Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
That's one very sexy card ! :) I like it :)
Shouldn't be a problem in fitting that piece of sexy kit in the top slot of the case.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

D_McG

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2016
Can plumbing come down in parallel from the top card to the bottom card with 90 degree fittings in the space of the then vacant second slot?

Edit: or even place two cards front to back in the top slot?

Reactions: LukeD

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Yeah plumbing can come down from top card to bottom card.
You could do that already with the 2 slot water block cards.
The problem with that was, the bottom card needed a small GPU block to fit. In most full card blocks the terminal sits above the card and gets in the way of the PCIe riser of the top card.

You could potentially place 2 cards in the top 2 slots, however i don't think there's plumbing like that to connect the two card from EK right now ?
Or is there ?

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
Yeah plumbing can come down from top card to bottom card.
You could do that already with the 2 slot water block cards.
The problem with that was, the bottom card needed a small GPU block to fit. In most full card blocks the terminal sits above the card and gets in the way of the PCIe riser of the top card.

You could potentially place 2 cards in the top 2 slots, however i don't think there's plumbing like that to connect the two card from EK right now ?
Or is there ?

Is this terminal off too much or...? Looks to be slotted for single slot cards sandwiched next to eachother!

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
That does seem to be the case, but have a look where the outlets are
It would be reaching beyond the side panel of the case.

Reactions: LocoMoto

D_McG

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2016
I think the idea of that terminal is for both inlet and outlet to be pointing inward, towards the motherboard in your case. The short-side outlet wouldn't be used. The blank long-side shown on the ekwb website would be facing the side panel.

Reactions: LukeD and Ceros_X

BlackRogue

Trash Compacter
Oct 22, 2016
So nice to see this coming along, I was kinda worried about the extra weight the case had put on between revisions. But having them next to each other like this has put a lot of worries to rest. It's gonna look great with a full build inside with some transparent side panels

Reactions: Biowarejak

BlackRogue

Trash Compacter
Oct 22, 2016
Apologies if this have been asked/answered before. But will the front HDMI port be swappable for those not interested or unable to utilise VR headsets in exchange for something along the line of a USB type C port

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Luke, when can I put my hands on this jewel?

I'm starting to talk to manufacturers now. Believe me I would have loved to have this on store shelves long ago. Unfortunately my work life requires a lot of travel and it keeps me away from the project sometimes weeks at a time.

Apologies if this have been asked/answered before. But will the front HDMI port be swappable for those not interested or unable to utilise VR headsets in exchange for something along the line of a USB type C port

Indeed it is swappable ! It is actually a keystone compatible socket ! You can replace it for a USB-C port, USB-A port, mini-jack, anything that has a keystone module :D

BennyBurner

Efficiency Noob
New User
May 5, 2017
Hi Luke,

I've been following the progress of Orthrus for a few months now. I made an account to send some encouragement your way. Keep doing what you're doing mate, it's looking awesome! Best of luck in getting a manufacturer on board!

Very excited to build in the finished product :D

Cheers,
Ben

Castlepounder

Efficiency Noob
Feb 16, 2017
Been silently following this for a while now, absolutely love the design! The front HDMI is a great touch for us VR guys! In your opinion what is the optimal cooling set up? From the spreadsheet it seemed like a CPU+GPU+GPU loop was the best for noise and temps, but 240mm rad for three components seems a bit on the low side. Also which style GPU cooler would you recommend if going air cooling? Excited to see this case hit the production lines, it is truly beautiful!

The6A

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
Thanks Ben ! Really appreciate your kind words. Knowing people share my vision and goals helps a lot.

Been following for a little while myself. Feels like Christmas is taking for ever to get here but I understand it takes time when your the visionary doing something different. I am a freelancer who moves around offices and needs tons of GPU render power, so this looks about perfect to me.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Hi Guys,
Welcome to the forum and thank you for reaching out and your kind words.

A 240mm loop will easily cool a 140watt cpu + 2 x 1080
i think it should also be able to cool a 95 watt cpu + 2 x 1080ti's. (i will be testing this when I get back to Australia)
If you're running GPU's on air i would suggest blower style GPU coolers.

My apologies for all the delays. I travel about 80% of the time for my day to day job, which pays for all the prototyping and equipment. I sincerely appreciate the patience everyone is showing and the support.

I have already began discussions with potential manufacturers. Hopefully I can narrow down the list shortly.

There will be more to reveal in the near future :)

Last edited: