Project: OSIDIAS (officially v4). What's this? A worklog?!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Bit-Tech tends to get worked up if a build isn't OMG ATX RGB WATER SLEEVED

:p

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
They do tend to have that bias. In my case, it's more like they just wanted to see the project finish. One of the worklog tags is "rick-roll"...

Reactions: confusis

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I've always had a pain with Kevlar as well...the feeling is mutual. Thanks for the info!

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Nice job Craig! :)

Thanks man! I've not made much progress this past week, either physically or digitally. I've been working on my Grand Cherokee a little bit. I'm currently reconfiguring my in dash Android tablet install, and I had to replace my starter. I should have the tablet reinstalled this weekend.

Regarding this project specifically, the name OSIDIAS never really had a meaning behind it. I just thought it sounded cool, and I wanted something completely original. I've been thinking however...

Optimal Size In Digital Information Access Systems? Hmm.

Reactions: ricochet

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Thanks man! I've not made much progress this past week, either physically or digitally. I've been working on my Grand Cherokee a little bit. I'm currently reconfiguring my in dash Android tablet install, and I had to replace my starter. I should have the tablet reinstalled this weekend.

Regarding this project specifically, the name OSIDIAS never really had a meaning behind it. I just thought it sounded cool, and I wanted something completely original. I've been thinking however...

Optimal Size In Digital Information Access Systems? Hmm.

Yeah I know the feeling, have been busy with both car problems and kitchen renovation myself, hopefully get some time over for mods soon. :)

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Well guys, it's time for a little input. As you may or may not have noticed, I'm a big fan of orange accents. I think the black/orange combo makes a pretty bold statement, and fits in with my original OSIDIAS vision started so many years ago. However, I've now got a chance to head in a slightly different direction if warranted. I should have most of the 2x2 twill carbon fiber that I need, currently on hand. I'm not going to use the orange kevlar/carbon fiber blend I currently have due to workability issues. It's just too hard to get clean cuts and I'd end up with something that wouldn't make me happy.

So, that leads me to the options below. There are some pretty cool new fabrics out there that might make for killer impact. I'm not stuck on orange, and red might make a great backup alternative.

Option 1 is actually not a CF blend. It's an aluminized fiberglass. Pros would include the fact that it's a solid color and would make for a very bold accent. Cons would be that I couldn't say the case is 100% CF, and it might lack some of CF's depth in appearance.

Option 2 has the same pros and cons as above, it's simply the red version.

Option 3 is pretty similar to what I used with the kevlar/CF blend, except it's a CF/fiberglass blend. Pros would be easy workability. Cons would include it not being 100% CF, and the fact that I'm no longer sure I like the 'stripe' effect of the blend itself.

Option 4 is the red version of the above.

Now here is where it gets a little more intersting. Both of the below are much more recent CF blends. Both are carbon fiber but with added stranding for color and depth. The effect is subtle but undeniably cool. Pros would include a pretty cool look and easy workability. Cons would be that since the case is so small, the subtle effect might get lost compared to the rest of the CF, and no orange option. I should also mention that it's been pretty difficult to find real world pictures of either. The pics I could find look pretty cool, aren't really representative of what they might look like on the case.

Option 5 is called Reflections

Option 6 is called Mirage. It is supposed to make for an anodized appearance.

So, any thoughts?

Reactions: Phuncz

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
If you're only making small parts, and if you're using a wet layup rather than pre-preg, then it might be worth considering adding your own orange highlights to a regular black weave by hand. Tedious, but gives the opportunity for picking just the right shade, and for custom patterns/designs.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
The 'fins' on the side of the case are indeed pretty small. The largest piece would be on each side of the case where the OSIDIAS logo resides. I will be using wet layup with my own aluminum molds. If it were the fins, I'd say adding higlights might be a valid option. I don't think the larger piece can be done in a way that would satisfy me.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Option 1 is actually not a CF blend. It's an aluminized fiberglass. Pros would include the fact that it's a solid color and would make for a very bold accent. Cons would be that I couldn't say the case is 100% CF, and it might lack some of CF's depth in appearance.

