S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
So I have an update about the Asus z270i mess... I have sent it back to amazon and I am keeping this ugly gigabyte board lol, it really is bad. I did some testing and look at the numbers below. IF you have one of these boards and are getting hot temps on them I strongly recommend taking them back if you can. This is the second board that has done this to me.
ASUS Temps:
BF1 Mutiplayer TDM: 72c
Minecraft Mutiplayer: 57c
H1Z1: 69c
GTA V: 71c
Prime95: 92c
Idle: 39c
Gigabyte Temps:
BF1 Mutiplayer TDM: 57c
Minecraft Mutiplayer: 48c
H1Z1: 60c
GTA V: 58c
Prime95: Not tested yet
Idle: 32c
There have been some major swings in these temps with battlefield being one of the biggest. I don't know if it's just me that got a bad board but 2 in a row like this is fishy. All these test were done on a i7-6700T and a EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC.
What? Nah bro I want to know what CPU cooler you used on the Z270i, and i'd like to see a picture of how you had it mounted in the PC. and are these temps from INSIDE your S4 mini? Or in an open-air testbench?

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
Weather in my area prevented me from being able to do my modification and this weekend is not looking any better.

M̶y̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶r̶a̶n̶/̶c̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶r̶a̶p̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶s̶k̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶e̶p̶a̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶t̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶y̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶u̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶ ̶F̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶l̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶o̶r̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶ ̶f̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶r̶e̶a̶k̶d̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶t̶u̶t̶o̶r̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶m̶u̶n̶i̶t̶y̶.̶
̶
̶P̶l̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶e̶m̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶i̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶u̶r̶c̶e̶.̶ ̶O̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶"̶o̶p̶e̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶r̶e̶s̶"̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶s̶t̶i̶c̶ ̶f̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶l̶a̶d̶e̶s̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶o̶a̶m̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶l̶i̶c̶a̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶g̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶y̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶p̶e̶r̶a̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶a̶r̶m̶e̶d̶ ̶d̶y̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶u̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶
̶
̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶h̶u̶g̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶l̶a̶b̶o̶r̶/̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶n̶s̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶i̶m̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶C̶P̶U̶ ̶c̶o̶o̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶f̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶b̶s̶e̶s̶s̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶t̶a̶i̶l̶ ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶s̶t̶a̶n̶d̶.̶ ̶W̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶s̶u̶b̶m̶e̶r̶g̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶n̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶t̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶f̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶o̶r̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶b̶a̶l̶a̶n̶c̶e̶d̶/̶s̶i̶l̶e̶n̶t̶.̶
̶
̶E̶n̶s̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶f̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶y̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶u̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶y̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶s̶o̶r̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶ ̶D̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶b̶l̶a̶d̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶p̶e̶r̶a̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶a̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶w̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶w̶o̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶r̶i̶s̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶d̶a̶m̶a̶g̶e̶/̶w̶a̶r̶p̶i̶n̶g̶.̶
̶
̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶ ̶a̶c̶h̶i̶e̶v̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶i̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶u̶l̶t̶s̶.̶
̶

Along with the NF-A9x14 I planned to dye the HDPlex 24 pin cable for those who wanted a simple aesthetic mod.

Edit: Reason for needing to be outdoors during this is that the dye including the steam will stain work surfaces and has an odor that is not toxic but undesirable. Also, the dye is iDye poly specifically not Rit/DyeMore/other fabric dyes. This product is used by keyboard enthusiasts to dye plastics with fantastic results. Any questions on supplies or process just shoot me a PM if this starts clogging the thread.
UPDATE EDIT: My theory for dyeing the fan is correct but my execution was sub-par resulting in only partial dye absorption. I have edited with strikethrough admitting that dyeing of the fan blades separate from frame is not possible because optimal temperatures of both the dye and fan surface are difficult to control (they cool off rapidly)

I will be reassessing my steps but ultimately believe that total fan submersion is necessary for both surfaces to be at the ideal temperature to achieve a satisfactory result. I have already sacrificed one fan and will proceed with this project but cannot recommend it due to it possibly killing the fan in the process.

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
I couldn't find any feet at my local hardware store but I think the D20s are quite nice :)

I've been using doorstoppers. I like the way it slants the chassis :D

I've also got ~80 small rubber feet. I can give you 4 if you need though they don't provide much clearance.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
If you could do that as a project I would be so down for buying set.
I have a drill press and some 1/4" magnets. I can't imagine it would be that hard. I might have to dig out my lb of dice.

