Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

BennyBurner

Efficiency Noob
New User
May 5, 2017
The hype is real Luke! Checking the thread most days now and HOLY SH*T a whole album of new pics?

I like the blacked out sections - cleans up the overall look. Have you considered adding a thinner black line around the other two edges to better define the edges of the glass (similar to the enthoo evolv atx tempered glass ed.).

I'm curious now that you're running an SFX PSU, does a taller GPU board like an EVGA 1080 ftw still fit in one of the gpu positions? It looks like the bottom slot might work but that's assuming the mounting bracket for the top card is removable?

TheClash

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
OMG it looks amazing... I keep coming here like a lost sheep hoping to see some new stuff and every time I do its amazing!

I personally am not a fan of the blacked out borders for some reason my OCD doesnt like it... perhaps like BennyBurner says a thinner black line on the other two edges might even it up... but then you wont see much at all.

I would like to see thinner blacked out sections but I guess you will run into the problem of the PSU being fatter than the 'line' which might look bad... TBH I love seeing the 'guts'.

Anyhow, I will be camping out online/kickstarter whenever this gets released for purchase!

Keep up the good work mate, hopefully Linus will do another build after this goes mainstream!

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Do you guys like the side panels partly painted / partly translucent like this ?
I think it does a good job to hide the cabling mess :)

I basically took the translucent side panels and painted section on top and front black.

I kinda prefer the default look? could be just me but I think the glass is already tinted, isn't it?
is there a 3/4 view of that setup?

also, I (personally) would block a thin strip on bottom and backside as well, not just front and top. and at that top corner I would folow the case bevel. I think its a beautiful detail to 'square up'

anyway, its Looking really good :)

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
What is the thing that you used to split the PCIe lane?

Does it need a power connection?

Will it be included with the case?

Also I think it would be best if you left the glass fully transparent. It would kinda just ruin the look of the case if you covered the borders like that.

Last edited:

zanduh

Trash Compacter
Jan 15, 2018
I definitely prefer all clear panel to painted. IMO showing off sexy cabling is more impressive than hiding it

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
What is the thing that you used to split the PCIe lane?

Does it need a power connection?

Will it be included with the case?
PCIE Bifurcation. Expensive piece of kit and getting it working requires BIOS support :)

TheClash

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
I tried to do some Photo shop (read: MS Paint) and implement what owliwar suggested... and I think it looks pretty good. The angle follows the case bevel and then a thin border on the other two sides of the window.

If this breaches any use LukeD let me know and I will remove it.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Let me know when the mITX version is available and I'll put in a preorder lol. It'll save me from making my own version :p
Although I may take some inspiration and make my own version as there looks like there would be a lot of empty space when I shoved my nanos in there.

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
If people actually like the slightly covered side panels for what ever reason, can you at least make it and option then? Because in my opinion and I'm sure other people's opinions too, the fully transparent side panel looks much more visually pleasing and gives the case a much better feel.

LeandroJVarini

Chassis Packer
Jul 4, 2017
I think it would be nice two pieces, one in metal of the same material of the case, and another in acrylic or glass, the one of metal would be only a frame that you hold together with the transparent, being at your discretion whether or not used.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
A somewhat cheap option would be to send the case with a full acrylic/glass side panel and an optional vinyl piece that could be applied on top of it. Just keeps down the amount of SKUs and pieces that need to be manufactured. And it opens up the piece to some custom design work if anyone wanted a unique side panel as getting vinyl and getting it cut is relatively cheap and easy.

Just some food for thought.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Yeah thats the way i was thinking this will be headed. Only issue is i need to also make vented sides and non-vented. So there will be at least 4 SKU's for side panels:

- Aluminium non vented
- Aluminium vented
- Acrylic tinted non vented
- Acrylic tinted vented