Project: OSIDIAS (officially v4). What's this? A worklog?!

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
If I can truly make the time, then I think I can. It's a little weird to give myself a 2 month deadline after working on various iterations of this project for 8 years. It's changed so much in that time!
Sometimes all it takes is a little kick in the tail :p but for sure, I know that feeling. I've sketched out plenty of project iterations over the years and plenty of it is a far cry from the original :)

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Tick tock... 3 weeks to go. It seems like time is going way too fast. I'm still working on design details! It's all about tabs and slots and screws. Basically everything that allows the case to be assembled and fastened together after printing, well, that's where my attention lies. These little things are a time sink. I'm trying to finish at least one major component so I can start printing this week.

I've got my Atomic Carbon Fiber PETG in house, and today I ordered the orange PLA needed for the accents. I think I have every component needed minus a few misc. bolts or screws. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I guess I won't find out what until I actually needed it.

I figure if the case isn't truly 'completed', I'll at least have enough done to make sure it's functional. Maybe at least enough to enter it in the mod competition at Netwar.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Are you guys sick of text? This is it minus a change on the front I/O and missing mesh.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
So hexy... I've spent 2 evenings trying to get the mesh the way that I want it. Not too big, not too small (in fact, what you see here are only 1.2cm holes. It also has to line up perfectly on the top and bottom bends, ugh. I'm still not done, but I think I've got the technique mastered and it should go faster now. Regarding the cage portion of this case, I've got the center holes to fill with mesh, add the holes for mounting the side panels, and lastly, slot the inside top and bottom of the cage to allow the motherboard tray to slide in and out. The goal is to start printing Saturday. This happens to be the largest part by far, and slicing it for printing could be interesting. It will need some supports, but I also want minimal finishing and touch up once done. This is a multiday print for sure.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Uh, so I've not started printing yet. Supports are tricky. I normally bounce between Slic3r Prusa and KISSlicer 1.6, and neither is giving me the support structure that I feel is best for the print. Slic3r is particularly crap. It would take me days just to try and remove what it wants to add. The newest version of KISS is infinitely better, but test prints indicate they are still a little hard to remove.

After multiple small part test prints, I broke down and bought Simplify3D. The supports are much better, and I think I'll use if for the print. However, print quality is better with KISS. To compensate I've moved the print temp up and added more cooling. The result is a piece with more texture and mostly hidden layers even at .32 height. I was originally wanting shorter layers, but even at the current settings, it's a 48 hour print and an entire spool of filament.

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
That's a very ambitious print. Should be doable if your supports work properly. Have you played with some test prints on the carbon filament to get a sense for how much x/y/z space you should allow between the supports and the print? I found the optimum distance varies by material and getting it wrong makes cleaning the print a nightmare if there is too much adhesion on the support. PETG required a lot more generous room than pla for me. I hated PETG until I got the support spacing right.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
That's a very ambitious print. Should be doable if your supports work properly. Have you played with some test prints on the carbon filament to get a sense for how much x/y/z space you should allow between the supports and the print? I found the optimum distance varies by material and getting it wrong makes cleaning the print a nightmare if there is too much adhesion on the support. PETG required a lot more generous room than pla for me. I hated PETG until I got the support spacing right.
Yeah I pretty much gave up using supports for petg :) good point about optimizing supports for the material!

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I've probably printed no less (seriously! than 20 test pieces to test various support configurations. I do think I have it figured out. It was no small feat, since you've both noted PETG can be tricky. It's just too sticky. That's what ultimately led me to high temp high fan. There's been no perceivable loss in strength, and I've been trying to break some of these pieces with pliers, and it's been a challenge.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
After all the slice setting testing over the last few days, I committed to hitting the print button. What I noticed once the 'real' thing started vs, my small test pieces, was that I underestimated how much of a difference part size made. Texture is completely different with more time for layers to cool between passes. It should have occured to me, but didn't. Mark that in the "No duh!" department

I ended up using .3 layer height and slightly denser supports. I also used S3D, because it was the only slicer that seemed to do what I wanted in this particular scenario. S3D stated a 49 hour print, however the Duet is saying it's more like 70. This morning it was at 10% around 7 hours in, so the Duet may be right. I wasn't expecting an additional day of printing time, so I'm a little nervous. It should be more than one roll of filament used, so I'll just pause and swap after 2 days... Man, what the hell have I gotten myself into?

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Phew, I was worried there for a second :) Noticed it was symmetrical though so I thought it was for a reason. The texture on the side looks nice!

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Haha, it's been a rough day so far! I want this thing to print successfully, and it's all I can think about. Yeah, the texture almost makes it look like it has a brushed finish.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Haha I totally understand. I've never printed anything that big before. Longest print I think was 12 hours... Really couldn't think of anything else.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Is it bridging that honeycomb pattern on the other side without any support? Thats pretty impressive

Also the layers look really good, not much imperfections sticking out at all

Reactions: Biowarejak