Yeah the only problem (as with most machining) is making a fixture for it. Once that is done it is a pretty simple operation.

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
What? Nah bro I want to know what CPU cooler you used on the Z270i, and i'd like to see a picture of how you had it mounted in the PC. and are these temps from INSIDE your S4 mini? Or in an open-air testbench?
Same CPU cooler as you, Noctua L9i. I will take a picture of it when I get home. All tests that I posted are inside the S4 mini with the side panel off in both tests as I don't have my HDPlex yet. I would also like to add that I didn't say it's an issue with every z270i. I am just saying that I have had two of there boards and each one got messed up from heat. I'm just sharing my results that I got from moving to a different brand. All I am saying is that if this board has high temps you should return it but that is just my opinion.

Last edited:

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
Can I ask you to do a cinebench R15 run of multi and single core performance?
Maybe a firestrike run if you wouldn't mind?

I'm planning to move to a 6700T soon and am trying to figure out just what to expect performance-wise in the switch from my 3570K.
I get a 147 single core, and 571 for multicore in R15.
Got a 10338 overall and a 7511 physics score (13370 on graphics) with regular firestrike.

3570k@4ghz/1060SC/ 16gb DDR3 2000mhz
I will run a test tonight when I get home.

Reactions: Curiosity

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
The Galax 1070 Mini fits excellently in the S4 Mini!

Sorry, I don't have much of anything else to put in the case right now...

Edit: What's more, it just needs a baby tilt to fit it into the case, no need to remove the bezel or anything crazy.

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
I just ran the Cinebench numbers and here they are for the i7-6700T.
Single Core: 139 CB
Multi-Core: 515 CB

My GTX 1060 scored with a 101.80 FPS on OpenGL as well.

Too be honest I never notice any difference between this processor and the i5-7600 I had. It performs my needs well, I don't render or edit content only play games and do school work. It's perfect for my needs and keeps my S4 running cool and quiet.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Yeah, that's the one. In the US, you buy it from here. They're based out of Taiwan and the shipping confirmation took a while, but it only took about a week for the card to get to me. You have to make an account to add the card to your cart.

Edit: Note I haven't tested the card or its thermals yet!

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I just ran the Cinebench numbers and here they are for the i7-6700T.
Single Core: 139 CB
Multi-Core: 515 CB

My GTX 1060 scored with a 101.80 FPS on OpenGL as well.

Too be honest I never notice any difference between this processor and the i5-7600 I had. It performs my needs well, I don't render or edit content only play games and do school work. It's perfect for my needs and keeps my S4 running cool and quiet.
Not bad, thanks a ton for running the benchmark!
For the lower TDP I think I can roll with those slightly lower numbers. :)

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
If you opt for an i3-7100 you're looking at a CPU with a 51W TDP and Cinebench numbers below.
Singe Core: 168 CB
Multi-Core: 425 CB

You're essentially splitting the difference on TDP but looking at increased single core performance and decreased multi-core performance at almost a third of the retail cost. Just something to keep in mind if someone is looking for a lower TDP processor to fit in an S4 mini and is already okay with sacrificing some performance. Or if you're interested in an extra 100Mhz you can pay an extra ~$18 for an i3-7300.

I'm going to undervolt my Xeon E3-1230 V3 (80W) and push it for as long as I can but once I'm in the market for a new CPU or am looking to update my motherboard to take advantage of some new tech I'll probably consider a top of the line i3. I went overkill with my current chip when I bought it 3 and a half years ago. Then again, I don't currently use a lot of software at home that could take advantage of the high multi-core performance 8 threads have to offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
A very interesting option indeed!
Maybe I'll get the 7100 or 7300 to see how it does, and if I find it lacking I'll go for a 6700T.
I'm still stuck undecided if I want the Asrock Z270 ITX/AC or the strix, dual M.2 is amazing but at the moment I've got 2x 2.5" drives and no M.2, and I prefer the IO of the asrock. (and it's cheaper aha)

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
I only paid 240 for my 6700T that's why I got that one. I was going to get a 7700T but the price is what got me for sure. I found at least with my games that my i5 7600 65w chip didn't play as nice with certain games (i.e. cpu demanding titles.). I actually get higher frame rates inside GTA V and Battlefield 3,4,1. If you play less demanding games then sure lesser CPU is fine but this 6700T chews though anything I throw at it with ease and I can say I am very happy going the i7 route instead of keeping the i5.