Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
@kaboom For gpu type choice, reference design is offering a good compromise size/performance/cooling as it’s extracting hot air from case. This type of gpu is classical in sff world as sff struggles, generally, to exhaust hot air.

You mentionned also compatibility with gpu with 3 fans (strix, ftw 3, trio)...i must admit these cards are not sff friendly as they are, generally, too tall, too fat for sff..;)

Reactions: Biowarejak

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Hi Kaboom,

I think supporting larger than standard graphics cards, as Biowarejak and MarcParis stated, goes against the whole concept of small form factor design.
While 3 fan graphics cards won't be supported, graphics cards like the EVGA 2 fan will be:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6693-KR

Having said that, if you use the case with a single non-standard GPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeandroJVarini

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Hey, I just wanted to express some more interest in your case!
I really like the tempered glass side panel(s) trend cases are going in, and that's one big push for me towards this vs Cerberus. I have to say, the ventilation cutout design isn't necessarly to my taste, though. Do you have any idea if you'll be able to offer the case without those cutout patterns? (Along the aluminum parts of the frame.) Also, it doesn't seem like the front panel comes off of this case, but if it does, is it replaceable with a wooden version? :)
Thanks!

Right now the case features acrylic side panels (for weight reduction). I will look to see if they can be replace with tempered glass.
There will be an option to order side panels without vent patterns.
The front panel does not come off as the case is literally 1 piece (well actually a few but welded together)

ShieldSean

Cable Smoosher
Dec 23, 2017
Right now the case features acrylic side panels (for weight reduction). I will look to see if they can be replace with tempered glass.

I bet the benefits you get of non-scratching tempered glass aren't worth the extra cost of getting tempered glass with holes in it. I don't think you can drill holes in tempered glass, so you'd need to mold it with holes while it was still molten glass which sounds a little sketch. Caveat: I'm not a materials person at all, happy to be explained wrong there.

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
Hey @LukeD I've been following up on this case for awhile now and I think it's a really awesome concept, but one thing that has caught my attention is that cooling is a bit of an issue. A full water loop seems like a good idea but the fact that there is only a 240mm radiator is a bit of a let down. So I was thinking, with the space created by using an SFX-L power supply, could you maybe make it where you can mount a 120mm radiator at the top too, instead of the drive mounting? Preferably a thicker one for even more cooling capabilities?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I bet the benefits you get of non-scratching tempered glass aren't worth the extra cost of getting tempered glass with holes in it. I don't think you can drill holes in tempered glass, so you'd need to mold it with holes while it was still molten glass which sounds a little sketch. Caveat: I'm not a materials person at all, happy to be explained wrong there.
They drill the hole in the glass before it gets tempered; I've seen each hole go for tens of dollars so it adds up quickly. Probably ~150 usd a panel with four holes depending on order volume, and more importantly where you get it from.

LeandroJVarini

Chassis Packer
Jul 4, 2017
One last tease before we get to the business side of things :)

it's beautiful

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
Wait so are you splitting the single 16 lane PCIe slot into two for the graphics cards from the miniITX board? And it works?? Wow that's amazing. And this build is literally the most beautiful thing now.

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
Yeah I figured that is exactly how it works. Absolutely genius idea! This case is just amazing now. Do you mind posting some temperatures though aswell as a lighter picture of the motherboard side?