTX 1080. I decided to sell it all and take a gamble that I don't regret doing what so ever. I run a 2560x1080 Acer Z35 on a daily basis and I absolutely love this thing and the OC that clocks up to 200hz (TROLOLOL). I don't notice the difference between the 1080 and the 1060 on this monitor now I am not saying your mileage would be different but for me the 1060 is an absolute beast and I am glad I listened to Josh and others on this card. I have the EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC and I love it the fan is silent under light loads like Minecraft and it is quiet (If you tune it) with loads like BF1. Again all of this is from my personal experience from "downgrading" if you even want to call it that. Haha!

Reactions: Josh | NFC and zovc

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
Now I have built my custom S4 that is currently waiting on Josh to mod my HDPlex cables so I can finish and post the build! I have a little theory that I would like to test. I shipped my i5-7600 back to amazon this week and bought a used i7-6700T on ebay for the exact same price. I was expecting lower temps being a 35w chip but what do you know! It's the exact same... Now here is my theory and I want opinions on what to test, I was getting 72C in BF1 and 82C in intel extreme test. I didn't even try prime95 on this chip, but I think my Asus Z270i Strix board is overheating and adding heat to this chip. I could be completely wrong but a 35w CPU with a notcua l9i shouldn't run at 72c on an open bench. I know there are many variables to consider but I have taken out many like replacing/reseating the CPU and getting the same results, so now it is time to change motherboards to make sure that I have not gone completely crazy! My main question is if I went with h270 would I get any temp difference coming from z270 as in lower temps on the CPU? The only reason I question this motherboard is because it has reset on me twice in the past week and the last ASUS board I had died and had to go RMA. Thanks for any input in advance!

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
I do not believe that the chipset would impact the CPU temp. First I would consider where the temperature monitoring software is pulling data from, obviously the CPU would be from the CPU but the system temp might not be from the chipset (speaking freely without looking at your specific hardware).

I am surprised at the temps you are getting though because MOBO box bench testing my hardware (i7 6700 with stock Intel fan and H170i PRO AC) I have an avg load temp of 35°C and MAX 61°C during stress tests. I will be doing more thorough testing with more variables so I dont have any gaming data or Prime95 data yet.

Hope you can find a simple solution because I was considering upgrading to the Z270i Strix purely for dual M.2 storage even though I am using a Skylake locked CPU.

CPUz results:
Intel® Core™ i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Multiplier Current: 37 / Min: 8 / Max: 40
Architecture Skylake / R0-Step (14 nm)
Cpuid / Ext. 6.E.3 / 6.5E
IA Extensions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x, AES, AVX, AVX2, FMA3, TSX
Caches L1D : 32 KB / L2 : 256 KB / L3 : 8192 KB
Caches Assoc. L1D : 8-way / L2 : 4-way / L3 : 16-way
Microcode Rev. 0x00000A6
TDP / Vcore 65 Watts / 1.112 Volts
Temperature 61 °C / 142 °F
Type Retail (Stock Frequency : 3400 MHz)

Last edited:

Nimikins

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
Just to add my two cents. I have debated so much over the best graphics card when I ordered my S4 Mini for my use scenario (gaming) with titles like Minecraft,BF1,COD,H1Z1 and a few more. Now I took a downgrade when I bought into the S4 Mini, I went from a custom loop with a 6700K and a GTX 1080. I decided to sell it all and take a gamble that I don't regret doing what so ever. I run a 2560x1080 Acer Z35 on a daily basis and I absolutely love this thing and the OC that clocks up to 200hz (TROLOLOL). I don't notice the difference between the 1080 and the 1060 on this monitor now I am not saying your mileage would be different but for me the 1060 is an absolute beast and I am glad I listened to Josh and others on this card. I have the EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC and I love it the fan is silent under light loads like Minecraft and it is quiet (If you tune it) with loads like BF1. Again all of this is from my personal experience from "downgrading" if you even want to call it that. Haha!
Thanks for the feedback. Like I said the only reason I really want to upgrade from the 270 is ARK, an tbh ARK graphics are the hottest mess I have every seen. They can be stunning, but I'm running a 2560x1080 (21:9) monitor, and the 270x struggles on High. To be fair I have a buddy who runs dual 1080s on ARK and can run it at epic @ 40 frames a second. I really think the 1060 is probably going to be that sweet spot for me at the moment. I briefly looked at the 480/580 but if I'm going to go all AMD I'll probably just wait for the Vega 10/11. This is all assuming I can manage to wait and don't just run down to microcenter tomorrow when my case gets here ;)

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
I do not believe that the chipset would impact the CPU temp. First I would consider where the temperature monitoring software is pulling data from, obviously the CPU would be from the CPU but the system temp might not be from the chipset (speaking freely without looking at your specific hardware).

I am surprised at the temps you are getting though because MOBO box bench testing my hardware (i7 6700 with stock Intel fan and H170i PRO AC) I have an avg load temp of 35°C and MAX 61°C during stress tests. I will be doing more thorough testing with more variables so I dont have any gaming data or Prime95 data yet.

Hope you can find a simple solution because I was considering upgrading to the Z270i Strix purely for dual M.2 storage even though I am using a Skylake locked CPU.

CPUz results:
Intel® Core™ i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Multiplier Current: 37 / Min: 8 / Max: 40
Architecture Skylake / R0-Step (14 nm)
Cpuid / Ext. 6.E.3 / 6.5E
IA Extensions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x, AES, AVX, AVX2, FMA3, TSX
Caches L1D : 32 KB / L2 : 256 KB / L3 : 8192 KB
Caches Assoc. L1D : 8-way / L2 : 4-way / L3 : 16-way
Microcode Rev. 0x00000A6
TDP / Vcore 65 Watts / 1.112 Volts
Temperature 61 °C / 142 °F
Type Retail (Stock Frequency : 3400 MHz)
I will have to test further with a different board/manufacturer and I got this board for the M.2 as well but I have noticed some high temps on a couple people's build's with this board as well it seems. Again I have to dig deeper into this and hopefully it's just an isolated incident with this board but I want to test others to compare results. I will post results once I have some concrete results to share.