Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Yup, I am aware of that. Just found Intel answer to be very stupid.
Intel's actual answer said:
We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called ‘de-lidding’). These actions will void the processor warranty.”
It's the same blanket "we do not recommend you void the warranty" they have given for years. They have also made chipsets that allow overclocking and CPU SKUs with unlocked multipliers for decades, you just don't get warranty support if you kill it by overvolting or pushing it harder than your cooling can handle.
The situation is identical with AMD. Ryzen Master even shows you a big warning in red text of " DAMAGES CAUSED BY USE OF YOUR AMD PROCESSOR OUTSIDE OF OFFICIAL AMD SPECIFICATIONS OR OUTSIDE OF FACTORY SETTINGS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER ANY AMD PRODUCT WARRANTY" before you can use the software.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Do they have a reliable way of checking if you fried your processor overclocking or if it was just product failure? I presume the answer is yes, but I just would be curious to know how they would know.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, I was really surprised when I was loading just a GTX 1070 and 120W TDP CPU and the fan went berserk after a few minutes. Then it took several minutes for it to slow back down after stopping the load.

Maintaining performance and efficiency was definitely the priority on that unit.

Reactions: LukeD

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Do they have a reliable way of checking if you fried your processor overclocking or if it was just product failure? I presume the answer is yes, but I just would be curious to know how they would know.
In theory: delidding is easily detected, failures induced due to overvolting could potentially be detected by examining the die.

In practice: I have yet to hear of anyone who has had a warranty claim rejected after sending off a chip due to them overclocking it. There are even cases where people have outright stated they delidded and overclocked a K/X chip and still received a replacement. If you are repeatedly RMAing processors then it would probably not be looked on so leniently.
I have heard of warranty claims rejected due to damage to the top of the IHS (e.g. lapping, using 'liquid metal' TIM) that partially or totally obscured the product codes, so that seems to be the main concern.

tl;dr: Unless there is visible external evidence on the outside of the package, the warranty claim will likely go through.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
In theory: delidding is easily detected, failures induced due to overvolting could potentially be detected by examining the die.

In practice: I have yet to hear of anyone who has had a warranty claim rejected after sending off a chip due to them overclocking it. There are even cases where people have outright stated they delidded and overclocked a K/X chip and still received a replacement. If you are repeatedly RMAing processors then it would probably not be looked on so leniently.
I have heard of warranty claims rejected due to damage to the top of the IHS (e.g. lapping, using 'liquid metal' TIM) that partially or totally obscured the product codes, so that seems to be the main concern.

tl;dr: Unless there is visible external evidence on the outside of the package, the warranty claim will likely go through.
I know a guy on OC.net that sent wet( from condensation) 5960X to RMA and he got replacement unit. So i dont think that delided CPU would be a problem for RMAing.

Reactions: Biowarejak

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Nice video on Floatplane ; ) Grats on the limelight, you definitely deserve it.

Also out of curiosity what cable did you use for the HDMI passthrough?

Thank you :) the light is yet to turn on ... but hopefully it will allow the project to progress and make actual production.

I used this HDMI passthrough (its keystone compatible). Although i didn't source it from Aliexpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10p...392571931.html?spm=2114.search0302.4.2.hCOkWL

Is Floatplane 1 or 2 weeks ahead?

I don't know, but its not on floatplane yet as far as i know. It was only leaked in a "behind the scenes" video.