Concept Premium wooden ITX Case - 8.5L

Bozhidar Kobakov

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 27, 2019
Okay so basically the idea came to me since I travel a lot and I want to design an ITX case similar in volume and layout to the popular Ghost S1 and Dan Case A4. The thing is I HAVE NEVER BUILT A PC BEFORE and all the knowledge I have about everything is from youtube videos, reddit/sffpc and SFF.Network
I have a lot of questions about how the motherboard, PSU and GPU mounting and sizes. I started using CAD software (SketchUp) just a week ago trying to design a case of my own so I basically have very little experience in CAD design as well. I want it to be an wooden 8L or 9L in volume. I know it is possible since I saw this https://pcpartpicker.com/b/477WGX
I want to make a custom case because:
1. If you hear on what laptop I am gaming, using photoshop and premiere on the last 4 years you will be in tears:
CPU: Intel Core I5-3230M 2.6 GHz DUAL CORE !!!!
GPU: GeForce 710M 2GB of VRAM worse then MX150 RAM: 8GB of DDR3 Memory
Storage: 750GB 5400 RPM HDD
Please you know what pain it is when you see these kinds of specs....
2. it is wayy more expensive for me to buy an ITX case with the form factor of the A4 or S1 even the Sentry.
I know people will say you can get GEEEK A50 - costs 150$ to ship to my country
SG13 - 13L way to bulky for me
METIS - 13L way to bulky for me
NODE 202 - I don't like console style cases I can't fit them in a duffle for example and for factor is just not appealing to me.

If anyone is interested or willing to help me we can exchange contacts I did some renders in SketchUp but I need a lot of help with the design and functionality of the case. Thank you.
Renders

Last edited:
Reactions: NateDawg72

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
Well, first things first. I applaud your efforts despite having never built a case before. I would note that wood tends to trap heat and also wood is heavy. So, unless this is going to be open air, which from your pictures show that it is, you should be fine there.

Having said that, why are you putting the motherboard in upside down? The pci express slot should be near the bottom of the case, depending on how you are going to mount the graphics card, as you said you would be using this for gaming and photoshop. also, unless you plan on using a riser cable/card you will not be able to mount a graphics card with your current orientation. You also need a cutout for the i/o shield.

Do some more research on case design. The current design you have needs a lot more work.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Well, first things first. I applaud your efforts despite having never built a case before. I would note that wood tends to trap heat and also wood is heavy. So, unless this is going to be open air, which from your pictures show that it is, you should be fine there.

Having said that, why are you putting the motherboard in upside down? The pci express slot should be near the bottom of the case, depending on how you are going to mount the graphics card, as you said you would be using this for gaming and photoshop. also, unless you plan on using a riser cable/card you will not be able to mount a graphics card with your current orientation. You also need a cutout for the i/o shield.

Do some more research on case design. The current design you have needs a lot more work.

I would disagree, the design is pretty close to functional.

Milling a outer shell out of a single piece of nice hardwood would be expensive.
Make the panels thinner and add seperations, and come up with a joining system. (I think brass bolts would look amazing!)
Add vents, you'll need them.
All the while, keep tooling limitations in mind.

Best of luck!

Reactions: NateDawg72

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
I would disagree, the design is pretty close to functional.

Milling a outer shell out of a single piece of nice hardwood would be expensive.
Make the panels thinner and add seperations, and come up with a joining system. (I think brass bolts would look amazing!)
Add vents, you'll need them.
All the while, keep tooling limitations in mind.

Best of luck!

@Bozhidar Kobakov needs vents and an I/O shield cutout. If he's using a graphics card(which he likely will) he will have to use a pci-e extender cable as the motherboard is too close to the top of the case for a card to be directly connected to the motherboard.

Reactions: Windfall