Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
you can join them together in one cable , and make sure the plug and cable diameters can support 1800 watts . is easy to do just thicker wire.

something like this , but thicker cable to take 1200 or 1800 watts

I suppose I could see the merit in that. Especially as a one cord solution to PC&Monitor. The suggestions, while interesting, may be a bit too much to implement at this stage when so much is done already. It's up to @LukeD of course :) but that's just the feel I'm getting

Reactions: AleksandarK

Samer

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2017
I agree with SpringerTheNerd, unless you're using inefficient AMD GPU's, this is more than enough to run 6 cores + 2 Ti GPU's: Silverstone 800 SFX-L Platinum

you will need two power supplies for many reasons (with 2 GTX 1080ti and cpu) :

1- Reason one : Intel i9 CPU 14 cores and up , Power TDP = 165 watts without overclocking (will hit more than 200 watt with OC)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/x-series/i9-7940x.html

2- AMD Threadripper CPU : 180 watts not overclocked as well.

http://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x

forget about old i7 cpu with 91 watts TDP ... we are in the 200+ watts CPU Era

3- Running the power supplies cool and efficient : it is recommended never to reach more than 70% of the power supply maximum power for low temps and efficiency , the ideal is 50% by the way...I personally use 1000 watts power supply and my system draws 500 only , expensive ? yes cool ? super yes .

4- Less noise , No one wants the SFX-L fans to run at maximum speed , will be annoying and noisy.

5- using the PC for charging using USB-C specs , this can be upto 100 watts. yes you can charge your notebook using it while working.

6- more over , AMD is making dual GPU VEGA card soon ,

hint : AMD Dual GPU VEGA card coming , ... you can use two of them.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/58657/amd-radeon-rx-vega-dual-gpu-liquid-cooled-600w/index.html

Maybe some one will make non watercooled version of it , we will see.

and finally ,

The second power supply can be made optional , Just add removable mounts and a bracket for it .. if not needed, the place can be used for 3.5 cage simple and easy ... a piece of L shaped metal

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
It's happened with Dan's A4 thread before, so I should point out cases are usually designed for a specific layout and (some of them) thermal performance. Edge cases like a system using 90% of a 1600W power setup would mean designing the case to be bigger for the main userbase that uses half or even less

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
hint : AMD Dual GPU VEGA card coming , ... you can use two of them.
The amount of heat that you would be dissipating would be NOT FROM THIS WORLD.

To power 14C 7940X and QUAD VEGA chips( two dual cards) you would need one of those Superflower 2000W PSUs.

I would reccomend to you to go for something bigger.

Samer

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2017
The amount of heat that you would be dissipating would be NOT FROM THIS WORLD.

To power 14C 7940X and QUAD VEGA chips( two dual cards) you would need one of those Superflower 2000W PSUs.

I would reccomend to you to go for something bigger.

and how about 7940X + 2x GTX 1080ti ? this will need 1000 watts power supply ... 2x Corsair SFX 600 watts is in mind.

and how about single Dual GPU Vega card + i9 ? and use the other slot for other cards (2 cards ?) you can cable 3 slots by the way if you use only one card for GPU. and for this a dual Vega is cool .. I can easily add 2x PCIe SSD cards in two slots , and one VEGA 2x in the other.

Samer

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2017
@Samer, Sounds like your use case is pretty niche. This case may not be for you.

not really, I am planning on 2xGTX 1080 ti and 14 cores intel or 16 cores AMD CPU ...

as I said , I dont want the power supply to run 100% and for this 800watts SFX-L is not enough. I will need 1000 watts minimum. and I have 2x SFX 600 watts from corsair in mind , they are the best SFX in the market way better than silverstone power supplies.

I will be modding the case to have 2 power supplies if Luke does not add that bracket , I will do it myself :)

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
8700k is still a 95watt CPU, even though its 6c/12t
I was running 7700k OC @ 5GHz and 2 x 1080ti and i was getting around 630 Watt's MAX from the wall ?
I imagine a 8700k will perform about the same. So we're far from 100% usage on SFX-L 800WATT psu.
Also ... Volta around the corner I would expect those cards to be around 180-200watts each, which will once again lower power usage.
1000 Watt+ PSU's are seriously over-rated and over-kill.
If i remember correctly the fan on the SFX-L psu is around 11mm, it won't be that loud. GPU fans will be louder.

Samer

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2017
8700k is still a 95watt CPU, even though its 6c/12t
I was running 7700k OC @ 5GHz and 2 x 1080ti and i was getting around 630 Watt's MAX from the wall ?
I imagine a 8700k will perform about the same. So we're far from 100% usage on SFX-L 800WATT psu.
Also ... Volta around the corner I would expect those cards to be around 180-200watts each, which will once again lower power usage.
1000 Watt+ PSU's are seriously over-rated and over-kill.
If i remember correctly the fan on the SFX-L psu is around 11mm, it won't be that loud. GPU fans will be louder.

and what if I wanted X299 motherboard and X series i9 in your case ?

The higher end 44 lanes CPU with quad channel memory consumes alot more power than entry level 16 lanes CPUs with dual channel memory and less cores...

