RTX A2000 Full Copper Low Profile Single Slot Edition - aka A2000 SpongeBob Copperpants Mod

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Am glad to have found this forum here, your 1Slot solution I find terrific.
Sorry that I have no suggestion for improvement to your idea, but I hope that you can help me.

I could not find anything where I could order an A2000 waterblock, could you make me a template for a heatsink?
Would be really strong, so I could then connect an adapter on it and connect them to my external radiator.
I second this, a waterblock would be awesome. Not really @REVOCCASES area of expertise though.

I'd look into some of the smaller manufacturers (Bykski etc) to see if they're going to release something, otherwise it might be a case of either:
- use an existing cold-plate for GPU, add heatspreaders for power/memory components, mount all of it to a large block of copper, with machined acrylic/acetal for channelling the fluid in/out
- going full custom, design and machine a monoblock specifically for the A2000, which will be very expensive.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
Am glad to have found this forum here, your 1Slot solution I find terrific.
Sorry that I have no suggestion for improvement to your idea, but I hope that you can help me.

I could not find anything where I could order an A2000 waterblock, could you make me a template for a heatsink?
Would be really strong, so I could then connect an adapter on it and connect them to my external radiator.

I'm not sure when the next restock is but this waterblock exists:

Schestex

Case Bender
New User
Mar 31, 2022
I'm not sure when the next restock is but this waterblock exists:
There I had made a request of 4 pieces, but so far no answer. Therefore, here the attempt to get the data of the heat sink so that I can ask locally or nearby at a CNC company whether they create me 4 such parts.

Then I only need to attach my water adapter to it and have an active water cooling ;-)

Reactions: rcodi

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
some updates on the project...

1) I've made another copper cooler with copper sponge but unfortunately it does not perform so well. with the fan at the end of the card there is not enough airflow / air pressure to push all the way trough the sponge. The very first design with the fan in the middle worked much better so I will not follow this up any longer.

2) I've tested my CNCd aluminum cooler over the past few days in my new 1L Pocket Rocket and I think that this design is the overall best compromise in terms of cost / performance / size. What I found out is that the stock voltages and boost clocks of the A2000 are unnecessarily high and by undervolting and setting clock limits you can run the card about 10C cooler while at the same time gaining almost 300 more TimeSpy GPU points. I'll try to summarize my findings and benchmarks in the next couple of days but in the meantime - if you own a A2000 - you can just try to limit your card in Afterburner with 700mV / 1500Mhz...

maybe I'll look into this after I have finalized the air cooler design but no promises...

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
1) I've made another copper cooler with copper sponge but unfortunately it does not perform so well. with the fan at the end of the card there is not enough airflow / air pressure to push all the way trough the sponge. The very first design with the fan in the middle worked much better so I will not follow this up any longer.
Thank you for trying!

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
maybe I'll look into this after I have finalized the air cooler design but no promises...
Have you already made the mechanical / engineering diagram showing the mounting points and cutouts for the heatsink?

I don’t have a card with me to scan & measure, but I reckon with those details @Schestex and I could probably design a waterblock that’s feasible.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Have you already made the mechanical / engineering diagram showing the mounting points and cutouts for the heatsink?

I don’t have a card with me to scan & measure, but I reckon with those details @Schestex and I could probably design a waterblock that’s feasible.

You can use the drawings / models I shared on page 1 and 2 of this thread.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
for those interested to get this cooler made by me, please let me know in the new thread I created:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Holy Moly ! If only I could find an A2000 at a decent price, not twice the MSRP. Even searched for Dell, Lenovo, etc. ones, but no luck. I'm not paying 700+ euros for a 6GB or 1000+ euros for the 12GB 😨

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
good ideas, I've made a draft with two 60mm fans accordingly.... do you think that would work for you:

may be a daft question, but does setting fans "inside" the fins impact performance a lot for reduced height, e.g. like in Gelid Slim Silence?

I was surprised with my Gelid's performance. Could a heatsink with taller fins, but two fans set "inside" perform better, be quieter, lower and be cheaper to CNC than the copper sponge with one fan in the centre, or fins with only one blower fan at one end?

PS
Love the "SpongeBob CopperPants" name 😆

Reactions: Coskan

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
may be a daft question, but does setting fans "inside" the fins impact performance a lot for reduced height, e.g. like in Gelid Slim Silence?

I was surprised with my Gelid's performance. Could a heatsink with taller fins, but two fans set "inside" perform better, be quieter, lower and be cheaper to CNC than the copper sponge with one fan in the centre, or fins with only one blower fan at one end?

PS
Love the "SpongeBob CopperPants" name 😆
That would reduce the surface area by quite a lot, so I would expect it to hurt cooling even if airflow was improved. There's definitely a balance to be found there somewhere, but in this small an area I would expect the lost surface area to be too much.

Reactions: timginter

curzondax

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 22, 2023
Hi All,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'd like to install this card in an HDPLEX H5 using the passive GPU add-on kit:

However, HDPLEX hasn't been able to verify if this card is compatible, since it requires printing a the 1-1 scale cutout and seeing if the heatsink will be able to match one of the mounting patterns.
1:1 cutout: https://hdplex.com/pub/media/image/...rview/HDPLEX.GPU.Copper.Base.Compatibilty.pdf

If anyone could verify or point me in the right direction, I'd be most grateful.