Custom heatsink for the RTX A2000

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Hey everyone! The RTX A2000 is a great little card, but its noise botters me. The fan runs at a minimum of 3000 RPM and this is not inaudible at all. Especially after ramping down after load, it tends to remain louder than I would like.

Previous AIB low profile cards like the 1050ti and 1650 could easily be deshrouded and made inaudible by using aftermarket 60mm fans. I use two Noctua NF-A6x25 fans to cool my MSI GTX 1650 in my Talos case, and they manage to keep it at 75C under full load while remaining very quiet at 1800 RPM. I want to do the same with my A2000, but this requires making a new heatsink.

Thankfully, I'm not the first to attempt this as @REVOCCASES has done a great job already at creating custom coolers for the A2000. He was kind enough to open source his designs so I could use that as a starting point. I wanted a solution that was a little less complex and expensive, so CNC'ing the whole thing wasn't an option.

That's why I went looking for aftermarket heatsinks that could be adapted to my needs. The requirements where its dimensions, which needed to be within the limits af a low profile GPU, but it should be able to mount two 60mm fans. The base should also be thick enough so I could mill away some material to make room for the caps and other components on the GPU.

I found 2 good candidates: an extruded aluminium heatsink of 150mm x 60mm x 18.5mm and a skived copper heatink of 120mm x 60mm x 20mm. It would be interesting to see how the aluminium and copper compare to eachother. The aluminium end product should be very similar to my 1650 so should have comparable results.

The hardest part will be the milling. My CNC router is not strong enough to mill aluminium or copper as it's mainly used for wood and the eventual PCB. I'll go with a more 'manual' approach, using a hand router and a 3d printed template that should allow me to mill pretty accurate. I'll also need to tap some holes and think of a safe way to mount the heatsink without risk of damaging the silicon.

Spoiler: I already created the aluminium version and it works well. It keeps my A2000 at 72C with the fans at 1800RPM. This topic will cover the process of creating the copper version so I can share my manufacturing methods and to see if it performs better then the aluminium version. So stay tuned!

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
I always get excited when I see one of these threads come up and hope it goes somewhere. I do think with the copper ram spacer mod/repaste that the card is quite good now with the stock blower but there's certainly room to drive the temps down versus the "just good enough" stock heatsink. If you do reach the end and have a good, performant copper model I'd be interested in commissioning one from you!

Reactions: SFFManiac07

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Here we go!

This is the 120x60x20 copper block. It weighs a ton, 3 times as much as the aluminium version. The skiving is done very well and the finish on the block is nice and smooth.

This is the template that I have printed, with notches for the mill and mounting holes.

The block inserts like this, which should make the use of the template more clear. The tiny holes are for a 1.5mm drill and the large holes are for the mill.

First comes drilling ad tapping. The template also serves to keep my tap straight. Tapping an M2 hole is stresfull as the tap is so tiny and brittle...

Phew, that went well! Fun fact, I used high fat milk as cutting fluid because I read on a couple of forums that it works well with copper. Aluminium goes well with WD40.

Now for the milling. I'm using a simple 4mm HSS mill with 2 flutes. You can see the template guide around the end mill which should explain how it will work with the 3D printed template. This is a 10mm template guide so the cur will be a little bit smaller that the holes I have in my template, 3mm to be exact. (3 mm border + 4mm mill + 3mm border = 10mm)

The printed template is bolted to a wooden scrap board, which is clamped to my table. This thing won't move anymore. Always use safety glasses when milling!

Cut in progress... You may have noticed, it's cold here!

First cut done! I'm cutting off 0.5mm at a time. Rather a few thin more cuts than destroying your end mill. The surface finish isn't the best on some places, but I think that's mainly because there is some flex in the plastic template.

This should do it. I cut off 3.2mm from the 3.5mm base, but as you can see, I got through at some points. Tolerances are probably not really on point at my end.

Back inside. Warm again, phew! The parts where I went through the base look a bit whack, but that will hardly be visible once mounted.

I found these threaded offsets for m.2 drives but supposedly they're the exact format I need for mounting the block without putting too much force on the silicon.

Followed by some silicon washers...

And mounted! The stock backplate works well, I only needed new M2 screws because the original ones didn't work with my design.

Fitment is great. This is a part where I didn't go through the base so you can see how little reserve there is. The memory got new 2mm thermal pads, the original ones where too thin and sticked to the heatsink too hard.

The I/O bracket cannot be attached to the heatsink as it's too short so I just bolt it down with M2.5 screws.

Et voila, inside my case! Unfortunately, the fan position doesn't line up 100% with the heatsink on this revision of my case, but I'm working on a new revision using the HDPlex 250w GAN psu.

Now for some thermal results... The results are good, that's a start, but not as great as I was hoping. It beats the aluminium version by about 2-3C but I was hoping the difference would be more profound. I'm guessing it's still a solid result nonetheless, as it's actually a bit smaller and the fans don't line up perfectly. But in practice, I don't notice any substantial difference between the two.

