Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Yep, soldered 2 together. A bit of a messy process but it can be done.
I've approached two places to get custom SLI cables made but they both shied away.
I need to keep looking or wait for Lian Li to offer them for sale, since they are coming out with a case with a very similar layout to mine.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I've approached two places to get custom SLI cables made but they both shied away.
I need to keep looking or wait for Lian Li to offer them for sale, since they are coming out with a case with a very similar layout to mine.
What places?

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
You need 2 SLI cables.
Cut off the connector on each end of each cable.
Desolder the pins left over from the SLI plastic connector (probably the most time consuming part) (do this for each cable)
Heat up the end of the SLI cable so you can separate the ribbon from the clear PCB. (do this for each cable)
Line up the cables and solder through.
I think I have some pictures. If not, I'll be making some in the next few days. I'll take pics of the process.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
In the meantime, I'm working on custom length cables for the FSP power supply :)

Reactions: Clarvel

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Hahaha that's right Aibohphobia ;) I'd do a lot more to save even 100 ml :) hahahaha

and yes it is a crazy obsession ;)

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015

I figured you had this line of thought going already; I just could not find where you had mentioned it. Otherwise buyers would be left on their own to find SLI cables that would work. Hopefully you can find a place to get custom cables. Have you asked ModDIY? They may be able to help.

Reactions: LukeD

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I haven't asked those guys. I will though. Thanks for the heads up.
I've asked a few companies that produce flexible cables. I can't remember the name exactly but these cables have a specific name.
ModDIY will be on my list to ask ;)
Especially that I have ordered a ton of stuff from them to pull off the 1st project ;)

Reactions: Ceros_X

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I was just testing the power supply if i cabled it correctly.... and I couldn't help but run a few tests :)
Forgive me about the picture quality ... the photos were taken with a potato :)
P.S. And when i say "With Case" it also obviously means with my makeshift SLI cables and PCI risers :)

Reactions: ricochet

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I was just testing the power supply if i cabled it correctly.... and I couldn't help but run a few tests :)
Forgive me about the picture quality ... the photos were taken with a potato :)
P.S. And when i say "With Case" it also obviously means with my makeshift SLI cables and PCI risers :)

I feel like Vega would be the perfect candidate for this case because of the integrated XFire.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
It would. Would love to test it in there if AMD helps me out :)
However, the SLI cables are now nicely hidden :) more pictures of that coming soon.

Reactions: Ceros_X

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
It would. Would love to test it in there if AMD helps me out :)
However, the SLI cables are now nicely hidden :) more pictures of that coming soon.
Still, they are custom. But, if you do sell this, include a custom SLI cable. Some people don't want to go through the pain.

Reactions: LukeD