Pocket eGPU | a 0.55L Thunderbolt RX6400 pocket eGPU

htalker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
Hey, don't be embarrassed, you made a great product! We've all been through hours of puzzling and cut our fingers to get hardware into the tiniest possible enclosures, yet we're still here looking to shrink things even more 😁
That's why I like to stay here.
😁

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
@htalker Really impressive work, well done! How are you sourcing those Caldigit boards, btw? Are you buying docks and tearing them down, or are you able to get your hands on just the boards?

htalker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
@htalker Really impressive work, well done! How are you sourcing those Caldigit boards, btw? Are you buying docks and tearing them down, or are you able to get your hands on just the boards?
Thank you for your appreciation.
I bought Thunderbolt core boards from a local seller.
He specializes in selling second-hand Thunderbolt dock stations.

Reactions: timginter

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Thank you for your appreciation.
I bought Thunderbolt core boards from a local seller.
He specializes in selling second-hand Thunderbolt dock stations.
Ah, interesting. You don't have access to more, by any chance? I might be interested in buying just the board.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Ah, interesting. You don't have access to more, by any chance? I might be interested in buying just the board.
I was thinking this too, would be great if we had a decently priced source for these PCBs!
FWIW the CalDigit TS3 doesn't seem to be available anymore, replaced by TS3 Plus (~$480AUD) or TS4 ($??)

I'm also building an eGPU and ordered:
1) a 'cheap' TB3 M.2 SSD enclosure (M-key, NVMe) ~$110aud
2) an ADT-Link M.2 to PCIe x16 (x4 electrically) riser

And for extra points, I'll be adding TB3 to an AMD system (DeskMini X300) with:
3) a Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 Thunderbolt3 PCIe card (with jumper to force power-on, working and detected by Windows but haven't been able to test with any TB devices yet)
4) an ADT-Link M.2 to PCIe x4 riser

Plus as a test from my ITX machine, I've got a (bifurcated hopefully) PCIe riser to split the main PCIe x16 into 2 PCIe x8 slots to see if I can have my cake & eat it too :)

htalker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
I was thinking this too, would be great if we had a decently priced source for these PCBs!
FWIW the CalDigit TS3 doesn't seem to be available anymore, replaced by TS3 Plus (~$480AUD) or TS4 ($??)

I'm also building an eGPU and ordered:
1) a 'cheap' TB3 M.2 SSD enclosure (M-key, NVMe) ~$110aud
2) an ADT-Link M.2 to PCIe x16 (x4 electrically) riser

And for extra points, I'll be adding TB3 to an AMD system (DeskMini X300) with:
3) a Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 Thunderbolt3 PCIe card (with jumper to force power-on, working and detected by Windows but haven't been able to test with any TB devices yet)
4) an ADT-Link M.2 to PCIe x4 riser

Plus as a test from my ITX machine, I've got a (bifurcated hopefully) PCIe riser to split the main PCIe x16 into 2 PCIe x8 slots to see if I can have my cake & eat it too :)
Great.
Look forward to your results.

htalker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
As much as you want.
If you are interested, can help contact.
My tg:mad:handtalker
As much as you want.
If you are interested, can help contact.
My TG:
@handtalker

The text was incorrectly translated into emoticon... 😓

Reactions: BaK

feklee

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 11, 2022
Are they still available? I'm in HK, could pay by Alipay and have it delivered to a warehouse in SZ, from where I would get it forwarded.

I actually already ordered an ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 for use with an Nvidia A2000. Documentation of the adapter points to a list of best external graphics cards builds, and in a post I found out about the Mini eGPU Dock. This is a sexy solution, much cleaner than the cable mess I would have with the R43SG-TB3. I would use it connected to a ThinkPad X1 Tablet Gen 3, running Rhino3D and a bunch of software packages that benefit from CUDA.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Are they still available? I'm in HK, could pay by Alipay and have it delivered to a warehouse in SZ, from where I would get it forwarded.

I actually already ordered an ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 for use with an Nvidia A2000. Documentation of the adapter points to a list of best external graphics cards builds, and in a post I found out about the Mini eGPU Dock. This is a sexy solution, much cleaner than the cable mess I would have with the R43SG-TB3. I would use it connected to a ThinkPad X1 Tablet Gen 3, running Rhino3D and a bunch of software packages that benefit from CUDA.

I saw he's taking orders on Xianyu / 淘寶

Reactions: msystems

vavan_bonus

Case Bender
New User
Feb 1, 2023
parts used for this build:
  • Thunderbolt control board from CalDigit TS3 (6540)
Have you soldered another female connector to the docs male?
I have found that there is some CalDigit TS3 Lite version that is cheaper and uses same main board. At leas it looks the same. and also there is Kensington Dock that looks very similar but is dirtcheap. Maybe you've tried it?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Hi, I'm new to this kind of stuff, can you explain a bit what the no. 2 (power module) is for? Can I just use the external adapter 100w to supply without this module?

Afaik the Caldigit thunderbolt control board is most likely a 19 or 20v DC input, so you would already be using 19v brick (( Or USB-PD which is 20v )) for that. The graphics card and riser needs 12v, so to avoid using a separate brick, the purpose of the power module is to step down the 19v source to 12v for the GPU.

There is, however, a similar thunderbolt egpu module with integrated PCI-e riser which uses 12v brick, it's called the TH3P4 Lite. And using this with a 12v PSU or brick you wouldn't need a stepdown to add additional power to a GPU. I have to say the design of the pocket eGpu is nicer though in the way that it holds the card nicely, while the TH3P4 basically has to lie flat on the desk in a sloppy way.

Last edited:
Reactions: htalker