Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
632 Watts peak on 2 x 1080 Ti + 7700k @ 5ghz
Were the clocks on the 1080 Ti's stock?

EDIT: I found out some more information about the FSP 850W Flex ATX PSU. They kind of released it... This is what I got back from an email!

Good morning, MY NAME
We only have FSP850-50FGPH1 80+ platinum ready for project based.
How many pieces will you need?

Sincerely,

THAT PERSON'S NAME
FSP GROUP USA CORP.
14284 Albers Way, Chino, CA 91710, U.S.A.
Tel : (909) 606-0960 x 1224
Direct: (909) 270-4111
Fax : (909) 606-0014
Web: www.fspgroupusa.com

I'm waiting for an email about MOQ and pricing.

Last edited:

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I think Aibophobia said the FSP 850W FlexATX is very loud, unlike the 700W.
I've made adjustments to the case to fit in an SFX-L PSU for that very reason.
Silverstone SFX-L 800W Platinum is what i'd recommend using for high end builds.
Would be enough to support 140 watt CPU configs with dual 1080 Ti's

aflkdjwa4tlj

What's an ITX?
Oct 19, 2017
Here are my hopes/thoughts/etc on this...

1. I hope it or a version of it comes with non-transparent side panels. I like the hardy industrial look and that includes a strong dislike of case windows. I don't mind ventilation holes but I just don't care to see my components. Any lights that I can't disable are distracting so I'd much prefer to hide everything.

2. You can probably change the fan support information to 120x38 since I believe those will fit as long as there isn't a radiator.

3. If you ever bang out different versions, consider a configuration option where the power supply isn't up top, but rather occupying the empty space above the motherboard, thus reducing the overall height of the case.

4. Capacitive power switch is neat, but I'm terrified I'll bump it while I'm trying to plug in a USB drive.

5. Is there anywhere easier we can track the progress and release, like facebook or twitter? I don't come to these forums except to see if I can buy this case yet.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Ditlan

Chassis Packer
Feb 28, 2017

4. Capacitive power switch is neat, but I'm terrified I'll bump it while I'm trying to plug in a USB drive.

Very easy and cheap to get something else in there are its a standard sized hole. You can also change the power button behaviour to 'do nothing', which allows you to use it to turn on your PC, but it is then disabled (not sure about long press) and you use the start menu to shut down.

Reactions: Biowarejak

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016

1. I hope it or a version of it comes with non-transparent side panels. I like the hardy industrial look and that includes a strong dislike of case windows. I don't mind ventilation holes but I just don't care to see my components. Any lights that I can't disable are distracting so I'd much prefer to hide everything.

That might be an option. I'll see what I can work out with the manufacturer.

2. You can probably change the fan support information to 120x38 since I believe those will fit as long as there isn't a radiator.

Yes, spot on. I even tried a Sunon 120x38 Fan...... man that thing BLOWS :) in a good way :D

3. If you ever bang out different versions, consider a configuration option where the power supply isn't up top, but rather occupying the empty space above the motherboard, thus reducing the overall height of the case.

There's not enough space there :) believe me i already tried, I'd have to make the case wider.

Trust me you won't. The switch requires some force and cannot be accidentally turned on. As a matter of fact, Linus thought the switch was broken because it requires a certain type of press to get it working. Its not as "sensitive" as say for example a touch screen button or xbox one capactivie power button.

5. Is there anywhere easier we can track the progress and release, like facebook or twitter? I don't come to these forums except to see if I can buy this case yet.

@LukeD_NC on twitter :) #ProjectOrthrus

Very easy and cheap to get something else in there are its a standard sized hole. You can also change the power button behaviour to 'do nothing', which allows you to use it to turn on your PC, but it is then disabled (not sure about long press) and you use the start menu to shut down.

Yes, you will be able to replace it with whatever power button is available on the market at that time :)

smej

What's an ITX?
Oct 28, 2017
I Joined this forum because of this awesome build design.
Aussie here too, QLD side. Please let me know when you will be selling these cases as i want to downsize from my wall mounted Core P5 SLI build to the smallest possible full water cooled build

Thermosman

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2017
Couple of questions:
When the case will be available? (estimate) (If you don't know, thats ok :) )
Over what means do you think you will distribute the case? (ex. online store, kickstarter/indiegogo/etc.)
How much do you think the case will cost? (estimate)
Who are you having mass-produce the case?
Will it only be a 1-time production run?
Thanks

Last edited:

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I Joined this forum because of this awesome build design.
Aussie here too, QLD side. Please let me know when you will be selling these cases as i want to downsize from my wall mounted Core P5 SLI build to the smallest possible full water cooled build

Will do man :) Thank you for your support. Welcome to the forums :)

Couple of questions:
When the case will be available? (estimate) (If you don't know, thats ok :) )
Not sure yet at this time, I'm still working out prototype kinks. Next phase will be to get a manufacturing sample and work out the kinks on that.

Over what means do you think you will distribute the case? (ex. online store, kickstarter/indiegogo/etc.)
I will aim for either a kickstarter or through an online store of the manufacturer of the case.

How much do you think the case will cost? (estimate)
I will try to keep it below $400 USD

Who are you having mass-produce the case?
Will it only be a 1-time production run?

It will be based on the demand generated by the kickstarter.

TheClash

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017

Just kidding - but I do hope we hear something soon! :) I have now signed up to two forums for this build! ;)

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Hey guys !

Just a quick update from my side.
Protocase have shipped the latest prototype to me. I should have it on Monday 18th December :) Just before Christmas. I'll be testing all the parts and some new features that were worked in.
I'll be posting pics and more info soon, before the end of the year :)