S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Sorry, but just for clarification going from the 14mm Noctua fan to the 25mm Redux increased temperatures by 4 degrees? Also the redux fan was touching the side panel when it was screwed on?

Also the issue I have with the HSLP-48 design is that there is so much wasted space from the top of the heatsink to the base.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Sorry, but just for clarification going from the 14mm Noctua fan to the 25mm Redux increased temperatures by 4 degrees? Also the redux fan was touching the side panel when it was screwed on?

Also the issue I have with the HSLP-48 design is that there is so much wasted space from the top of the heatsink to the base.
Yes to all the above. My 7700k was overclocked to 4.8GHz at 1.28vcore (no c-states) when I did my idle temp testing, here were the results:

A9x14-PWM the CPU was idle at 52/53c. (on the hottest core)
BF-B9 Redux the CPU was idle at 57-58c. (on the hottest core)

Here is my post in my S4's Build Log on my testing with the NF-B9 in the S4 Mini: click

If you'd like, I could retest my temps with the CPU at STOCK clocks & vcore (no c-states or "Intel Speedstep"). It's super easy to swap the fan. I can even additionally test the idle temps with c-states ON, if you'd like.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
So I have yet to receive my LP53 cooler yet... but in the meantime did 4 things to my S4 build! read more about what i did, in detail: here

What I wanted to ask was if anyone knows what amount of space I should have on the bottom of the S4 if it's sitting horizontally, for proper ventilation. Right now it's sitting 1/4 of an inch up because the squishy feet I got from amazon are VERY GOOD at being grippy and skid resistant, but they are SUPER squishy and they squish down too much under the case's weight. See below:
Here's my 3/4 inch squishy Sorbothane rubber feet! They kinda squished down from the weight of the S4 because they are squishy, I REALLY wish they were a hard and didn't get squished down, so the S4 could float a little higher than that.

Here's 2 pics of the case and how the Acrylics catches the RGB lighting of the z270i (sorry for iPhone 6 quality pics):

So is that enough ventilation space? Does anyone recommend any other dubber feet that are harder or thicker? (remember I have the 1080 mini in there so i really am worried about it not getting enough vent room)

castrojo

What's an ITX?
Mar 15, 2017
Does anyone recommend any other dubber feet that are harder or thicker?

The Tek Everything guy (who does S4 mini builds on youtube) recommended these to me and they've got good clearance: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042U6ZDU/?tag=theminutiae-20

I've recently gotten my first S4 done (I snagged #186 from a guy on r/sffpc) and just finished my Strix Z270 build so I haven't gotten a chance to post pics yet. Hey so for your back mounted SSD it looks like you're bending the PCB of the drive. If you look in the box there's a tiny spacer screw that you screw into the board and then you screw the drive into that so it doesn't bend. It's very easy to miss, I nearly threw mine away accidentally. I'm really glad I waited and sprung for this board, the dual M.2's and glowing out of the bottom of the case is just too awesome.

Do you have a link to the cable you used for the usb 3.0 header? I'd like to internalize my steam controller dongle as well!

Reactions: CubanLegend

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
The Tek Everything guy (who does S4 mini builds on youtube) recommended these to me and they've got good clearance: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042U6ZDU/?tag=theminutiae-20

I've recently gotten my first S4 done (I snagged #186 from a guy on r/sffpc) and just finished my Strix Z270 build so I haven't gotten a chance to post pics yet. Hey so for your back mounted SSD it looks like you're bending the PCB of the drive. If you look in the box there's a tiny spacer screw that you screw into the board and then you screw the drive into that so it doesn't bend. It's very easy to miss, I nearly threw mine away accidentally. I'm really glad I waited and sprung for this board, the dual M.2's and glowing out of the bottom of the case is just too awesome.

Do you have a link to the cable you used for the usb 3.0 header? I'd like to internalize my steam controller dongle as well!
yeah i ended up buying the smaller 3/4 inch ones since the big fat 1 inch ones looked too big, IMO. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IMSIBA/?tag=theminutiae-20 I'll pass by home deopt this week and report back if i find any better hard rubber feet to use. :)

Nice, you snagged an S4! :) Oh and thanks for the tip on the M.2 drive, I noticed the PCB was bending a little so I'll definitely go back and install that little tiny screw/spacer. It's SO AWESOME how you can install and uninstall both M.2's without having to remove the motherboard from the S4. :D

The link to the cable I used is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P5TSJK4/?tag=theminutiae-20 sorry I didn't link to it on my PCPartPicker, it's linked now. :)

Nimikins

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
*sorry if this is the wrong place*
My S4 mini will be here soon, so I need some advice. This computer will be replacing the one I have now, as my old system is going to my teenager. (His died)
I currently have an i5-4690k paired with a 270x. I always meant to replace the graphics card, but never did (previously had 2500k paired with 6970).
I mostly play ARK: Survival Evolved, and then I'm all over the map. Minecraft, Skyrim, Oxygen Not Included, city skylines, payday 2, Rust etc. simulation, strategy, role playing, sandbox mostly. I'm not really happy with the 270x. It does ok, but I'm not sure ANY card does ok with ARK.
My original plan was to wait for the Vega cards (and possibly zen r5) as I though I had until June. Now that I have the S4 sooner than planned, what are y'all thoughts?
I know the 1060 is 2x as good as what I had, but I think the 1070 or 1080 might be a little more future proof. Should I build now or see what AMD has to offer? The zen 1700 rates similiar to the 4690k with a lower TDP, but there are no itx AM4 boards yet. Thanks :)

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Yeah, like you said the photos don't do the case justice.