I love that colour. Though to be fair, I have a weakness for orange, so I'm biased :D

Pff, I don't think it's important whether the case is 100% CF or 90% CF. It's still a carbon fiber case.

Reactions: cmyk78

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I love that colour. Though to be fair, I have a weakness for orange, so I'm biased :D

Pff, I don't think it's important whether the case is 100% CF or 90% CF. It's still a carbon fiber case.

Yeah, orange is my favorite color as well, so I certainly understand that bias.

I'm probably overthinking it to be honest, but since I need to buy more fabric anyway I figured now was the time to get feedback.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Is there a triaxial dry fabric available?

Although, I'm not sure how well that will stay together in shape without the tackiness of the impregnated resin.

Option 5 is called Reflections

This reminds me of dry fabrics that are composed of multiple layers that have a kevlar/poly thread woven through all of the layers to keep them all together.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Triaxial dry is available, but it doesn't quite look like your pic. I'm not sure how much harder it would be to keep uniform than regular CF. Tweaking the weave is always a concern...

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016

I like this color as well, feel a lot of the options would just fade away at a distance where this will always pop

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I like this color as well, feel a lot of the options would just fade away at a distance where this will always pop

At this point I do think it's what I'll get. You're right about the pop. It would have some nice contrast compared to the black carbon fiber. Although it wasn't a huge concern, it also happens to be the cheapest option. That would be helpful since the aluminum plates needed for the core of this case are going to cost a little more than I'd hoped. I think I'm looking at close to $250 worth of aluminum by the time I'm done. That doesn't include the aluminum I already have on hand for the molds/templates. It's a good thing my wife isn't aware of this projects budget, lol.

Last edited:

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
One of the core concepts I had for this case, was to achieve excellent cooling with minimal complexity. I've been using a Cryorig C7 for the past 2 months or so, and it really has done a decent job. In an attempt to keep things cool, but cover more motherboard area including the RAM, I pulled the C7 fan off and moved to a Noctua NF-A15 PWM 140mm. The fan will be supported by a custom mount, but it's just been sitting on top of the heatsink 'raw' until it's completed. Although the NF-15 is a very quiet fan, it's performance in the current configuration has been disappointing. Temps went from about 37 C idle and ~56 C load, to ~45 C idle and ~64 C load. That's really not what I wanted, although loaded fan noise was less than the original C7 fan. The Noctua simply wasn't moving enough air...

It was time for a different solution. I've been generally happy with Noctua fans in the past, so I hit up their site to see what else they had to offer. Since I love overkill, I chose an NF-14 iPPC 3000 PWM as it's replacement. This is from Noctua's industrial line, and can spin up to 3000 RPM. Well, it arrived this week, and holy hell... That thing can move some air! When it's at full speed I fear it may levitate off my motherboard. Quiet at that speed, it's not. No motor noise however, it's just the sound of moving air. That sounds like a problem, but here's the flip side. I can maintain idle temps of around 33 C @ 400 RPM. Load temps of ~52 C @ less than 1000 RPM. Both of those speeds are virtually silent. I've got headroom to spare if I need it.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
So, uh... I'm strongly considering buying one of these...

https://www.ultibots.com/d300vs-3d-printer-diy-kit/

How it relates to this project is still unknown. Maybe I'll make some parts 3D printed, maybe just for prototyping, maybe I'll use it to make some molds instead of aluminum, maybe I'll print the whole damn case...

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
The Draken would be a great use for the printer. It would need a few revisions however. It was designed when SFX PSU's weren't really a thing. Not to mention it had room for 4 3.5" drives.

It's always easy to design. The hard part is always figuring out the fabrication. I could design around so many previous limitations.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I say hit buy on the 3d printer, the possibilities are endless. just look at what K888D is achieving with his case :)

Reactions: Phuncz