Pocket eGPU | a 0.55L Thunderbolt RX6400 pocket eGPU

htalker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
===========This is my latest update 2023.3.1======================
Since the first Pocket eGPU was successfully assembled, I have sold hundreds of them in local communities in China. Now it has been discontinued, but in this post I have given the links of all necessary components. Here I will upload the 3D model of the enclosure. Welcome to make it yourself. Enjoy DIY.

http://htalker.synology.me:5080/Share/pocket-egpu-r4.stp

===========The Original Post=========================
This is a simple imitation of RCC-eGPU2 | a tiny portable 0.6L Thunderbolt GTX 1650 eGPU.
I spend lots of my working time in business trip, so I'm fascinated with portable devices.
REVOCCASES's work inspired me a lot, so I decided to make my own.

parts used for this build:
A 100W PD adapter / power bank can drive both eGPU and my 8-inch GPD WinMax 1195G7 laptop.

Last edited:

htalker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
My next step is to make a low profile single slot A2000 heat sink, with 15mm thick in total, to fit this eGPU enclosure.
Hope I can achieve this goal without a hitch.
;)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
that is just awesome! especially using the CalDigit TB control board to have an integrated hub / charging capability - genius!

My next step is to make a low profile single slot A2000 heat sink, with 15mm thick in total, to fit this eGPU enclosure.

if it helps, I have uploaded the drawings for my A2000 single slot mods here and here

Reactions: SFFMunkee

htalker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
T
Nice! Looking forward to your progress with this!

btw, how is the performance of the RX6400 over Thunderbolt?
Timespy scores
On PCIE4.0 PC, 3700.
On PCIE 3.0 PC, 3600.
Over TB(6540), 3450.
Just fine. Considering that my 1195G7 Xe core GPU has only 1780 points, the performance of RX6400 LP is sufficient for my current needs.
Moreover, this rdna2 12cu GPU supports RSR.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I launched a week-long crowdfunding in the local online community, and the results were good. 26 netizens booked Pocket eGPU, and 2 of them specifically asked for white.

Wow! This thing is awesome. Where did you launch the crowd funder? How much is it?

Reactions: htalker

htalker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
Wow! This thing is awesome. Where did you launch the crowd funder? How much is it?
The crowd funder is launched on Goofish, which is a local C2C trading website in China, just like eBay. You can only access it with phone app.
I may not be able to sell through this platform in other countries.

I hope to get some suggestions about how to trade with users in other countries and how to collect orders?, I have a PayPal account.

My local retail price is about $500. I am consulting about the additional costs incurred by DHL for international transportation.

If enough orders can be collected (> =50), I hope someone or an company can act as an intermediary.

Reactions: Revenant

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Absolutely love this!

I've used an eGPU for many years on my Lenovo Carbon X1, and the smallest one I could find at the time was the Sonnet Breakaway Puck RX570. That uses a very expensive MXM board which makes it difficult and expensive to upgrade. It also can't run off a power bank like this one.

The only thing I can't see is how the graphics card is held in place, aside from the PCIe connector.

I think if the nylon grommets were to be replaced with clips that not only acted as a spacer, but also clipped over the top of the PCB that would secure the card, even if they only gripped 1mm or so over the edge. They would need to be flexible enough to be pulled up to release the card to remove it. (Hope that makes sense)

I do hope you find a way to offer these worldwide, as I'm sure that just between this forum and Reddit you would find quite a few buyers.

I currently use a HyperJuice 100W PD power bank, and I think the Zendure Power Banks should work too.

What power bank have you been using?

htalker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
Absolutely love this!

I've used an eGPU for many years on my Lenovo Carbon X1, and the smallest one I could find at the time was the Sonnet Breakaway Puck RX570. That uses a very expensive MXM board which makes it difficult and expensive to upgrade. It also can't run off a power bank like this one.

The only thing I can't see is how the graphics card is held in place, aside from the PCIe connector.

I think if the nylon grommets were to be replaced with clips that not only acted as a spacer, but also clipped over the top of the PCB that would secure the card, even if they only gripped 1mm or so over the edge. They would need to be flexible enough to be pulled up to release the card to remove it. (Hope that makes sense)

I do hope you find a way to offer these worldwide, as I'm sure that just between this forum and Reddit you would find quite a few buyers.

I currently use a HyperJuice 100W PD power bank, and I think the Zendure Power Banks should work too.

I am honored that you like my design.

I am also using sonnet breakaway puck, only at home.
Once, I naively thought that with this eGPU dock, I could take it with me on the trip everywhere.
But the reality is, its carrying size is greater than 2L. In my opinion, it is not portable at all.

As you have observed, I have not designed any other fixing measures for the graphics card except the PCIe connector.

There are two reasons:
(1) If I use the nylon grommet to fix the graphics card, the graphics card will block the nylon grommet, so I can't easily loosen the nylon grommet. The graphics card is locked on the PCIe connector.
(2) Pocket eGPU is designed for low profile graphics cards. Almost all LP graphics cards are very light, and the tightening force of the PCIe connector is enough to fix the graphics card well.

As shown in the figure below, the A2000 can be installed upside down.

Another way to place the pocket egpu is to lie it down, and the weight of the graphics card is supported by two 3mm thick silicone pad.

I am glad to find so many users who like it in the first crowdfunding. This gave me a lot of courage and encouragement.
However, so far, Pocket eGPU is only a personal product and is not ready for mass production. It is so simple that anyone can make it easily, and the components can be easily purchased online.
Users like its super portability, not my poor design.

As for why I haven't released the 3D model of the shell, the reason is that due to my lack of design experience, I did not leave enough assembly space for users. All components must be installed in a specific order and angle, and the screws are particularly difficult to screw.
I don't want you to see my embarrassment.😓

Anyway, thanks for your sincere suggestions. I will continue to improve this gadget.
Maybe one day I will formally sell it on Amazon or Reddit.

htalker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
Absolutely love this!

The TGP of RX6400 is only 43W, and the power supply of the Thunderbolt port to the laptop is 60W.

So, yes, A100w PD power bank/charger can support both of the RX6400 graphics card and the laptop as long as the laptop is fully charged.

If the laptop is not fully charged, the thunderbolt port will fully charge the laptop at 60W. In this situation, the power supply will be insufficient. I suggest my users prepare at least a 150W DC power supply, for future promotion to a2000.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
As for why I haven't released the 3D model of the shell, the reason is that due to my lack of design experience, I did not leave enough assembly space for users. All components must be installed in a specific order and angle, and the screws are particularly difficult to screw.
I don't want you to see my embarrassment.😓

Hey, don't be embarrassed, you made a great product! We've all been through hours of puzzling and cut our fingers to get hardware into the tiniest possible enclosures, yet we're still here looking to shrink things even more 😁

Reactions: SFFMunkee