Concept Hybrid Transformer One - Portable modular All-in-One system

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
- Sound: The new layout gives me the opportunity to integrate 3 inch speakers with 30 - 50 Watt RMS in the corners. This means way better and more powerful stereo sound. A powerfull little stereo amplifier board will power these speakers.
What height are chosen speaker drivers? I found some slim speakers in aliexpress:

AIYIMA 3 inch 8 ohm 15 W (16mm height)

GHXAMP 3 inch 3 ohm 20W (20mm height)

GHXAMP 3 Inch 4 ohm 20W (28mm height)

TONLEN 3 inch 8 ohm 15 W (15mm height)

Those slim AIYIMA 8 ohm 10W 100*45 (21mm height) i think is possible to mount on display part.
Then in monitor mode display won't cover the speakers

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This is a pretty amazing concept. We'll done!

One question: have you looked into using radial rather than axial fans? In particular, the Delta fan Nvidia uses on their reference GPUs (BFB0712HF) is readily available online, cheap, and produces a lot of airflow and static pressure at even at half speed (at which point it's rather quiet). Considering how noisy any effective 60 and 70mm fans are, and that you're planning on stuffing quite a few of them in there (speaks to me of airflow needs), could this be a better solution? It would require a rethinking of the airflow and fan placements in the case, but could potentially give you significantly better airflow with fewer fans.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
What height are chosen speaker drivers? I found some slim speakers in aliexpress:

AIYIMA 3 inch 8 ohm 15 W (16mm height)

GHXAMP 3 inch 3 ohm 20W (20mm height)

GHXAMP 3 Inch 4 ohm 20W (28mm height)

TONLEN 3 inch 8 ohm 15 W (15mm height)

Those slim AIYIMA 8 ohm 10W 100*45 (21mm height) i think is possible to mount on display part.
Then in monitor mode display won't cover the speakers

Thanks for this list! I already knew two of them. Each of the 3 inch speakers should fit. The max height of the speaker on the left side depends on the cooling solution. If you use 120 mm AIO then all of them should fit.

Speakers in the display part is difficult. There will be a max clearance of 9 mm. This is not enough for good speakers. Slightly covering them should not be a problem. A lot of notebooks have their speakers on the underside.

This is a pretty amazing concept. We'll done!

One question: have you looked into using radial rather than axial fans? In particular, the Delta fan Nvidia uses on their reference GPUs (BFB0712HF) is readily available online, cheap, and produces a lot of airflow and static pressure at even at half speed (at which point it's rather quiet). Considering how noisy any effective 60 and 70mm fans are, and that you're planning on stuffing quite a few of them in there (speaks to me of airflow needs), could this be a better solution? It would require a rethinking of the airflow and fan placements in the case, but could potentially give you significantly better airflow with fewer fans.

Thank you!

So I thought about radial fans but I don't like them. Axial fans have a way higher flow rate at the same rpm. So this means radial fans are louder. If you can use axial fans for blow out you should avoid radial fans.

Regarding airflow and noise: My idea is to use more fans and therefore lower their RPM. I want to use a small fan controll like Aquacomputer Quadro combined with Nocuta fans. This should enable silent operation even under load.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
So I thought about radial fans but I don't like them. Axial fans have a way higher flow rate at the same rpm. So this means radial fans are louder. If you can use axial fans for blow out you should avoid radial fans.

Regarding airflow and noise: My idea is to use more fans and therefore lower their RPM. I want to use a small fan controll like Aquacomputer Quadro combined with Nocuta fans. This should enable silent operation even under load.
While it's true that axial fans are mostly superior, smaller ones do tend to be both noisy and need very high RPMs to work well. Still, the unobstructed airflow of a 3000rpm Noctua 60x60x25mm fan is noticeably higher than the 3000rpm variant of the radial fan I mentioned, and likely far quieter. The question is how well they stand up against the airflow resistance of a tightly packed, small, oddly shaped case with no exit vents nearby. That's the main (perhaps only, outside of easily directed/focused airflow) of radial fans: immense static pressure, to the tune of 3-4x that of radial fans. If the lower static pressure of the Noctua axials mean that you have to run them faster to compensate for case airflow resistance, you might be better off with radials. Of course, that's something that's almost impossible to estimate, and I'm guessing it would require significant work to prototype and try out. Not to mention that the dual ball bearings of the radial fans is a lot noisier than the Noctuas' bearings.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Renders of the current version (45% finished):

Decisions were made on the soundsystem:

I will integrate a very high quality class d stereo amplifier (the one in the picture below is made in usa) and premium 1.5 inch full range speakers with 30 watt RMS like the ones you see below (examples from classdaudio and wavecor):

Last edited:

Wantabiggercpu

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2018
Renders of the current version (45% finished):

Decisions were made on the soundsystem:

I will integrate a very high quality class d stereo amplifier (the one in the picture below is made in usa) and premium 1.5 inch full range speakers with 30 watt RMS like the ones you see below (examples from classdaudio and wavecor):

This project is so exciting. Keep on. Can you already estimate a price point for this machine?

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
This project is so exciting. Keep on. Can you already estimate a price point for this machine?
No, but I think it will be very competitive vs High End gaming notebooks. For the same price point we should get better performance with desktop components. And in addition it should have lower system noise, is easy to repair, upgradable and have better cooling performance.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
I'm following, very interested. Do you need help with the first prototype?

As you see in the following pictures I am still working on design and buildup. So there is still a long way to go till the first prototype. In the last stage there will most likely also be some professional co-engineering (for manufacturing, custom LCD Controller, custom Displayport cable and so on) because this project is more complex than normal cases and I will need some help. Also my time is very limited at the moment.

But thank you for your offer I will note it and maybe come back to you. For example with the custom displayport cable since you seem to be an expert in this field;)

Last edited:

Hadookaan

Case Bender
New User
Oct 6, 2018
This Is probably the best thing I seen so far, I was looking for something like this, that would be portable, as in a laptop, but with a Laptop I constantly have to worry about thermals and the longevity of the components, and tweaking, etc, and not to mention the cost of high end laptop,
but this I can open it up and replace fix/upgrade, anything if it goes wrong like a desktop, which is perfect for me and many other people here.

I see a YouTube video of the Slabtop ages ago, which someone already posted here, and there have been no updates on that, but your design is much better with the options of having what 17in display you want, IE 60/120/144hz etc, & resolutions to suit.

But one thing I want to know, so its comes as a empty case, no components, and would we have to find the LCD display our self's along with a controller for the LCD or are you going to supply this? (plus keep up your awesome work)

Last edited:

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
This is an amazing project. The fact that you also got aio inside 7-8 L chasis is pushing further even compared to other sff pcs in this forum.

Any chance this could fit a micro atx board? Asking cuz a friend would be interesting in sticking a x399m in this