Concept Hybrid Transformer One - Portable modular All-in-One system

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Be careful with compatibility though, I have read many failure on different forum threads with people trying to change/upgrade an LCD panel.

Thats why I want something with high quality for this connection because otherwise the complete concept is dead. It is not worth saving money here. So I already mailed with distec and asked some questions.

Also their controllers have DDC (display data channel). So you can control the LCD from Windows. I don't want cheap looking buttons on the case.

Last edited:

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Again, aesthetic is something personal and subjective that noone is allowed to criticize ! Both op and what I linked aren't notebook. Let's be honest, it is too thick to be considered a notebook, has no battery so is not considered as nomad .... It is a desktop computer with a keyboard and a foldable screen in place of its top panel, period.

What got me triggered was the "first in the world" that I couldn't allow as a moderator.

Now .... MODERATOR MODE OFF ...

I still think the "notebook" mode is not usable for serious use and the rotated screen + external keyboard doesn't solve anything as you'll have I/O and cables facing you.

It looks like aesthetic was the sole consideration. It is too sick too be serioysls considered as a notebook (and it has no battery). It is even thick than rugged industrial laptop that people hate. It takes more desktop space than an S4 + 60% keyboard + screen and I can predict worse cooling and quietness.

But above everything, I have a real concern about thermals. I might be mistaken but from the render the MB look like being flipped upside down, with heatsink being below it. If this is the case, I can see the CPU burning to its death.

This is how heatpipe coolers work:

And here are thermal performance regarding orientation (-90° being heat source above condenser):

As you can see, this is close to zero !

I fear that @Philairflow design has vents in the bottom and motherboard flipped. But even with motherboard oriented the good way, you'll be facing the lack of vents due to the keyboard.

Could you like industrial briefcase style or not, they are still superior in many ways:
  • They take less desktop space
  • They are easier to carry (handle and rugged)
  • They have better cooling
  • They provide a usable keyboard

Now ..... I like the vertical stand version and the second screen it provides.

So Noctua NH L9 is not a heatpipe cooler.

But anyways even I gave up on the bottom-up layout I made some research and a test. What was strange to me is the fact that nearly every GPU is mounted bottom up in desktop cases. And they work very well with heatpipe coolers.

So I read some articles. The effect you describe is complex and seems to be highly dependent on the ratio heat flux/heatpipe and on the filling of the heatpipe (mesh, groove, sintered metal etc). For example sintered metal heatpipes are not affected by orientation if heat flux/heatpipe is in its ratio.

http://www.coolingzone.com/index.php?read=522

So I assume that is why GPU coolers work very well if they have a good design. Thick enough heatpipes with the right inner technology and the cooler is more independent from orientation.

At last I carefully turned my PC aroundXD I rendered some pictures and CPU temps were not really different from face up orientation. When I have time I will do something like a prime test and plot graphs for the temps. Not now but when there is time for it.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
This looks so cool. A DTR that I can build up myself would be super fun. This one is a serious improvement in terms of handling and aesthetics. Would a Zotac 1080 Ti mini fit in there?

Thank you. The max GPU length in this design is around 220 mm. So Zotac 1080 Ti mini should fit yes. I will provide a picture of internal build-up soon.

Reactions: owliwar

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I know that Gigabyte uses sintered powder pipes on at least their windforce coolers.

Their effectiveness is dependent on several parameters, including diameter, length, etc. Testing is still the best thing to do ;-)

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018

So here is the promised picture of the internal build-up. A more detailed model is the next step.

Cooling should be pretty good now. I managed to integrate 2 x 90 mm fans for air-intake. They are mounted on an angle-shroud. So the fans can take air from the front and bottom. The increased intake area will provide higher airflow and less noise. The angle also will direct the airflow to the cpu cooler.

3 x 60 mm fans with 25 mm thickness on the backside will blow warm air out of the chassis. The airflow is lead directly over the gpu.

I think with this cooling setup quiet operation under load should be possible.

The box in the right corner is a placeholder for the HDPLEX, LCD Controller, SSD's and Sound.

Last edited:

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018

A picture of the backside. I really want the fanholes to stay open for maximized airflow. I also like the look.

Reactions: owliwar

Morris

Caliper Novice
Aug 9, 2017
Excellent work! This is damn near close to my dream machine. All it would need is is to use the CIntq Pro's screen for pen support (which, admittedly, is a niche in a niche).

To touch on an earlier point, a detachable keyboard wouldn't necessarily add much thickness if you use something already developed. Check out he Novena Heirloom, which uses the Bluetooth Thinkpad keyboard (scroll down a bit): https://www.crowdsupply.com/sutajio-kosagi/novena

It would you the flexibility to either use it like a laptop, or pop the keyboard out and spin the screen around in a more ergonomic way.

Reactions: Wantabiggercpu

Wantabiggercpu

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2018
Excellent work! This is damn near close to my dream machine. All it would need is is to use the CIntq Pro's screen for pen support (which, admittedly, is a niche in a niche).

To touch on an earlier point, a detachable keyboard wouldn't necessarily add much thickness if you use something already developed. Check out he Novena Heirloom, which uses the Bluetooth Thinkpad keyboard (scroll down a bit): https://www.crowdsupply.com/sutajio-kosagi/novena

It would you the flexibility to either use it like a laptop, or pop the keyboard out and spin the screen around in a more ergonomic way.

What an excellent idea! Please do it OP! The Thinkpad Compact has 13.5 mm thickness and it is a good keyboard. It should be doable and then the keyboard development is done for you. Only a good touchpad is needed. But there are enough on the market.

Under the keyboard could be vents for even better cooling in this mode!

