Project: OSIDIAS (officially v4). What's this? A worklog?!

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Sometimes, though, having a forgotten (but serviceable) part opens up new and exciting possibilities...or can suddenly make a tricky hack (thankfully) a lot less challenging.

Before I really got into CAD design, I would buy the parts first and then force myself to find a way to make them fit. Maybe crazy from a build perspective, but damn if it wasn't fun.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Yay, another non-update update! After a little more experimenting, I've decided to move ahead fully with using the little IPS 7" screen on the front of the case. I tried as John suggested, using a few different materials behind the transparent display, and it just wasn't looking as good as I'd hoped. I'll file the idea away again until I can implement in a manner that does it justice. The upside of all this, is that now I can move ahead with the final CAD work. Also, it may not be reflected accurately in the pics I took, but the IPS screen does look great in person. Deep blacks, no backlight bleed, and great resolution...

Finding a place for the display controller is still a challenge, but I think I've found a solution. As a side effect of this, I've extended the depth of the case by 1.5mm. I can live with that however, as I can now fit a 210mm long video card in place. This opens up a few more potential GPU options, which isn't a bad thing by any means. The overall depth sits at around 230mm, so it's still pretty compact overall. As compact as MPD was, it's still hard to wrap my head around how much smaller this case truly is.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
So, I've been doing some thinking. Up until now, this project hasn't had a name. Well, I've decided to go ahead and use the OSIDIAS tag. I know this would be technically the 4th major design revision, but I think the basic premise still remains. It's a mostly carbon fiber build, only smaller than first envisioned. OSIDIAS v1 was very ambitious, and despite my better judgement, things are slightly snowballing here. The addition of the LCD screen opened up another option. I happen to have an unused Odroid C1 laying about... I think I'll have room to squeeze it into the case without making it any larger. If the idea fits the reality, then that's exactly what I'll do. I'm currently downloading a new Android image for it, and I'll see how the testing goes.

The Odroid in question.

The below pics are just a quick reference to get some idea of the new size compared to MPD-01.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Epic. This is how we like things. The problem now is, I feel like I need to build something insane to challenge you this year.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Epic. This is how we like things. The problem now is, I feel like I need to build something insane to challenge you this year.

Ha, go for it! I hope I didn't curse it by bringing back the OSIDIAS name...

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I spent a good chunk of Sunday afternoon playing with the Odroid. I'm limited to Android 5.1.1 due to the 2 year old hardware at this point. I managed to get everything up and running and the Google Play store installed without issue. That said, I was having an issue with the screen sharing app required to make the Odroid actually usefull. I'm using the paid version of DeskDock Pro. It allows keyboard and mouse control of Android over USB. This is a highly critical aspect of my desired configuration. If I can't get it working, I'd rather ditch the Android option completely. I'm not sure if it's an ADB driver issue, and Android version issue, or something else entirely; I've used the app successfully on 2 other devices, so it might just be Odroid specific. I'll continue to troubleshoot.

There are other apps the work like DeskDock in functionality, but none that I know of that use USB. Synergy and Across Center for example, require bluetooth or the devices to be on the same network. Not really an issue at home, but things tend to get a little sketchy once you head to a LAN. I had similar issues with MPD-01 and it's tablet, but at least there I had the advantage of touchscreen control. I'm not really interested in adding a touch panel here. It would add too much bulk to the panel mount in general, and detract from the visual I'm working for. If I can't get this working, I'll probably just use the LCD as a secondary monitor and use Rainmeter.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Your design is freakkin great and I'm sure it's stronger than a dump truck's rear axle, but we all know that woman weighs next to nothing ;)

Fantastic work so far...originality is what really gets me going and this project has it in buckets!

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Thanks Josh! Yeah, that's my daughter from quite a few years ago already. I'd actually thought about standing on it myself, but I wasn't sure I wanted to go that far. It may well have held, but the amount of carbon fiber used would have made for an expensive test if it didn't.

I know I've said it multiple times in the past, but I can't reiterate enough how much I like working with carbon fiber. It cuts and files so well, but you have to be careful. The dust is pretty bad for your lungs. It's the single reason I'm looking at making the interior aluminum as opposed to full carbon fiber. It would involve way too much milling. Not to mention that the center support struction inside the case is made up of a 10 and 13mm thick sandwich.

In other news, I've been curiously contemplating using one of G-Unique's new power supplies. If I do, it means the interior layout will change slightly again. I'm not sure which direction I'll go yet, and it's not like I really need the space savings. It would certainly simplify the wiring however.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I was totally trying to be complimentary. :)

What kind of CF are you working with? I am experimenting with it now myself because I have scrap plates from the factory where they make some military landing craft...and this stuff is harder than hardened ceramic and my friend's million dollar waterjet needs predrilled holes to even begin cutting it. I have alot to learn but easier to cut stuff is necessary for me.

Peace, good luck, and thanks!

Reactions: Phuncz

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I like working with carbon fiber. It cuts and files so well, but you have to be careful. The dust is pretty bad for your lungs. It's the single reason I'm looking at making the interior aluminum as opposed to full carbon fiber. It would involve way too much milling. Not to mention that the center support struction inside the case is made up of a 10 and 13mm thick sandwich.

A few technical Q's:

What do you use to cut? And how do you prevent fiber pull-out?

What material are you using for the center of the sandwich? Are you blind bonding it together or are you co-curing it?

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I was totally trying to be complimentary. :)

What kind of CF are you working with? I am experimenting with it now myself because I have scrap plates from the factory where they make some military landing craft...and this stuff is harder than hardened ceramic and my friend's million dollar waterjet needs predrilled holes to even begin cutting it. I have alot to learn but easier to cut stuff is necessary for me.

Peace, good luck, and thanks!

I'm using a pretty straightforward 2x2 twill. I believe it's a 3k 6oz, but it's been a few years since I bought it. I don't think the CF itself plays a huge role. It may be a little more about the resin used. I mean, the fabric itself may be a thicker weave, but in the end it's still a fabric at heart.

A few technical Q's:

What do you use to cut? And how do you prevent fiber pull-out?

What material are you using for the center of the sandwich? Are you blind bonding it together or are you co-curing it?

I've just used a cutoff wheel on a Dremel. It cuts like butter, although the wheels don't last terribly long. They do make special end mills for CNC if you choose to go that route, but I've not tried it yet. Fiber pullout is never an issue unless you're too light or (dry) with the resin.

For the work I've done in the past, it's been CF all the way through with no filler. you can get about 1.5mm in thickness with around 4 or 5 laters of 6oz. If I wanted a thicker panel, I'd definitely look at using something other than a twill CF at the very least. Maybe something more like a chopped strand as it's much cheaper and you don't need the cosmetics.

Now, in reference to pull out, Kevlar or Kevlar blends have a habit of doing this. It's very hard to get a clean edge without fuzzyness. In my experince, they're also not as structurally rigid.

Last edited:

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I'll add one more thing here. To get some idea of this project's origin, you've got go back a few years. To the summer of 2010 as a matter of fact. I'd finished Project: Rogue, and was wanting something even bigger (scope-wise), and OSIDIAS was the answer. It's unfortunate that so much time has passed. I may bump the B-T log again, but it sure as heck won't be until I've got real updates to show, haha. They tend to get a little worked up if there aren't any.

Bit-tech log here...

Regarding Rogue, I'd have linked that log as well, but the pictures are no longer available. Maybe when I have time I'll post up my mod progression.