S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
@Nimikins I upgraded from a GTX 1060 to a GTX 1070. I play @1440p 60fps and my top played game recently is Overwatch. I upgraded so I could enjoy stuff like the Witcher 3, but honestly with most games (Overwatch) I play it didn't make much of a difference. Now I'm looking at getting an S4 Mini and going back to a 1060 or even down to a 1050 Ti. If you're deciding between the two I would recommend going with a 1060 and saving yourself some money.

Edit: With the money you save you can just refresh more often. No need to worry about future proofing.

Last edited:

Nimikins

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
dang that rear I/O panel looks so bare it resembles a server board's rear I/O, dang that sucks. Hopefully the higher end Mini-ITX had more stuff

I'm ok with this. While I currently use all six USB ports on my pc, I don't see me hooking up my webcam and razer black widow to the s4, which brings me down to three- headset power, mouse, and keyboard. I need optical out for headset and I will have a discrete gpu for monitor.
I DO hope they have colors other than black and red.... because that WONT fit my plan for my S4

Edit- awwww dang. That's a z270 board. Their Facebook just says miniitx coming.

Last edited:

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
This board is ugly as anything but I ordered it to test to see if there is any difference between it or my Asus board. It should be here tomorrow! :thumb: Oh and a side note I tested with Prime95 for giggles just to see how bad this board really is. The board is now in the S4 but the cpu side is open due to PSU cables sticking out the sides, I tested it and it hit 92c before trying to shut it down and the board completely freaked out and reset twice... I did restart but was slow to do so, I won't be testing that again.

Last edited:

Nimikins

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
It's just a B350 model, hopefully the X370 is more packed lol.
I'm not sure the added cost of the 370 in a mini itx would be worth it. I think the idea is that the x300 is the sweet spot of sff. The case that was posted above says z270 on it, so I'm not sure it's AM4...

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
dang that rear I/O panel looks so bare it resembles a server board's rear I/O, dang that sucks. Hopefully the higher end Mini-ITX had more stuff

That was my beef with their Skylake boards as well. High-end Z170N Wifi having less USB ports than even their H110 ITX variant. Yet, unfortunately the H110 is missing the matte black finish that I so like.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
That was my beef with their Skylake boards as well. High-end Z170N Wifi having less USB ports than even their H110 ITX variant. Yet, unfortunately the H110 is missing the matte black finish that I so like.
I'm honestly considering the asrock Z270M-ITX/ac over the Strix Z270 because the I/O pushes all my buttons.
The dual M.2 is the only thing giving me pause. (maybe the rgb just a little too)
Asrock on top, Asus on the bottom.

Edit:

you lose USB-C and some audio out, but gain 2x usb 3.0, and an extra ethernet jack, and some legacy connections.

Last edited:

Nimikins

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
was that a custom powder coated S4? Nice! It resembles the first set of black powder coated ones, but with a more Grey color.
It is a custom powder coat. If you watched the S3-001 video it is the Steel Ocean Josh talked about. It looked much darker in the photos Josh posted, but it really is best seen in person. It runs from a middle grey to a very dark gunmetal depending on the lighting. It also is sparkly in a good and not overdone way. My husband has already threatened to steal it.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
What low profile cooler are those waiting on ryzen itx boards planning to use? I was disappointed the argon 5 wasnt getting an adapter kit, and ive got it in my head the noctua wont work either (maybe im wrong?).

Planning on using the wraith stealth?

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
So I have an update about the Asus z270i mess... I have sent it back to amazon and I am keeping this ugly gigabyte board lol, it really is bad. I did some testing and look at the numbers below. IF you have one of these boards and are getting hot temps on them I strongly recommend taking them back if you can. This is the second board that has done this to me.
ASUS Temps:
BF1 Mutiplayer TDM: 72c
Minecraft Mutiplayer: 57c
H1Z1: 69c
GTA V: 71c
Prime95: 92c
Idle: 39c
Gigabyte Temps:
BF1 Mutiplayer TDM: 57c
Minecraft Mutiplayer: 48c
H1Z1: 60c
GTA V: 58c
Prime95: Not tested yet
Idle: 32c
There have been some major swings in these temps with battlefield being one of the biggest. I don't know if it's just me that got a bad board but 2 in a row like this is fishy. All these test were done on a i7-6700T and a EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC.

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

Nimikins

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
What low profile cooler are those waiting on ryzen itx boards planning to use? I was disappointed the argon 5 wasnt getting an adapter kit, and ive got it in my head the noctua wont work either (maybe im wrong?).

Planning on using the wraith stealth?
I'm not sure the wraith stealth would work. I will look into it. Personally I have access to a CNC shop and a machinist plus I own a 3D printer, so I'm sure I can come up with something.

I'm betting something will come out by the time the itx boards are available.

Last edited:

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
All these test were done on a i7-6700T and a EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC.
Can I ask you to do a cinebench R15 run of multi and single core performance?
Maybe a firestrike run if you wouldn't mind?

I'm planning to move to a 6700T soon and am trying to figure out just what to expect performance-wise in the switch from my 3570K.
I get a 147 single core, and 571 for multicore in R15.
Got a 10338 overall and a 7511 physics score (13370 on graphics) with regular firestrike.

3570k@4ghz/1060SC/ 16gb DDR3 2000mhz