Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Signed up for this forum just to let @LukeD know there's at least one more interested purchaser.

Awesome thank you for your support I greatly appreciate it !

@LukeD do you know what would be the cost (or cost range, rough) of ordering a case and a power supply?

Working on the costs right now. But I can say that I won't be involved in PSU's. I've made the design change to support FlexATX / 1U / SFX / SFX-L so that users can choose their own power supplies. Ofcourse I'll share my experiences with the different PSU types so users can make an informed decision.

Hello, I've been following this for about 6 months. Finally made an account to just say please hurry!
Dying out here holding off in building.
Also just a heads up looks like zotac recently came out with insane small forms factor 1080tis. Called the artic mini but requires water cool.
This could possibly make this case even smaller? Or perhaps use the new available space for water cooling?

Thank you for your support. With regards to the new 1080ti, I don't see much value in minimising the case to support 1 type of graphics card. If the vendor pulls the card or there is little stock it will limit the sales of the case. I also want to make the case customisable enough so people have options on what they want to do with it.

will you be kickstarting this? I WANT ONE.
Possibly :) I'm looking at various options now.

I am a huge fan of this project. Hoping to buy this one day. I have one question. What is maximal size for GPU in SLI mode?
10,5" (270mm) GPU's, standard height are supported

I seriously wish more games were optimized to fully benefit from SLI, otherwise I'd be all over this case no question.

I've also had inquiries from cad designers, renderers, pilots, people in movie production. Seems there's more application to dual GPU's than just SLI for gaming. But I agree with you, would be nice to see more SLI optimised software.

I've made this account only for this XD I can't wait !!
How close would you say you are now to setting up any sort of a contract for mass production? I will be the first to buy this case at any cost, trust me hahaha. It's stunning what you have produced here and I am 100% with you @LukeD ! :thumb:
I would love to have been a part of the initial design phase as it would have been a massive amount of fun and a big learning curve. I hope all this works wonders for you because you have something extremely good on you hands.

Best wishes buddy :thumb::)

:) Awesome ! thank you for your support and kind words. I'm in talks right now, looking at options to bring case to the market in a timely manner. Stay tuned I should have more info later this month.

Also it has been an immense challenge but a lot of fun putting this whole project together. I am truly humble with regards to all the support I've received on this site to bring the idea to fruition both from members and other designers. Its an amazing community without which I don't think I would have pursued this project further beyond my own interests.

knarf

Case Bender
Aug 23, 2017
I love the PC case @LukeD!
The only thing I'd wish was that it had a top handle.
The form factor looks perfect to be a portable pc to take with me on LAN's.

knarf

Case Bender
Aug 23, 2017
Leather strap riveted on top or wrap around carry handle and you're done with it ;-)

Kinda feel like straps is a bit ugly solution.

@knarf I'm pretty sure the case will fit in your backpack anyway. It'd be cool getting to your lan party with a backpack and pulling out your Dual SLI system.

If there's no way to get a handle on it; then I guess this is the next best solution!

Anyway, write me up @LukeD, I'm definitely buying/kickstarting this if it comes out anytime this year!

khmergod

Case Bender
Jan 2, 2018
I've made this account only for this XD I can't wait !!

How close would you say you are now to setting up any sort of a contract for mass production? I will be the first to buy this case at any cost, trust me hahaha. It's stunning what you have produced here and I am 100% with you @LukeD ! :thumb:

I would love to have been a part of the initial design phase as it would have been a massive amount of fun and a big learning curve. I hope all this works wonders for you because you have something extremely good on you hands.

Best wishes buddy :thumb::)

I also made an account solely to buy this case.

Reactions: Biowarejak

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Hey, I just wanted to express some more interest in your case!

Glad things seem to be moving along, I'm considering trying to do not a SLI setup, but a Linux host with gaming VM using "looking glass" IOMMU that lets the Linux GPU copy the guest GPU's frame buffer. It has a lot of cool implications like not needing cables for the guest GPU and being able to do Freesync on Nvidia cards and stuff... If it keeps getting ironed out (currently alpha) and I can figure out how to do it on my end!

Something like a workstation AMD GPU with a bunch of video outs and Freesync for Linux, and a high powered Nvidia GPU for my Windows 10 VM is what I'm thinking. Hopefully the "workstation card" is single-slot to allow me to run another expansion card, whether it's just a USB card to pass through to the VM and avoid headaches or it's something like a PCIe SSD...

Anyways, both this and Cerberus seem like great options and I'm excited to start considering both of them a little more heavily. I like some of the mainstream cases (NZXT's H400i looks pretty nice, IMO), but they're so big!

I really like the tempered glass side panel(s) trend cases are going in, and that's one big push for me towards this vs Cerberus. I have to say, the ventilation cutout design isn't necessarly to my taste, though. Do you have any idea if you'll be able to offer the case without those cutout patterns? (Along the aluminum parts of the frame.) Also, it doesn't seem like the front panel comes off of this case, but if it does, is it replaceable with a wooden version? :)

Thanks!

Reactions: Biowarejak

kaboom

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 26, 2017
Hello, I am a player from China. My English is not very good. So all you see is text from Google Translate. It may not be right. Please understand.
I've been following your project. But now I want to give you some advice on the video card and the handle.

The first is the graphics card, you give the length of the NVIDIA graphics card, but most people are using non-public version of the card, so the video card length will increase. I hope you can lengthen the chassis for 3 graphics cards for fans.

Followed by the views on the handle, I looked for a similar design in the Chinese market, I feel pretty good, I hope you can learn from, as shown below.

My idea is to use an aluminum metal to bring a circle around the chassis. This is both beautiful and has a very good solidity. I wish your project as soon as possible, can be sold in China. Hope not too expensive

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Welcome to the forum :) that was actually pretty understandable, Google translate does a good job.

I kinda like that handle but I don't trust a cantilevered design to withstand the weight of everything in the chassis.

Reactions: Jello