Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

Roger

Efficiency Noob
Apr 30, 2016
If there is enough interest in such a case. mATX doesn't seem to be a very popular form factor though.
I've always had a taste for the unique :)

P.S. Happy New Year everyone. Its already 2017 in Australia :D

Definitely interested, please do let us know when you're ready to sell, IM IN LOVE

Reactions: LukeD

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Me too. I can't wait. Had a few hiccups with production but hopefully I'll have it by mid Jan :)

BlackRogue

Trash Compacter
Oct 22, 2016
I have to say I was a bit worried about the size increase when you decided to widen it to fit a a 240mm AIO. But the outcome is far greater than I imagined

BlackRogue

Trash Compacter
Oct 22, 2016
Also quick question, has the picture of the case been flipped because the GPU and mobo chambers seem to have swapped sides

-Edit: Actually you can see the the mobo layout has inverted rear io. So the chambers must have been swapped. Is this for any particular reason?-

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I have to say I was a bit worried about the size increase when you decided to widen it to fit a a 240mm AIO. But the outcome is far greater than I imagined

Do you mean that trade-off was worth it ?

Also quick question, has the picture of the case been flipped because the GPU and mobo chambers seem to have swapped sides

-Edit: Actually you can see the the mobo layout has inverted rear io. So the chambers must have been swapped. Is this for any particular reason?-

Yes, the chambers have been swapped for "tetris" purposes :). Because I wanted to support a water block for the TOP gpu, I inverted the design. Most water blocks have terminals up top.

It was also an opportunity to make the GPU rest on the PCIe extenders rather than hang off them.... this wasn't an issue initially, however If i decided to change PCIe manufacturers, if they didn't have extenders with locks in place, it would make it less "secure"

Inverting the design also helped shorten the PSU cables significantly.

However... your eagle eyes did pick up on the PEMs being on the wrong side of the case. Both the GPU pems and MB pems were installed on the same side of the case. Something that is being rectified right now, hence the delay.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Both the GPU pems and MB pems were installed on the same side of the case.

Haha, I could easily see that happening since it's probably not obvious to the PEMSERTER operator which way they should go since there's a chamber on either side of the motherboard tray.

For production you'll probably want to mention to the manufacturer to very clearly mark on the drawings they hand out to the workers on the floor which way the standoffs goes.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Definitely Aibohphobia.
Funny thing is, its all correct in the drawing however obviously this has now come up as an area where a mistake could be made.
In all honesty, i don't know how this can be rectified apart from starting over ?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The drawing is what the manufacturer is accountable to, so if the operator installs the standoff backwards then it's the manufacturers problem to deal with not yours.

But if the design is prone to errors in manufacturing then they may quote you higher than they would otherwise to account for the higher scrap rate. I think this is a simple case of making sure the operator is aware of the correct orientation though, and over a production run it'd be pretty simple because after a couple cases they'll memorize it.

If you really wanted to be sure maybe you could have the motherboard tray etched with "Mobo Side" on that side during laser cutting. But I don't think that's really necessary.

Reactions: Phuncz and LukeD

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
That's literally what came to my mind. Maybe put an etched in "M" for every PEM on the motherboard side and a "G" for GPU side pems. :)

Reactions: Phuncz and jeshikat

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Thanks for the heads up Sean ;)
I think as PCI riser cables get more and more reliable, it only makes sense to move components around the case.
Probably also means Lian Li may not want to make my case if I approached them :p
They'll say it was their idea ;)

On a more positive side of things ... They might have created longer SLI cables ;)
Also looks like their case is a lot bigger with potentially an ATX motherboard fitting in there ?

Last edited:

sshantt

Efficiency Noob
Nov 1, 2016
I think they've already been “inspired“ (lets say) by your case Luke...

I might be wrong but it seems to be quite similar except the psu is at the bottom.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Actually if you flip Project Orthrus V1 upside down... that's literally the layout ;)

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Actually i think its just space for radiators on the top. But yes, we're on SFFForum for a reason :)
Whilst their case is larger with more storage options, I'm actually hoping this new form factor which has been shared across other cases in the past is more widely adopted.
It only makes sense to do so. We have the technology these days to do it.

Wouldn't it be great if we had "modular" PCIe slots on motherboards as a result of this ?
So we could insert the PCIe connector to the front or the back side of the motherboard as we wish ?
One can only dream :)

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
So guess what arrived on my door step this afternoon ? (P.S. I couldn't help but try an AIO on it already)

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
It is a little bit like that :) so much fun to design and then .... when your estimates and measurements turn out to work, as you're putting it together ... its "OH SO" satisfying :)