And if this is done properly it could turn out to be not that niche because if it is not super expensive this will shit on high end gaming laptops and workstation in terms of price/performance ratio. Desktop hardware is just much cheaper.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Maybe something like this is an option. But there is no need to rush the keyboard question. This project will anyway take some time. And the keyboard is a very important part of the user experience. That is why I made it with an ergonomic angle and planned to build in a good keyboard that was tested thousand times like the keyboards of the dell precisions which I am using. And there seem to be issues with that Lenovo keyboard if you read some reviews and user ratings.

Tourning the screen should be an option when you use a real mechanical keyboard for hours. But I see your point and I will gladly discuss this further.

Last edited:

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
BTW I am pretty addicted to this project now. But this is free time stuff and my free time is rare. So I think I have to at least pause my Project Vertical for now. Two free time projects are for sure too much. No need to even try.

Last edited:

Wantabiggercpu

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2018
Maybe something like this is an option. But there is no need to ru

sh the keyboard question. This project will anyway take some time. And the keyboard is a very important part of the user experience. That is why I made it with an ergonomic angle and planned to build in a good keyboard that was tested thousand times like the keyboards of the dell precisions which I am using. And there seem to be issues with that Lenovo keyboard if you read some reviews and user ratings.

Tourning the screen should be an option when you use a real mechanical keyboard for hours. But I see your point and I will gladly discuss this further.

Makes sense to me.
BTW I am pretty addicted to this project now. But this is free time stuff and my free time is rare. So I think I have to at least pause my Project Vertical for now. Two free time projects are for sure too much. No need to even try.

Makes also sense to me. By running both, both would suffer. I also appreciate the decision. Your Vertical is cool but this one is way better.

Looks absolutely brilliant. This form factor might turn out to be the natural evolution of SFF: balancing between true portability (which laptops have) and customizability (which desktops have).

I agree. I have a Silverstone SFF. It is small but if I move it from my living room to another place I have to pack a monitor, keyboard and sound.

Wantabiggercpu

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2018

So here is the promised picture of the internal build-up. A more detailed model is the next step.

Cooling should be pretty good now. I managed to integrate 2 x 90 mm fans for air-intake. They are mounted on an angle-shroud. So the fans can take air from the front and bottom. The increased intake area will provide higher airflow and less noise. The angle also will direct the airflow to the cpu cooler.

3 x 60 mm fans with 25 mm thickness on the backside will blow warm air out of the chassis. The airflow is lead directly over the gpu.

I think with this cooling setup quiet operation under load should be possible.

The box in the right corner is a placeholder for the HDPLEX, LCD Controller, SSD's and Sound.

This cooling solution seems pretty potent when you think about the size of that base unit. What volume is this? 6 litre? What is the max cpu cooler height in this version?

I also like the open cutouts for the backside fans. It looks brute and if air-out is there dust filters are not needed and I dont think someone will try to push his fingers in there.

What I like is that with 60 mm fans all parts of the cooling should be available at Noctua:p

What is that gpu? The never released Vega NanoXD

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
Thanks. I agree with the keyboard, since they are not standardized (I like the dell notebook keyboards, they would be an option here).

But I disagree on the display. These are pretty standardized and it will be easy to replace. Just some screws. I like easy replacement so this will not be a glued toegether apple machineXD

Considering this case/machine setup won't likely be cheap and targeted at those who know and appreciate computers and its components, I suggest just go full blown mechanical keyboard. That way the keycaps are replaceable, fitting with the overall concept of a full-customizable notebook.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
This cooling solution seems pretty potent when you think about the size of that base unit. What volume is this? 6 litre? What is the max cpu cooler height in this version?

What is that gpu? The never released Vega NanoXD

It should be slightly under 7 litres now. I will calculate the exact new volume later.

CPU cooler height is 40 mm in the new model.

Yeah of course this is Vega Nano:p

Considering this case/machine setup won't likely be cheap and targeted at those who know and appreciate computers and its components, I suggest just go full blown mechanical keyboard. That way the keycaps are replaceable, fitting with the overall concept of a full-customizable notebook.

That is the way I am thinking about the keyboard question. I want the best thing in there that fits in terms of thickness. Currently 14 mm are reserved for the keyboard.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018

Some changes:

- Vents above the keyboard for better cooling

- A keyboard with a keypad

- I removed the feet on the backside and added a sag with small rubber feet. This way I won another 5 mm

While working on the cooling system I noticed something great:

With small AIO pumps that have removable fitting connections like the new Alphacool Eisbaer LT there will be watercooling in this case!!!

So all i would need is:

- A pump like this

- 120 mm radiator with 25 mm thickness

- 90 degree fittings

- A slim fan

In terms of internal layout I only have to switch sides for the fans and the electronic part. So fans/radiator will be on the right side infront of gpu. I will make a model and pictures.

The case can almost stay the same. But I have to add vent-holes on the right side of the mousepad for radiator air-in. I think that is an ok tradeoff for watercolling in here.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeroXLazer

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016

Some changes:

- Vents above the keyboard for better cooling

- A keyboard with a keypad

- I removed the feet on the backside and added a sag with small rubber feet. This way I won another 5 mm

While working on the cooling system I noticed something great:

With small AIO pumps that have removable fitting connections like the new Alphacool Eisbaer LT there will be watercooling in this case!!!

So all i would need is:

- A pump like this

- 120 mm radiator with 25 mm thickness

- 90 degree fittings

- A slim fan

In terms of internal layout I only have to switch sides for the fans and the electronic part. So fans/radiator will be on the right side infront of gpu. I will make a model and pictures.

The case can almost stay the same. But I have to add vent-holes on the right side of the mousepad for radiator air-in. I think that is an ok tradeoff for watercolling in here.
Now we need a 40% keyboard version.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Yeah smaller keyboards would be a nice option for some. maybe a 60%-70% version too. It could be presented as a modern day portable "keyputer" like the Apple IIc :)