Production RCC-SMALL1 / a brickless 4L case with LP dual slot GPU support and lots of space for SSDs

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
@Instran0

this is how the silver version looks like...

note that I have dropped the idea to support taller coolers because:
  • with the NOCTUA NH-L9, ID COOLING IS-30 and JONSBO HP400 you have three good performing coolers from premium to budget
  • with a re-design to support taller cooler, the fan would sit very near the top panel, causing turbulence (noise, less cooling performance)
  • the spare space which is currently under the motherboard is perfect for clean cable management
But just let me know if you have some points which would speak for taller CPU cooler support...

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Previously I recommended making the case fans exhaust. Not because of thermals but due to noise. As you might know, having an intake fan too near the panels causes turbulence and creates noise.

Well, luckily someone invented stand-offs and there is enough space in the case to make use of those!

Making the GPU case fan intake and using 8mm stand-offs to prevent turbulence gives some pretty good thermal results:

1080p Gaming with case fans as intake
CPU: 69C
GPU: 75C

Noise levels also benefit from this configuration as the GPU fans are now running at lower RPM.

-----------------------------

Another update for everyone who needs more than 3 SATA drives and does not need some dedicated GPU (e.g. if you want to build a NAS or home server):

I can provide a dedicated drive cage which allows you to put up to 6 SATA drives in this enclosure. The PCIe slot will remain free for a PCIe to SATA converter board.

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Noted: three silver performance edition cases for you

You can place your order when everything is ready. I don't accept payment so early in advance. You never know if something goes wrong in production... or if I had a design brainfart somewhere... XD

based on the timestamps of my posts, which were before production started, i would still like three cases with 49mm CPU cooler support.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
based on the timestamps of my posts, which were before production started, i would still like three cases with 49mm CPU cooler support.

I know what you said, but believe me that a 49mm cooler will perform much worse since it will sit too close to the panel. I don't think you'll be happy with that. How about to include some suitable coolers (IS-30) for you?

Sometimes things not work out as expected, therefore I don't do preorders. So if you don't like the case that's totally fine.

Last edited:

ColorZepppelin

Trash Compacter
ColorZeppelin Computers
Apr 8, 2016
It's quite an inventive design with the extruded aluminum side-panels. Did you buy them custom or am I wrong and are they Milled?
Would you be willing to say where you sourced them? PM me if you prefer not to say here.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
It's quite an inventive design with the extruded aluminum side-panels. Did you buy them custom or am I wrong and are they Milled?
Would you be willing to say where you sourced them? PM me if you prefer not to say here.

You are right. It's an custom extruded chassis. If you need something similar for your own project just drop me a message.

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
Keeping an eye on this... Could be an interesting alternative to the J Hack Pure MK2. I have no interest in using external SSDs but using the space under the motherboard for cable management sounds like a good idea.

That being said, nvme drives are cheap, go up to 4TB in size and some motherboards fit 2. I wish case manufacturers and motherboards would slowly start ditching SATA support...

I'm not really sold on the front design but I think I would cover it in black fabric (think hi-fi speaker)

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Keeping an eye on this... Could be an interesting alternative to the J Hack Pure MK2. I have no interest in using external SSDs but using the space under the motherboard for cable management sounds like a good idea.

That being said, nvme drives are cheap, go up to 4TB in size and some motherboards fit 2. I wish case manufacturers and motherboards would slowly start ditching SATA support...

I'm not really sold on the front design but I think I would cover it in black fabric (think hi-fi speaker)

Thanks for your feedback.

Sure, not many people require so many SSDs but it doesn't hurt to have the option. If you have some unused SATA drives around (like me) you can just put them in the case. Being generous with the space under the motherboard you'll also be able to put a thick heatsink on the second M2 SSD which is usually sitting there.

Using the aluminum chassis extrusion, the case offers some good opportunities for customization. If you don't like the top or front panel you could get another one made from acrylic or even wood... Maybe I'll consider to offer some different options if there is enough interest, else I'll share the related drawings when this goes on sale.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This is a really interesting little case. One question: how difficult would it be for you to lengthen the case to add support for full height ITX GPUs? Obviously the PSU would be on the anemic side for something like that, though there are definitely suitable options out there.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
This is a really interesting little case. One question: how difficult would it be for you to lengthen the case to add support for full height ITX GPUs? Obviously the PSU would be on the anemic side for something like that, though there are definitely suitable options out there.

You mean something similar like a smaller S4M? Unfortunately I can not make the case wider because the lower part is one piece solid extrusion. So I could only make it deeper but this makes no sense.

But it's a nice idea for some future design, thank you. 👍

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
You mean something similar like a smaller S4M? Unfortunately I can not make the case wider because the lower part is one piece solid extrusion. So I could only make it deeper but this makes no sense.

But it's a nice idea for some future design, thank you. 👍
No problem! It was more of a "this might be a neat idea" than a "I want to buy this today" thought, so no worries about it not being a very quick change, but it did seem like a logical extension (pun kind of intended?) of this design. A S4M-alike with a built-in PSU like this definitely sounds attractive to me at least.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
IMHO, thats how EVERY SFF CASE should be.
IMHO, no, because it takes away from CPU cooler height and even GPU height in classic cases. Also, having it like that will drive up SSD temps a bit. He did this because he knew there was sufficient CPU cooler height for it and that this is not a hot case, since it only supports a low profile GPU and a 41mm CPU cooler. (Lower end CPU and GPU)

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Guess this depends on personal priorities and what the case is supposed to support. For enthusiast cases where most people wouldn't use 2.5" drives it makes more sense to support taller coolers and having optional 2.5" brackets somewhere else. For my case I choose this layout because it allows for clean cable management and putting a lot of SSDs in while not compromising the air-flow plus keeping the size quite small. Personally I am currently using the case as HTPC / RAID home server and put all the unused 2,5" drives in which I had laying around.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
based on the latest feedback I got on Discord, I've started to work on some alternative top panels for the case...

BBQ Edition for lower TDP builds:

Hot Rod Edition for NH-L12: