Project: OSIDIAS (officially v4). What's this? A worklog?!

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I really do think I will. I've been researching for some time now. I've weighed the pros and cons, I've looked over build options and build size. That Ultibot is reviewed well, and has some nice upgrades over similar DIY printers like the Rostock V3. It really would help move things along when it comes to making ideas reality. I find myself time limited more than anything, and although I don't really believe in shortcuts (I love the journey), I can't deny the benefits.

For those that haven't seen the Draken concept... It was designed about 7 years ago or so. Nate George (E22) actually cut a prototype out of MDF on my behalf. Although ironically, I have a much larger CNC now than I think he did at the time.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Well, I just hit the submit button on a 3D printer order. I've just opened up a lot of new options when it comes to case design and assembly. A little part of the old school modder in me feels conflicted. I remember when the debate about using CNC for modding was a hot topic. There were a lot of people that considered it 'cheating'. I kind of saw it both ways. I figured if you were going to take a fabrication shortcut, then your design and execution had better be killer. I'd like to think I achieved some of that with my previous MPD-01 project. Now with 3D printing, I catch myself wondering if it's 'cheating' again. There's no doubt that you can create some amazing things, but the old modder in me is still a bit resistant to it all. Bah, I'm sure I'll find a way to get over it, haha.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I remember when the debate about using CNC for modding was a hot topic. There were a lot of people that considered it 'cheating'.

Eh, to those people I say unless they start with a sold block of metal and end up with a finished case using nothing but a file, then it's just a slippery slope argument about how advanced the tools "allowed" are.

In 50 years when we can model the case, tap "print", and have a molecular assembler spit out a perfect replica in minutes, will spinning handcranks on a manual CNC be considered "handmade"?

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Typing out the G-code by hand in real-time would be pretty hard-core.

I've done that on a Haas 3-axis...not too hard when you know the feed, speed, and depth of cut for the material you're working with. A lot better when you have a buggy G-code compiler that sometimes omits actions from the CAM file...

Reactions: Biowarejak and EdZ

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Typing out the G-code by hand in real-time would be pretty hard-core.

Lol, meant to put mill. But with ever better algorithms to do the CAM side of things automatically, even writing G-code will seem old-school before too long.

Reactions: craigbru

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
While anxiously awaiting the 3D printer to arrive, I've begun to look at this project in a slightly different light. Of course the temptation is there just to 3D print the whole thing, but I think I'll go hybrid instead. Assuming I can get the quality I'm after, I'll be printing the core of the case, as well as the front and back panels. I do plan on trying a carbon fiber filament, so I guess it's still a carbon fiber case. Regarding the shell and exterior, I'm going to attempt 3D printed molds for traditional carbon fiber layup. I'll still have to cut out holes and trim to size, but the overall shape will be set. Accuracy will be improved compared to bent aluminum molds I've used in the past.

As an additional plus to using a printer, all the little bits and pieces required to hold the panels and fins in place, will be much easier to produce. I'd rather spend the time in creative engineering, than in creative assembly. I think in the end, I'll have a much more creative case due to fewer limits in the manufacturing process. Of course, only real world testing will prove whether or not my ideas are feasible.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Tricky thing I've found about printers is the cost of filament, a spool of carbon-fiber blended PLA or PETG(my preference) can go from around $50 to $100. It can also eat up your nozzles if they aren't hardened, increasing the diameter which you will then have to account for in your settings.

Reactions: craigbru and Phuncz

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Yeah, I've heard the same thing regarding filament cost. I've done a little math, and I still might come out ahead compared to the aluminum core I was planning. 10mm and 13mm thick aluminum isn't exactly cheap.

I have also heard that hardened nozzles are pretty much mandatory. Regarding the settings, well that's really an unknown at this point. The setup and testing will take a little time. Although printing allows me to approach this from a different direction, I do realize it's usually not a matter of just hitting a button then waiting for magic to happen. I remember when I got my first CNC about 7 years ago. I had quite a few issues to work through and sort out, I expect this to be more of the same. Once I do however, I expect awesomeness to ensue, haha. I know there are some great resources out there, and even on this board as well. I fully expect to reach out with any questions I might have.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Haha I'm glad you seem to understand better what you're getting into, especially compared to myself when I started. Once you get things dialed in it opens up a whole new world of possibilities

Reactions: craigbru

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Yeah, it kind of ties back into the 'cheating' debate I mentioned a few posts back. Sure, a machine can make quick work of a project, but there's an inordinate amount of planning that has to take place in advance. Not to mention the skill it takes to set up and correctly use that equipment in the first place. I think unless you're exceptionally adept, you're just trading time in the end, for time at the beginning. The positive is that you can do things that would be much harder to replicate by hand.

Reactions: Biowarejak

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Don't worry about 'cheating' just build what you want for you, not anyone else.

Is it cheating buying a car vs building a kit car? is building a kit car over machining and making it all yourself cheating?

Don't worry about perceptions other than your own.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Yeah, don't sweat it. Making is making, no matter how you approach it.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Yeah, i realize I'm overthinking it. In the end it's true that it doesn't matter as long as I'm making myself happy. At this rate, if I get anything with this project name finished, that would be an achievement in itself. It's only been an 8 year project in some form or another... Haha.

Reactions: Biowarejak

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Seems we're all having to wait for 3D printer related stuff - my fascia still hasn't arrived and I know @j0rd is waiting on a print from an aussie shop!

Might have to send the prints your way next time :p

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Seems we're all having to wait for 3D printer related stuff - my fascia still hasn't arrived and I know @j0rd is waiting on a print from an aussie shop!

Might have to send the prints your way next time :p

Yeah, I'd be happy to help out once it's up and running. I've heard delta's can be a little tricky for first time printeres, but things like the automatic bed leveling should help.

Last night was day 2 on the assembly, and it's pretty cool to see it all come together. I've got to get the extruder together, but most of what's left involves the wiring. Lot's of crimping and soldering involved. Very DIY here, and since this is a relatively new model, documentation is sparse. It's got a great community though, and help is always available.