Production RCC-BIG1 | vertical small footprint 13L SFF case | supports 300mm 2.5 Slot GPUs and NH-L12S

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
First batch of DIY GPU Mesh / Window Panel Upgrade Sets are ready. The set includes both, a window and some mesh material. You can choose what you prefer.

Shop Link [click]

The DIY GPU Mesh / Window Panel Set includes:
  • black anodized aluminum GPU side cover
  • dust filter mesh
  • acrylic window
  • double sided tape

Assembly:

A) If you want to go for the window, just stick it on the panel using the included double sided tape (sure, you can do it more careful then me):

B) If you prefer to go for the dust filter mesh, use the included double sided tape to hold it in position. Then add a few drops of super glue (or whatever you have available) here and there:

Note: when assembling the case, insert the GPU side panel before the CPU side panel.

In order not to scratch the window:
  1. slide the GPU panel in the slots at the bottom of the case
  2. pull it over the flaps, left and right
  3. last, slide in the CPU panel

Last edited:
Reactions: absolutelyderek

pigeonJohn

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 26, 2020
I'm liking the option for adding a mesh filter instead of the acrylic window. By chance, is there potential for an option for an additional mesh filter for the front panel? It seems like this might be the best compromise for some dust prevention without sacrificing temps too much.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I'm liking the option for adding a mesh filter instead of the acrylic window. By chance, is there potential for an option for an additional mesh filter for the front panel? It seems like this might be the best compromise for some dust prevention without sacrificing temps too much.

Yes, I'm planning to include some additional mesh material with every case from now on (even if you do not purchase the window panel upgrade). You can attach it DIY as shown above.

Last edited:

Steezis

What's an ITX?
New User
Dec 22, 2020
Looking at this Palit 3060 atm, wondering about your photo of the gpu heatsinks on the BIG1's product page. Is the photo suggesting that heatpipes running the length of the card are more effective than those running perpendicular? This card seems to have heatpipes running along the length of the card 🤔

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Looking at this Palit 3060 atm, wondering about your photo of the gpu heatsinks on the BIG1's product page. Is the photo suggesting that heatpipes running the length of the card are more effective than those running perpendicular? This card seems to have heatpipes running along the length of the card 🤔

This card will work fine. The heatpipe orientation doesn't matter but the heatsink fin orientation does and you can gain a few degrees better thermals if you choose a card like the Palit because hot air will be exhausted mostly to the sides and not under the case.

Thermal test results are interesting. Me and the beta testers had much better results. Probably the fin orientation of the GPU cooler makes quite a difference, especially for the BIG1 where hot air could be trapped below the case if choosing the wrong graphics card.

My recommendation for better GPU temps:

Reactions: Steezis and tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
This card will work fine. The heatpipe orientation doesn't matter but the heatsink fin orientation does and you can gain a few degrees better thermals if you choose a card like the Palit because hot air will be exhausted mostly to the sides and not under the case.
For a card with heatpipes running along its length, fin orientation is in such a way that it dictates the air be exhausted along the card's length. This fact will help the cooling when a case is designed to remove the exhaust with vent holes along the card's length in the adjacent area.

Regardless of the above fact, heatpipe orientation also could potentially affect the card's cooling performance as well.
Basically, when the tip of a heatpipe (condensing region) is below the evaporating region, the return flow might have to fight against gravity, thus reducing efficiency. Not all heatpipes are designed the same and so some are more affected while some are less affected.
Silverstone has made a recommendation on this heatpipe orientation issue (CPU cooler and display card) some years ago.
Here:-

IIRC, some tests were done (in Overclock.net forum) (flipping the case up side down) and the 'general' conclusion was a few degrees difference in max temp...Hope my memory is right...so, maybe, less than 10% cooling efficincy is compromised? It is not a life-or-death situation.

You, being a mechanical engineer, must know this. So, I just type this for the benefit of Steezis.

Reactions: Steezis

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
For a card with heatpipes running along its length, fin orientation is in such a way that it dictates the air be exhausted along the card's length. This fact will help the cooling when a case is designed to remove the exhaust with vent holes along the card's length in the adjacent area.

Regardless of the above fact, heatpipe orientation also could potentially affect the card's cooling performance as well.
Basically, when the tip of a heatpipe (condensing region) is below the evaporating region, the return flow might have to fight against gravity, thus reducing efficiency. Not all heatpipes are designed the same and so some are more affected while some are less affected.
Silverstone has made a recommendation on this heatpipe orientation issue (CPU cooler and display card) some years ago.
Here:-

IIRC, some tests were done (in Overclock.net forum) (flipping the case up side down) and the 'general' conclusion was a few degrees difference in max temp...Hope my memory is right...so, maybe, less than 10% cooling efficincy is compromised? It is not a life-or-death situation.

You, being a mechanical engineer, must know this. So, I just type this for the benefit of Steezis.

You are right. Along other factors, orientation does influence heatpipe maximum carrying capacity (Qmax) but you won't actually notice this in your PC as modern CPU and GPU coolers mostly use sintered heatpipes to minimize this effect. The airflow concept will have a more noticeable effect here.

Noctua also did some tests on this topic and found that it does not really matter how the coolers (heatpipes) are oriented:

If you want to dive further into this topic, there are some interesting publications:

Reactions: Steezis and tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
You are right. Along other factors, orientation does influence heatpipe maximum carrying capacity (Qmax) but you won't actually notice this in your PC as modern CPU and GPU coolers mostly use sintered heatpipes to minimize this effect. The airflow concept will have a more noticeable effect here.

Noctua also did some tests on this topic and found that it does not really matter how the coolers (heatpipes) are oriented:
I bet Noctua just did their own tests in a way to show off their coolers.
''Hey, listen...our coolers do not use cheapo heatpipes susceptible to the gravity effect...our coolers use sintered heatpipes''😀

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I bet Noctua just did their own tests in a way to show off their coolers.
''Hey, listen...our coolers do not use cheapo heatpipes susceptible to the gravity effect...our coolers use sintered heatpipes''😀

😅 maybe. when I have some spare time I'll do a test with my ThermalRight Silver Arrow and publish the results here.

Reactions: Steezis

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Reactions: absolutelyderek