So, I don't think I want to recolor the whole case like I originally planned. Instead, I think I want to give it an 'accent color' on the inside.

Do you folks have any suggestions for recoloring the inside of a brushed aluminum S4 Mini? (@Josh | NFC)

It shouldn't be subject to much wear and tear at all, unless I goof here or there with assembly. I'm thinking even spray paint would be good enough, fairly inexpensive, and pretty easy to touch-up or re-do if I felt the need. Maybe I'm overestimating spray paint, though. Did anyone end up having success with Plastidip?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
My S4 mini will be here soon, so I need some advice. This computer will be replacing the one I have now, as my old system is going to my teenager. (His died)
I currently have an i5-4690k paired with a 270x. I always meant to replace the graphics card, but never did (previously had 2500k paired with 6970).
I mostly play ARK: Survival Evolved, and then I'm all over the map. Minecraft, Skyrim, Oxygen Not Included, city skylines, payday 2, Rust etc. simulation, strategy, role playing, sandbox mostly. I'm not really happy with the 270x. It does ok, but I'm not sure ANY card does ok with ARK.
My original plan was to wait for the Vega cards (and possibly zen r5) as I though I had until June. Now that I have the S4 sooner than planned, what are y'all thoughts?
I know the 1060 is 2x as good as what I had, but I think the 1070 or 1080 might be a little more future proof. Should I build now or see what AMD has to offer? The zen 1700 rates similiar to the 4690k with a lower TDP, but there are no itx AM4 boards yet. Thanks :)

The 1060 is just so powerful. The 1070 is insanely powerful. For the games you are playing, the 1060 would be awesome real world card. ARK I agree with you on...it just doesn't work well with any card and you don't see much gain for your dollar brute forcing--but if money is no object, then hey!

Get a second opinion, but from what it sounds like, I think the 1060 is your card.

Peace!

Reactions: ngriesdo

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016

So, I don't think I want to recolor the whole case like I originally planned. Instead, I think I want to give it an 'accent color' on the inside.

Do you folks have any suggestions for recoloring the inside of a brushed aluminum S4 Mini? (@Josh | NFC)

It shouldn't be subject to much wear and tear at all, unless I goof here or there with assembly. I'm thinking even spray paint would be good enough, fairly inexpensive, and pretty easy to touch-up or re-do if I felt the need. Maybe I'm overestimating spray paint, though. Did anyone end up having success with Plastidip?
i figure if you take all the panels off it would be easy to paint the interior.

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016

Get a second opinion, but from what it sounds like, I think the 1060 is your card.

Peace!

I agree with Josh that the 1060 is a good choice. I also am looking forward to Vega but the 1060 should be a good interim GPU and require the least amount of effort to put in an S4. Then if you decide to step up to Vega your son could get a lightly used 1060...you're such a nice father

Brushed Aluminum. I made the mistake of opening the box and it is gorgeous and I need to build in it.

I had a similar reaction when opening up the packaging. There is more flexibility going with plastidip for reversing your modification with out impacting the original finish only caveat is that plastidip finish wouldn't be as "smooth" as a proper paint job, but with that factor in mind the finished result can be very appealing.

I am in the opposite boat, where I want to paint the side panels but keep the frame and bezel the original color. Depending on color/paint you choose it may be as simple as prep, spray, and dry. I also don't know if there is a coating you would need to scuff/remove for optimal adhesion,@Josh | NFC ?

Reactions: Curiosity

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
1060 seems about right. :)

Brushed Aluminum. I made the mistake of opening the box and it is gorgeous and I need to build in it.
sweet, I look forward to the build thread.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I may just give plastidip a shot and see how it comes out, I'm considering black/white anyways and plastidip already comes in those. It would definitely be easy to remove if I didn't like it and it's not very expensive for such a small project.

I remember Josh suggested powder coating as the ideal form of coloring the case and certainly that would look good (taking for granted the professionals you used are good), but I don't know much about the process/whether they can powder only specific parts of a piece... it would make sense that they could but like I said I don't know what I'm talking about.

Nimikins

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
I agree with Josh that the 1060 is a good choice. I also am looking forward to Vega but the 1060 should be a good interim GPU and require the least amount of effort to put in an S4. Then if you decide to step up to Vega your son could get a lightly used 1060...you're such a nice father

ha ha ha ha. It's purely greed. I built my husband a 6600k/1070 machine for Christmas because he kept stealing my computer to play Fallout 4 :)
But I am an awesome mom, because I could totally sell the stuff rather than give it to him

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
ha ha ha ha. It's purely greed. I built my husband a 6600k/1070 machine for Christmas because he kept stealing my computer to play Fallout 4 :)
But I am an awesome mom, because I could totally sell the stuff rather than give it to him

Ffff...well my sincerest apologies.
Even better that you go with the flow but you can connect with your family on this type of activity. Mom's need to spoil themselves too buy the 1060 then sell it for Vega is my vote.

Reactions: Nimikins

Nimikins

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
Now 1060 vs 480? and do I wait for that sweet sweet r5 1600x?
and you aren't the only one (when i pointed out the sale on the zotax 1080mini someone said he's right)
**kinda why i added the female avatar, but I guess not to many people are familiar with Rosario+ vampire