I will run some benchmarks at various fan speeds later on to compare the two heatsinks. For now, they both excel at what I needed them to do: keep the A2000 cool and quiet.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
This is super cool! (Pun intended)

This is going on the to do list for when I find a 12gb a2000 for a reasonable price.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Last edited:
Reactions: SFFManiac07

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I bought one from this particular vendor for the same price and it's fine. It's the bulk version with both brackets. It didn't have any mini dp adapters though. Probably an ex mining card.
Guess I'll be 320€ lighter once I reach home ... in 30min or so XD

Edit: I'm 320€ lighter 😂

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Edit: I'm 320€ lighter 😂

Congratulations, it's a great little beast and you'll love it! :D

I did some benchmarks with both of the heatsinks and here are the results. I took 1800 RPM as a baseline as that was the highest I could go before the fans started to get noticable. Going lower increased temperature but didn't really decrease noise. The memory is always about the same temperature as the core, the hotspot is about 6C warmer.

Fan RPMAluminiumCopper
180072C70C
220069C66C
250067C63C
280064C60C

As you can see, the difference isn't all that big. The copper heatsink has better potential at higher rpm's, but that's not really what I'm aiming at.

I consider this project and experiment a succes If you'd happen to copnsider doing this yourself, I would suggest taking the aluminium approach as it's lower profile, an easier material to work with and less expensive. Materials can be sourced here and STL for the template can be provided upon request:

- Copper heatsink: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004025456486.html
- Aluminium heatsink: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33047061567.html
- Threaded offsets: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004218160198.html
- 2x M2x4mm bolts with a flat head that isn't too small (at least 4mm): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004510641730.html
- M3x6x0.5mm washers: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003631594043.html

Drop me a line if you need help with any of the above and we'll work something out.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Have you considered embedding heat pipes in the copper block? That might help transfer the heat to the bigger area and give a better temperature?

Would you consider cutting a couple of channels in your aluminium block to test?

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Have you considered embedding heat pipes in the copper block? That might help transfer the heat to the bigger area and give a better temperature?

Would you consider cutting a couple of channels in your aluminium block to test?

I've been thinking about it but the block is equally hot everywhere doing a very scientific 'fingerspitzengefühl' test, aka touching it with my fingers. The block is so small that heat doesn't have to travel far to reach the end. At this point, adding airflow is the best way to get temps down but they're perfectly fine so there's really no need.

I may test the block with 60x10 or 60x15 fans soon to stay within the 2 slot limit. This may change the situation so we'll see.

Smole

Chassis Packer
Apr 29, 2022
I bought one from this particular vendor for the same price and it's fine. It's the bulk version with both brackets. It didn't have any mini dp adapters though. Probably an ex mining card.
Thanks for the feedback on that vendor, been eying this for a moment. after asking him, he has confirmed he is selling the 12GB version for 310€ and 6GB version for 300€, one year warranty remaining currently. He says the price is so low because its the amount people actually accept buying the card for, hence why the only other ones available on the market are 600+€ for the 12 gig version, they dont sell.
Apparently they are indeed from open air "well cooled and fresh" (? XD) mining rigs.

i might very soon be 320€ lighter... (plus some thermal paste, pads and a few noctuas probably).

edit: i'm also 315€ lighter... i just hope it doesn't die after a few minths like my last card...

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
So I've been experimenting with some different fan configs and the first conclusion is a bit unsettling. The PWM header on the card itself controls the fan speed based on the temperature, but in absolute rotations per minute and not in relative speed percentages. Any fan I hook up to this header spins at 3000 RPM even at low temperatures.

First I thought the PWM wasn't working when the Nocua's span at 3000 rpm as it's pretty much their maximum RPM, but I also have some 60x15 Delta fans which have a higher max RPM and they also spin at 3000 RPM.

This brings me to the second conclusion: 60x15 fans can cool this GPU albeit a little bit hotter and louder. At 2000 RPM (PWM signal from the motherboard), the gpu gets up to 80C. It's still quiet but not as quiet as the Noctua's. However, the gpu barely stays within 2 slots this way.

For me, it's back to the Noctua's and the motherboard fan header :)

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
So I've been experimenting with some different fan configs and the first conclusion is a bit unsettling. The PWM header on the card itself controls the fan speed based on the temperature, but in absolute rotations per minute and not in relative speed percentages. Any fan I hook up to this header spins at 3000 RPM even at low temperatures.

First I thought the PWM wasn't working when the Nocua's span at 3000 rpm as it's pretty much their maximum RPM, but I also have some 60x15 Delta fans which have a higher max RPM and they also spin at 3000 RPM.

This brings me to the second conclusion: 60x15 fans can cool this GPU albeit a little bit hotter and louder. At 2000 RPM (PWM signal from the motherboard), the gpu gets up to 80C. It's still quiet but not as quiet as the Noctua's. However, the gpu barely stays within 2 slots this way.

For me, it's back to the Noctua's and the motherboard fan header :)

Yes, this fan behavior was observed by me during my build with @REVOCCASES heatsink, see post. I also ended up using the mobo header (with FanControl utility).

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Yes, this fan behavior was observed by me during my build with @REVOCCASES heatsink, see post. I also ended up using the mobo header (with FanControl utility).

Oh snap, I followed your thread back then but didn't realize until now that I could've known about this. It's not really an issue though, just a pity that you can't make a 'standalone' quiet cooler.

Reactions: morj and rcodi

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
So @Michael contacted me about selling him this heatsink and I agreed. I decided to request a vendor badge so I could officially sell stuff here. I'll launch a website soon with my products, but for now, you can pm me here if you're interested in any of the things I've been making!