Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
@LukeD I'm curious if Lian-Li will be coming out with a flexible SLI connector you could use.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/lian-li-launches-the-pc-o12-wx-mid-tower-case.html

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
It is oversized but what's more is that i heard retail price will be $399 USD ?
Holy smokes thats a lot ! (and that's no PSU and only 1 riser cable).
I hope i can bring mine at a lower cost or ill just end up eating my own words i guess hahaha :)

But yes, hoping Lian Li will do custom length SLI cables :D :D

Reactions: Biowarejak

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Work is finally continuing on my build in the case :D :D :D :D

I've measured the new rotary terminals and they will definitely help with the build:

I've also had to re-cable another power supply. Lets just say I had to give the other one up for "testing purposes" :)
So here's a high level overview of what's involved with that:

1) Cut off cables, leaving enough to grab with pliers (i cut them too short here)

2) This is what the bottom side originally looks like:

3) Mask off the remaining area that you're not working on, as there'll be a ton of little solder particles when you're done.

4) Mark the solder points which you're going to file down with a dremel.

5) Don't go too close to the PCB or you'll damage it, but dremel off the excess solder with care, especially where the ground points are. Those will be the hardest to desolder hence why we need to dremel off some solder. (Also notice all the little particles. You don't want to be cleaning those up afterwards so better cover up in the first place :)

6) Solder in the new cables. Plan ahead, group your 12v, 3.3v, 5v, and GND cables in small batches and solder in from the back of the PSU towards the front.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
It is oversized but what's more is that i heard retail price will be $399 USD ?
Holy smokes thats a lot ! (and that's no PSU and only 1 riser cable).
I hope i can bring mine at a lower cost or ill just end up eating my own words i guess hahaha :)

But yes, hoping Lian Li will do custom length SLI cables :D :D

Holy shit, you'll have zero trouble competing with that. On the other hand, it's quite good marketing for you. Now people are already aware of this idea, and you can release your case in a few months and it will be everything this case is, except better in every way.

Reactions: Biowarejak

BlackRogue

Trash Compacter
Oct 22, 2016
That Lian Li case is also designed for a full ATX or even E-ATX board IIRC so it was bound to be bigger from the start. But I do agree that it's far too big and that your case will have a far better shot given the Lian Li's price tag and extra volume

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
yeahm,
That Lian Li case is also designed for a full ATX or even E-ATX board IIRC so it was bound to be bigger from the start. But I do agree that it's far too big and that your case will have a far better shot given the Lian Li's price tag and extra volume
It is apples and oranges....heck apples and water melons. They have dual vertical same plane GPU slots , but that is the only similarity if you ask me.
The Lian Li case is for people who want this specific look while this project started from the idea of 2 cards in an sff case.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Hi Guys,
Welcome to the forum and thank you for reaching out and your kind words.

A 240mm loop will easily cool a 140watt cpu + 2 x 1080
i think it should also be able to cool a 95 watt cpu + 2 x 1080ti's. (i will be testing this when I get back to Australia)

Do you think it would cool such a setup silently or with fans running at full tilt ?

You could also use 6 x 10mm tubing to reduce the hoses and fittings size further down ?

Last edited:
Reactions: LukeD

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I was testing the 6800k with 2 x 1080 with fans running at 70%. It had no problems cooling it.
I would suspect 7700k with 2 x 1080ti's should be ok as well. Maybe no OC on the CPU.

The tubing unfortunately I can't test, but going down to 6/10 from 10/13 might reduce water flow too much

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Would you mind remining which rad and fans you used for testing ?
Push/pull configuration ?

I'm planning to cool a i7 6700K and two GTX 1070.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I used the Fractal Kelvin S24
Which is an Alphacool radiator 240mm.
Fans were Fractal 120mm 1250rpm if i remember correctly.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Also quick update on SLI cables.
I found these to work very well.

They are fujitsu branded SLI cables. Slightly longer than the longest ASUS cables available on the market. Problem is their price right now so I hope Lian Li come up with something of their own or start mass producing these. I was lucky and found them on Amazon.de for 15 euro each. Now the price is back to astronomical amounts. But they fit and hide perfectly !!!!