Project: OSIDIAS (officially v4). What's this? A worklog?!

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Is it bridging that honeycomb pattern on the other side without any support? Thats pretty impressive
Angles seem fairly reasonable :) I've noticed that bridging structures like that often depends on the scale and especially the filament though.

Reactions: AleksandarK

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Is it bridging that honeycomb pattern on the other side without any support? Thats pretty impressive

Also the layers look really good, not much imperfections sticking out at all

Correct. There's no support on the back side. To be honest, I'm not terribly sure why S3D decided to put supports on the side honeycomb... I didn't question the slicer, haha.

Yeah, I normally like using .1 or .2 layers, but it just wasn't practical here. A few of those imperfections here or there, I can actually pick off cleanly with my fingernail. It's tempting to want to do it now, but I've sworn not to touch it yet.

Last edited:

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
33 hour update! We're about halfway there. I'm biased of course, but I think it's looking pretty sexy. I was really hoping for more seamless visible layers, but as i noted before, the print time would have been outrageous. I think the current .3 layer height is making for a pretty cool brushed look and I'm now satisfied this was a good direction after all.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Thanks! I was speaking to 3D printing guru Michael Hackney about the layers, and he told me to embrace them and make them part of the aesthetic. As long as you had a capable printer there wasn't any reason not to do so. In my case, that means there are even certain parts I'll position on the build plate in a non-standard orientation just to get the 'grain' I want.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I'd have been tempted to print the hexes without support, since they are an efficient structural shape.

Do you have a fan cooling the print as it's going?

Reactions: Biowarejak

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Yeah, the hexes print really well. I do have a fan going at about 25% of max. It bumps up to 45% when bridging. A lot of guys will print CF PETG at minimal to no fan at all. After lots of testing, I found a sweet spot with higher extruder temps with more cooling. This was solely for the ease of removing support material. The extruder lays the filament down hot enough for good adhesion, except in areas where there is an intentional gap between the case and support. In instances like that, the extra cooling keeps the filament from drooping and adhering to the last pass under the gap.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Bad news... print failed at about 42 hours in. Son of a... It looks like there was some droop in the wire whip going to the effector assembly that only revealed itself with a taller print. It looks like the whip gat caught between the part and the moving head and knocked things out of alignment. I've fixed it now so it won't be an issue in the future. However, i've lost irreplaceble time. It's now printing again, but I'm not sure there's enough time to fully complete the case by the 6th of October. My goal at this point is just to get the bare minimum done in order to get the components inside. We'll see how that goes.

On the bright side, since I was unhappy and needed some kind of gratification, I bought an Asus PG348Q, lol.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Bad news... print failed at about 42 hours in. Son of a... It looks like there was some droop in the wire whip going to the effector assembly that only revealed itself with a taller print. It looks like the whip gat caught between the part and the moving head and knocked things out of alignment. I've fixed it now so it won't be an issue in the future. However, i've lost irreplaceble time. It's now printing again, but I'm not sure there's enough time to fully complete the case by the 6th of October. My goal at this point is just to get the bare minimum done in order to get the components inside. We'll see how that goes.

On the bright side, since I was unhappy and needed some kind of gratification, I bought an Asus PG348Q, lol.

I know what its like to cnc something and have it fail after that long of babysitting in a hot garage...I'm sorry.

Nice monitor...I was just about to buy one but decided to wait for the refresh so maybe I can buy one used cheap :)

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I know what its like to cnc something and have it fail after that long of babysitting in a hot garage...I'm sorry.

Nice monitor...I was just about to buy one but decided to wait for the refresh so maybe I can buy one used cheap :)

Yeah, it's brutal. Especially when you think everything is going fine, and there's an issue that technically may have been avoided if you'd had the foresight to be aware of it.

If you'd have believed the news earlier this year, the refreshed monitors should have been out by now. It's looking like it might not be until Q1/Q2 of 2018 at this point. Maybe I should have waited, but I was in need of an upgrade sooner than later. Even more so, the price on the next gen is likely to be high, and who knows when prices will drop. The new Alienware ultrawide has started shipping and early feedback seems mostly positive, but time will tell. I didn't want to spend $1500 to beta test since most new monitors seem to have some unforeseen issues right out of the gate.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Yeah, it's brutal. Especially when you think everything is going fine, and there's an issue that technically may have been avoided if you'd had the foresight to be aware of it.

If you'd have believed the news earlier this year, the refreshed monitors should have been out by now. It's looking like it might not be until Q1/Q2 of 2018 at this point. Maybe I should have waited, but I was in need of an upgrade sooner than later. Even more so, the price on the next gen is likely to be high, and who knows when prices will drop. The new Alienware ultrawide has started shipping and early feedback seems mostly positive, but time will tell. I didn't want to spend $1500 to beta test since most new monitors seem to have some unforeseen issues right out of the gate.

Hey, don't flip this around on me and talk me into something I don't need.

I'll at least wait till I crash my machine and break another Onsrud bit and need some therapy. :)

<3

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Hey, don't flip this around on me and talk me into something I don't need.

I'll at least wait till I crash my machine and break another Onsrud bit and need some therapy. :)

<3

Haha, you know you want to. It feels so good to hit the 'buy' button as long as you don't check your account balance afterward... I've been watching prices for about a year now, and they've just not dropped much. If I had an AMD GPU I'd have had more or cheaper options. Everything halfway affordable is Freesync capable. G-sync is pretty limited. With no easy way (due to GPU dimensions) for me to switch, I just went ahead and committed.

Aren't those the best bits ever? With my old CNC I'd break them way more frequently than I was comfortable with. They'd actually break if I looked at them funny. With the new CNC, I'm not sure I've broken one in the last year and a half. It's been a completely different experience. I can start a cut, walk away for a few hours, and be relatively confident it will finish as it should.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Oh man that sucks. Glad you were able to resolve the problem for future prints though. Did you try removing the support material on the print that failed? If so, how was it?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Wow that's frustrating as hell. So the failure wasnt from the execution of the print but some outside factor. At least you determined the cause, you can be thankful for that.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Did enough of the print survive that you could cleave it across a 'good' layer, cut the model at the same point, print the second half, then fuse the two together with PETG Weld Cement? Not as elegant as a single print, but would stay within the timeframe.