True some people will never use more than 95 watts CPU . but I am going for 160 watts CPUs and will overclock them and this is not as simple as consumer grades CPUs. My PC will be not only for gaming.

anyways it is just a suggestion , I will be modding it for me anyways :) , it is just OPTIONAL and the space is already there in the case so why not? remember that you were using 25cm length 1u power supply and this length will easily take 2xSFX power 10cm long each.

and remember , Corsair gives 7 years warranty on their power supplies and they are tier one power supplies , unlike silverstone which are tier 3 powersupplies in quality and only give 3 years warranty.

when you see 7 years VS 3 years warranty in power supplies , take the 7 years one. personally I will never buy any power supply with 3 years warranty only ... I dont want silverstone power supplies ... I want better quality

you can check here

corsair SFX power 600 (7 years warranty Quality)

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=477

Silverstone 800 SFX (3 years warranty)

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=518

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Samer I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I have to factor in the most common use cases for this case. No pun intended.
While you're more than welcome to perform any mods you like on the case, with new CPU's even in the 160watt range, if the new Volta's are 200watts each you're still going to get using up to 560 watts max from the wall. Plenty of headroom mate.
And even if ... you went 160 watt CPU and 250 Watt dual gpu's you're still 660 watts / 800 watts.
I've used the 700 Watt silverstone PSU and it is quiet.

Also i would suggest staying away from X299 and going with 8xxx series CPU's... looks like they will be cheaper, more power efficient :)

Last edited:

Samer

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2017
Samer I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I have to factor in the most common use cases for this case. No pun intended.
While you're more than welcome to perform any mods you like on the case, with new CPU's even in the 160watt range, if the new Volta's are 200watts each you're still going to get using up to 560 watts max from the wall. Plenty of headroom mate.
And even if ... you went 160 watt CPU and 250 Watt dual gpu's you're still 660 watts / 800 watts.

Also i would suggest staying away from X299 and going with 8xxx series CPU's... looks like they will be cheaper, more power efficient :)

so when can I buy one :) ? I can pay for prototype price if it will take long.

By the way , expect that there will always be a 250-300 watts Graphic card , volta or not .. if they manage to lower the power they will take advantage of that and make a dual GPU on one card with the same GPU.

When Nvidia moves to HBM2 memory instead of GDDR5X , they will save alot of space on the PCB , it will be very easy for tem to add 2 GPUs, and given HBM2 memory is 32GB max and sits ontop of the GPU , you can expect a 240mm-280mm long 2 GPU cards anytime !

one more thing , try to make the cut out for the slots 1 slot each like normal cases incase one adds a single slot card in there ... you need the separation cover between the 2 slots.

like this

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016
When Nvidia moves to HBM2 memory instead of GDDR5X , they will save alot of space on the PCB , it will be very easy for tem to add 2 GPUs
when nvidia really wants to they can cram a lot onto a single pcb, the image below is an m10 with 32gb ddr5 and 4 (yes four) gpu 'chips' on the same card. So the problem isn't really the hbm2 (they have a gpu with hbm2 , the quadro gp100) but more likely the cost.

Last edited:

tokyovigilante

Cable Smoosher
Aug 26, 2016
Ohmagerd, just came here from the Cerberus thread, this is amazing! I'd probably only run one GPU and a X299 board, but goodness, the size! I've been quietly musing why no-one has ever put PCIe risers in and turned the GPU sideways, but here it is! Great work, hopefully this makes it to Melbourne soon!

Samer

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2017
when nvidia really wants to they can cram a lot onto a single pcb, the image below is an m10 with 32gb ddr5 and 4 (yes four) gpu 'chips' on the same card. So the problem isn't really the hbm2 (they have a gpu with hbm2 , the quadro gp100) but more likely the cost.

This Tesla needs less power per GPU , if you choose the top chip that consumes 250 watts each , you cant put 4 of them on the 280mm long board it is impossible ... you will need space for the power circuit as well for each GPU and would end with a 1000 watt card which is not allowed by the specs per solt (maximum allowed is 300W ) AMD go against the specs and some times release 500 watts per card , but this is the end of it , dont expect a 1000 watt card.

remember the Titan Z ?

here is the board

as you can see there is no place left to add anything. The VRM need alot of space as you can see. Thats because each GPU is 250 watts and need alot of power circuit space.

the goood news about the HBM2 Technology is that you dont need that extra space for those GDDR Ram chips .. this will make the dual GPU board alot shoerter and you maybe will see a 220mm-240mm long dual GPU board that will fit in tiny itx cases :)

cooling it would need water cooling if short. but since this case here can take 240 Radiator then I think if such single card comes it can be installed in this case with water cooling.

Thats why I like this case over the DAN CASE ... it can be water cooled ....

Actually I am planning on water cooling 2xGTX 1080 ti using my own water cooling desing. and I will use the upper place for the CPU water cooling radiator as well. but I need to see the dimensions and Luke is not giving me the inner dimensions yet :)

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016

I haven't been following this thread as much as I used to. Have you found any announcements of SLI capable Z370 MATX boards? I've only seen the ASRock Z370M Pro4, which doesn't have SLI?