Project: OSIDIAS (officially v4). What's this? A worklog?!

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I’ve got a small, but not terribly exciting update here. The majority of my hardware arrived late last week. As of this weekend, I’ve got everything up and running. I really only need a few more components to be considered hardware complete. I’m still using a 4TB WD Black hard drive that is for game installs alone. Being the game hoarder that I am, it’s going to be a little tough to move to a 2.5” drive of any kind. I do have an additional SSD that holds any online shooter install, where load times matter (mostly Battlefield games and Titanfall 2 at this point). So, I can probably get by with a 2TB laptop hard drive, as SSD’s of that capacity are a little more than I’m willing to pay. So, my storage setup is basically the following… 500GB M.2 for OS and programs, 500GB SSD for shooters, and an additional 2.5” drive for games overflow.

Since I’m taking a hit it in overall storage compared to MPD, I’m finally getting around to building an additional server for data and backups. I’ll be running a barebones Win10 install on it to keep things simple. I will also use it for uploading and syncing with cloud storage services. Lastly it will also act as a print server. I’ve got a Dymo label printer I use for Jeep-Core.com that isn’t network capable. However, through the shipping solution I use, as long as it’s connected to a PC that’s online, I can print from anywhere.

At this point, I still need to acquire an ITX GPU, a flexible riser, and a 2.5” drive mentioned above. I’m aiming to get the GPU sooner than later, as I’m currently running a 290X and its not exactly known for low power draw when gaming.

So, like I said, not terribly exciting. I know you guys would rather see pics of actual progress. I would too, but I have to start somewhere!

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
A little more hardware arrived this last week. I bought the 250mm 3M flexible riser, and a 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD. Yeah, I know the SSHD is definitely slower than my previous 3.5" drive, but my options were slim. I'm not sure yet if the SSD caching will be of any real benefit yet. I had to stay under 10mm in height, so that limited any other higher capacity 2.5" drives. All I really need now are some new fans and the new GPU, which I'll wait out for a little while longer.

Anyone that has seen any of my past mods, either in reality or concept, knows that I have a thing for screens or displays on the front of my cases. This goes all the way back to my first real mod 'Alpha Blue', which incorporated an Alphacool display and aluminum front face. I carried it on in some form or another with everything since then. L.O.S.I.A.S., Rogue, OSIDIAS, and MPD-01 are all examples of that. This new project is likely to get one as well. I've not yet decided if it will use a secondary display option from within windows itself, or if it will be in the form of an Android device like MPD. I'm currently looking at ways to incorporate either into the design.

So, now that I've mentioned secondary displays, I can't help but mention my newly refurbished home server. It was hosting the Losias minecraft server and IRC for the longest time. However, after some hardware issues that couldn't fully be resolved, I went ahead and bought new hardware for it. Since I had the LCD screen sitting around from the Rogue mod, I couldn't help but re-home it. It happens to be the perfect fit for my old Fractal design Array R2.

As far as the rest of the mod hardware goes, you can see the classy setup I'm currently using. It will stay like this until the new mod is done...

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm glad I'm not the only one to run a system as a pile of parts and a tangle of wires :p

Though you probably shouldn't have everything sitting on top an anti-static bag. It only protects what's inside.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I'm glad I'm not the only one to run a system as a pile of parts and a tangle of wires :p

Though you probably shouldn't have everything sitting on top an anti-static bag. It only protects what's inside.

Well the issue is that anti static bags work because they are conductive so if you put electronics on them you risk short circuits

Uh... Oh crap, of course. Why didn't that occur to me! I've fixed it now. Thanks guys.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I'm surprised that there aren't more "PSAs" about not doing that. I'll file that protip away for future reference.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Well the good news is most components are surface mount these days so there's not many potential points of contact.

My first computers were Pentium and 486 machines and everything was through-hole mounted with the sharp solder points sticking off the underside, so those were easy to short out.
They were also easy to cut yourself on.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I'm still trying to wrap up the interior design details, but I'm almost there. I would expect to show my CAD drawings of that sometime within the next week.

I also mentioned that I was undecided on whether or not to go with an Android based display of some kind, or an LCD set up as a simple extended monitor. Well, this week I decided to complicate things just a bit more. Although as small a case as possible is not the absolute goal, I am trying to minimize the space needed by any given component. I've seen the size slowly creep up by a few mm's here or there, but I felt I had good reason to justify the increase. Moving from a low profile fan on the CPU cooler, up to a 25x140mm fan, seemed to make sense. I mention that only because I'm looking at integrating one of the ideas I had for OSIDIAS. It was tested, but never fully realized since the case wasn't finished. Yes, I'm looking at the possibility of bringing the transparent display back. The key is to integrate it cleanly without wasting too much space. Finding room for the control board is the biggest factor here.

Edit: Damn, I just realized that it's been 7 years since I took the pics below...

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Well, I've been doing some playing around this week. Sad news for the moment... I'm not sure the transparent screen is currently an option in this mods current configuration. I just can't get the backlighting right. Edge lighting the screen just doesn't make for an easily readable screen. Back lighting looks much better, but doesn't really fit with the mod. It wasn't an issue when testing for OSIDIAS, because it was in a 'window' configuration and there was plenty of light showing through.

All this means is that I'll likely be moving back to a more traditional screen. Still cool, but not quite the same impact. Finding room for the display board is still going to be a challenge. Without the transparent screen, it does open up another option however. I currently have an unused Odroid...

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Would an ever so slightly frosted panel behind the screen assist in the lighting setup? You'd lose some visual acuity into the chassis, however there may be enough left for the effect to be ..well.. effective

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Would an ever so slightly frosted panel behind the screen assist in the lighting setup? You'd lose some visual acuity into the chassis, however there may be enough left for the effect to be ..well.. effective

Possibly. I've not given up yet, and I'll certainly do a little more testing. That said, it doesn't take much to make the screen not transparent at all. Even a little frosted panel might make it opaque enough that it's not really worth the trouble.

Reactions: confusis

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I really need to come to terms with my parts addiction... While digging through things I realized that I had another 7" LCD I've never used. It's a 1280x800 IPS. I forgot I even had it. Maybe I'll have use this little guy. So much resolution!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That happens to me too, though usually it's only after I've already bought the part again :p

Reactions: craigbru

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Sometimes, though, having a forgotten (but serviceable) part opens up new and exciting possibilities...or can suddenly make a tricky hack (thankfully) a lot less challenging.

Reactions: craigbru