Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

Geran Brown

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2017
Hi @LukeD, I am really excited about this case and have been holding off building my wife's and I new computers since we want small mATX setups and yours fit the bill.

Can't wait for it to be released.

Reactions: LukeD

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I haven't heard anything about those yet, no.
I'll try to make some inquiries.
I think that might be a question for @FSP Group

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Looks like it will stick out from the PCB a lot less and the fact that it's a rotary fitting is pretty awesome.

Yes that definitely helps with the top card !
I doubt it will work for the bottom one, but solves problems in other areas thats for sure :)
Great find man, i've already placed an order for one :D

Reactions: 3lfk1ng and cmyk78

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Playing around with the 1080 Ti's .... (aka ... the FSP octopus attacks !!!!) :)

some interesting facts ...
Flex SLI bridges as still as good if not better than HB :p

7700k overclocking is not all its hyped up to be (i guess it depends on the resolution) :p

Last edited:

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Yep, pretty sure its just down to deviation .... And no, those aren't averages ..those are single runs. But i did run the HB ones first ... so in theory the Flex SLI bridge results should be lower ? cards should be hotter ?

Or do they need to warm up before they start posting some serious numbers ? ;)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
But i did run the HB ones first ... so in theory the Flex SLI bridge results should be lower ? cards should be hotter ?

Eh, my guess would be that if you didn't restart your PC before running the HB tests, your machine might've had tasks running in the background already that slightly reduced performance. Then, when you restarted to install the flex bridges, all resources were a clean slate, so the benchmark had less problems with memory fragmentation and the likes.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Both fresh restarts before the tests were run. (As I had to turn the system off to install the HB bridge)
Both times the system was not connected to the net.
But now you have me intrigued :p
I have no choice but run one of those tests 5 times with each bridge, see if the deviation changes much.

Last edited:
Reactions: iFreilicht

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Hmmmm....... the only theory i have about this is that the flex sli bridges don't hold the cards as closely together as the HB bridge... perhaps one of the cards is getting more air with the flex bridge ?

Last edited:

RobonHood

Cable Smoosher
Sep 9, 2016
Playing around with the 1080 Ti's .... (aka ... the FSP octopus attacks !!!!) :)

some interesting facts ...
Flex SLI bridges as still as good if not better than HB :p

7700k overclocking is not all its hyped up to be (i guess it depends on the resolution) :p

So Hold on a second, you're not doing X99 now? What about the Ryzen photo bomb lol. I assume it's just the testing of multiple hardware specs in your cases for the rest of us to find out what would work best for us...right ;)?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Weird and interesting results.

the only theory i have about this is that the flex sli bridges don't hold the cards as closely together as the HB bridge... perhaps one of the cards is getting more air with the flex bridge ?

Hm, that might be the case, but it seems to me like the mounting points on the case provide much more rigidity to the cards than the SLI bridge. Especially considering that the card ege connectors on the bridge have a little bit of slack to them as well. It might be that the traces on the Flex SLI bridge are of higher quality in some way, but that's not something I can make an informed statement about.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
So Hold on a second, you're not doing X99 now? What about the Ryzen photo bomb lol. I assume it's just the testing of multiple hardware specs in your cases for the rest of us to find out what would work best for us...right ;)?

No. I'm not going with X99 for my own build. I just sold my 6800k and EVGA Micro 2. I loved the motherboard but there was absolutely no gaming performance benefit of it over the 7700k. Also the additional 50 Watts of power required for the 6800k would be pushing the setup of it with 2 x 1080Ti SLI's to the limit.

Also there was better support for other components, like the RGB ram on the Z270 platform than on X99. Ironically enough on this motherboard it doesn't work 100% hahaha.

Yeah, the point of me testing various hardware combinations is to see / show people what combinations work and how far it can be pushed.
X99 + 2 x 1080 was a really good sweet spot i think for gaming and productivity (it was all cooled by water, very quiet and efficient).
Z270 + 2 x 1080ti is obviously top of the line 3d performance but i think the CPU will need to be cooled by air and the 2 x 1080 ti's i'll put under water.
Anything below those specs can obviously ALL be cooled by a 240mm water setup.
I think putting a 6800k with 2 x 1080ti's would have exceeded the 240mm radiators capabilities. A Ryzen chip on the other hand would be a good alternative because its 95watt TDP vs 7700k's 91watt TDP. However.... with regards to Ryzen, i really wanted to jump on that bandwagon. But with the lack of X370 mATX SLI motherboards I cannot justify it now. I want to show Project Orthrus in the highest performance setting possible for 4k entertainment. Ryzen is not going to facilitate that unfortunately :(

Reactions: Phuncz

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I do kinda miss my 6800k + 2 x 1080 setup because i don't think 7700k + 2 x 1080ti's will all work under water.
I'm thinking about testing it, but I'm going to have to order some quick connect fittings i think. I'm a little over pulling all the water-cooling stuff apart and draining the bubbles :p

Reactions: Ceros_X