Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Haha! Great minds think alike!

I just came up with a very similar idea today. Glad to see someone is implementing it!

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Still, they are custom. But, if you do sell this, include a custom SLI cable. Some people don't want to go through the pain.

Definitely. There will be a couple additional accessories available, so the base case price can be brought down to a minimum.
SLI cables for those behind team Green will fall into that category :)

I'm excited to see the results of your labor. This case is just gorgeous.
Thank you 3lfk1ng :) Just ploughing through it now :)

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Definitely. There will be a couple additional accessories available, so the base case price can be brought down to a minimum.
SLI cables for those behind team Green will fall into that category :)

Thank you 3lfk1ng :) Just ploughing through it now :)
Yeah, you should do like a configuration for accessories.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
A few small updates in the original thread, including some new photos :)

Build photos will most likely happen next week as I'm waiting for my side panels still to start performance testing.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016

So i modded the FSP 700 Watt Platinum PSU ... here's what I've come up with:
  • Painted black with high temp paint
  • Desoldered all old mustard cables and replaced with Silverstone extensions

The plugs are as follows:
  • 2 x 6+2PIN + 6PIN connectors (for GPUs)
  • 1 x 4PIN Molex
  • 1 x 8PIN (for CPU)
  • 2 x SATA
  • 1 x 24PIN ATX

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Luke, that looks terrific. Nice and clean.

With the 1U PSU being such a crucial component to this build, what are you plans (if any) for including a 1U with the case at retail?
Is there any talk of working with FSP to bring the necessary unit to market for use in this case?
Also, how are the noise levels being handled?

Reactions: LukeD

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016

• 1 x 4PIN Molex
  • 1 x 8PIN (for CPU)
  • 2 x SATA
  • 1 x 24PIN ATX
Amazing.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I am actually talking to FSP to provide these PSU's with the correct cable lengths. I'm not sure if they'll be able to make black cables, braid them or paint the PSU black though.
I think this PSU will be sold as an accessory as there are many other PSU options for this case. There is plenty of FlexATX and 1U PSU's in both modular and non-modular formats. Your choice of PSU would highly depend on the build you're trying to achieve (SLI/Crossfire or single GPU).

Here are,what I would say are my top pics for high end builds:

1U PSU:

For Single GPU builds: Modular:
Seasonic SS500L1U (500W - Gold)

For Dual GPU builds: Non-Modular:
FSP FSP700-80UEPB (700W - Platinum)

FlexATX:

For Single GPU builds:
FSP500-50FSPT (500W - Platinum)

For Dual GPU builds: Non-Modular:
FSP750-50FGGH1 (750W - Gold)
FSP850-50FGGH1 (850W - Gold)

These PSU's all perform extremely well under full load in terms of noise levels. Especially the Platinum ones.
I would suggest getting a 500W PSU at least, even for a single GPU build, because then the PSU will run cool enough to the point where the fans won't turn on at all.
E.g. when I was using the Seasonic modular PSU with 2 x 1080's and 6700k it was barely audible from 10 cm away.
The FSP 700W Platinum, the fans didn't even turn on even when the 6700k + dual 1080's were under 100% load.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Yeah guys, I've just been doing some testing tonight with the Kelvin S24, 6800k and 2 x 1080's (no side panels - I'm getting them tomorrow) and the PSU shouldn't be the biggest concern.
The fans on the radiator spin up much quicker before the PSU is anywhere near turning on its fans. And the fans on the radiator spin up only when I overclock the 6800k from 3.4ghz to 4.4ghz.

The hottest part there was the M.2 SSD ~ 48.2 c
Then the VRMs down the bottom (because this picture was taken with the overclock) ~ 47 c
As you can see the power supply at the top is nowhere near problematic.
This shot was taken after running Furmark on the GPU's and CPU Burner for 11 threads.
(Had to leave 1 thread for Furmark to run), cpu utilisation was around 98-100%
Room temp was 24c when testing.

P.S. Also the power supply sitting at the top helps dissipate the heat from the PSU better, because the PSU makes good contact with the top of the case.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
P.S. Also the power supply sitting at the top helps dissipate the heat from the PSU better, because the PSU makes good contact with the top of the case.

If budget allows, you could install thermal pads on the top to increase the amount of heat that can be dissipated there, but it sounds like there's not really a need for that :)

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
If budget allows, you could install thermal pads on the top to increase the amount of heat that can be dissipated there, but it sounds like there's not really a need for that :)

Would thermal pads conduct better than bare metal on metal? I have no experience with them but it seems counter intuitive to me - curious how it works!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
nice..apparently fsp 700w 1u psu is not too agressive on fan management ( generally following on temp and/or load)..:)

Still I'm amazed with your setup, it's art!!

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Would thermal pads conduct better than bare metal on metal? I have no experience with them but it seems counter intuitive to me - curious how it works!

Not in theory, but they conduct better than air. And there will certainly be a bit of air between the PSU and the case. On the other hand, just the bit of air between the PSU components and the wall (and potential isolating material) will probably have a worse effect. In the end, it's just a small additional thing that you can do if you want to pay attention to all the details, not something that will drastically improve noise.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Not in theory, but they conduct better than air. And there will certainly be a bit of air between the PSU and the case. On the other hand, just the bit of air between the PSU components and the wall (and potential isolating material) will probably have a worse effect. In the end, it's just a small additional thing that you can do if you want to pay attention to all the details, not something that will drastically improve noise.

Need to do some tests with thermal paste between the case body and PSU. :V

Reactions: iFreilicht

BlackRogue

Trash Compacter
Oct 22, 2016

• 1 x 4PIN Molex
  • 1 x 8PIN (for CPU)
  • 2 x SATA
  • 1 x 24PIN ATX

This, Sir, is a work of art and should be displayed for all to see :D

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Hahaha thanks BlackRouge ;)
I picked up the side panels on my lunch break today so tonight and the weekend will be a lot of testing :)

Reactions: Commissariat

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016

• 1 x 4PIN Molex
  • 1 x 8PIN (for CPU)
  • 2 x SATA
  • 1 x 24PIN ATX
A thumb up here! An impressive mod indeed!