Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

Resv

What's an ITX?
Dec 26, 2017
Hello, I've been following this for about 6 months. Finally made an account to just say please hurry!
Dying out here holding off in building.

Also just a heads up looks like zotac recently came out with insane small forms factor 1080tis. Called the artic mini but requires water cool.

This could possibly make this case even smaller? Or perhaps use the new available space for water cooling?

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Finally an update ! Yaaaaay :)

So I'm excited to share with you guys features that I've hinted at, and some I managed to sneak in over the last couple of weeks.
Protoclaus has been more than generous in allowing me to make these additional modifications and getting it to my doorstep before Christmas :) Amazing work by Protocase.

Now the new features:
- Front I/O is totally modular entirely composed of keystone compatible jacks. This way you can mix match I/O as required (USB3, USBC, HDMI, etc) - what do you guys think ?
- SFX-L PSU support
- Additional 3 x 2,5" HDD support (on top of the already 2 x 2,5" HDD support) if you use a SFX-L PSU
- Improved ITX board support and PCIe riser support.

Some small changes that may go unnoticed:
- The radiator bracket is a part of the centre divider in the case: adding rigidity and manufacturing simplicity. It is also divided in half (if we want to call it that)
- There's more holes in the middle divider of the case to allow for cable management from ITX boards

And now for some pics:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
- Front I/O is totally modular entirely composed of keystone compatible jacks. This way you can mix match I/O as required (USB3, USBC, HDMI, etc) - what do you guys think ?

@LukeD Keystone compatibility seems to me to be an absolutely GENIUS way to offer I/O customization. Way to differentiate your product. I think you might be onto something huge with this approach.

OT: Have you discussed with SFFLab to see if this project is a good fit?

BennyBurner

Efficiency Noob
New User
May 5, 2017
Looking good Luke! Loving the evolution of your case and I'm super happy to have the SFX capability, that was the only challenging part of this case for me as I have zero experience with re-cabling or soldering. Really excited to downsize my rig in 2018 in this :D

LeandroJVarini

Chassis Packer
Jul 4, 2017
Finally an update ! Yaaaaay :)

So I'm excited to share with you guys features that I've hinted at, and some I managed to sneak in over the last couple of weeks.
Protoclaus has been more than generous in allowing me to make these additional modifications and getting it to my doorstep before Christmas :) Amazing work by Protocase.

Now the new features:
- SFX-L PSU support
- Additional 3 x 2,5" HDD support (on top of the already 2 x 2,5" HDD support) if you use a SFX-L PSU
- Improved ITX board support and PCIe riser support.

Some small changes that may go unnoticed:
- The radiator bracket is a part of the centre divider in the case: adding rigidity and manufacturing simplicity. It is also divided in half (if we want to call it that)
- There's more holes in the middle divider of the case to allow for cable management from ITX boards

And now for some pics:

Oh my god!

I found the perfect changes.

Using keystone system will be perfect, particularly would not move more is perfect!
SFX is a great way out, much easier to find several models and brands.

I wonder if you made any changes in the distance of the video cards, now we can use block in the two units without modifying the block of the lower board?

The question worth a million dollars, when can we buy it? LOLOLOLOL

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I seriously wish more games were optimized to fully benefit from SLI, otherwise I'd be all over this case no question.
Welcome to the forum! :) and yeah, but it certainly does hold great promise for workstation builds while SLI and Multi-GPU gets refined

MrMouns

What's an ITX?
Jan 9, 2018
I've made this account only for this XD I can't wait !!

How close would you say you are now to setting up any sort of a contract for mass production? I will be the first to buy this case at any cost, trust me hahaha. It's stunning what you have produced here and I am 100% with you @LukeD ! :thumb:

I would love to have been a part of the initial design phase as it would have been a massive amount of fun and a big learning curve. I hope all this works wonders for you because you have something extremely good on you hands.

Best wishes buddy :thumb::)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Welcome to the forum! :)
I would love to have been a part of the initial design phase as it would have been a massive amount of fun and a big learning curve.
We actually have a whole bunch of resources and advice for anyone wanting to get into case design and manufacturing!

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I've made this account only for this XD I can't wait !!

How close would you say you are now to setting up any sort of a contract for mass production? I will be the first to buy this case at any cost, trust me hahaha. It's stunning what you have produced here and I am 100% with you @LukeD ! :thumb:

I would love to have been a part of the initial design phase as it would have been a massive amount of fun and a big learning curve. I hope all this works wonders for you because you have something extremely good on you hands.

Best wishes buddy :thumb::)
You should check out @Aibohphobia's STX160 build log, it's basically a guide.

Reactions: Biowarejak