Smallest Mini - ITX Case Design

NCASE OR CUSTOM

• Total voters

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
I changed it to be smaller Diagonal from end of GPU up to motherboard then straight

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
I'm thinking about getting it manufactured from Lian-Li.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Depending on the frame design then, this may not work:

The keepout zone has to be free of bends, plus the metal will be 1-2mm thick so you can't have the edge of the keepout zone right up against the edge of the case like in the model.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Depending on the frame design then, this may not work:

The keepout zone has to be free of bends, plus the metal will be 1-2mm thick so you can't have the edge of the keepout zone right up against the edge of the case like in the model.
I updated the build to use an SFX L PSU and there is space between the keepout area

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
SketchUp protip: you should either move the entire model up a bit or turn off shadows so part of the model isn't below the groundplane.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Looking at Poll and 5 Votes to 0 for a custom case. I wonder if Necere voted... If he did,...

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Looking at Poll and 5 Votes to 0 for a custom case. I wonder if Necere voted... If he did,...
Lol... no, I did not vote.

This forum has a high proportion of people who design their own cases, or are at least interested in seeing custom case builds, so it's not much of a surprise the custom option is winning by a landslide. It's the more interesting option vs. just buying an off-the-shelf case.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Lol... no, I did not vote.

This forum has a high proportion of people who design their own cases, or are at least interested in seeing custom case builds, so it's not much of a surprise the custom option is winning by a landslide. It's the more interesting option vs. just buying an off-the-shelf case.
So, what are you going to vote for? Huh, Huh...

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
So, what are you going to vote for? Huh, Huh...
As a rule, I try to avoid getting involved in discussions (or polls) where what I say (or vote for) could be construed as promoting my work -- even if it's anonymous. I will occasionally step in to explain certain design choices, but I always try to present things in a balanced way. I don't like it when people/companies promote their own products, so why would I do it myself? I feel like, if the product is any good, people will spread that message of their own accord.

Reactions: Phuncz

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
As a rule, I try to avoid getting involved in discussions (or polls) where what I say (or vote for) could be construed as promoting my work -- even if it's anonymous. I will occasionally step in to explain certain design choices, but I always try to present things in a balanced way. I don't like it when people/companies promote their own products, so why would I do it myself? I feel like, if the product is any good, people will spread that message of their own accord.
Okay and I really like the NCASE M1 and nice job on it. How did you put the circles for screws, not the threads in SketchUp before importing to SolidWorks.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Not sure what you're asking exactly. I do screw holes in Sketchup by using the circle tool on a surface (of the nominal thread diameter, e.g., 3mm for M3), and extrude it into a hole using the push-pull tool.

As for importing to SolidWorks, we actually rebuild the model from the ground up using the Sketchup model as a reference, since SW has its own way of doing things that includes the whole process starting from a flat sheet of metal, adding the cuts, and bending. If you just tried importing from SU, you don't get any of that, and it would probably give you a model with a bunch of problems (if it would even work at all).

Reactions: Phuncz

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Not sure what you're asking exactly. I do screw holes in Sketchup by using the circle tool on a surface (of the nominal thread diameter, e.g., 3mm for M3), and extrude it into a hole using the push-pull tool.

As for importing to SolidWorks, we actually rebuild the model from the ground up using the Sketchup model as a reference, since SW has its own way of doing things that includes the whole process starting from a flat sheet of metal, adding the cuts, and bending. If you just tried importing from SU, you don't get any of that, and it would probably give you a model with a bunch of problems (if it would even work at all).
I know you have to build the SolidWorks model up and okay thanks for the SketchUp.

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
It may be bigger but no extra latency from riser.
A PCIe riser will not add any link latency. And if you choose a high quality riser (e.g. 3M, HDPlex, Adexelec) then you will also not have problems with PCIe link speed or external interference.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
A PCIe riser will not add any link latency. And if you choose a high quality riser (e.g. 3M, HDPlex, Adexelec) then you will also not have problems with PCIe link speed or external interference.
There's always going to be latency, maybe very little but some.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
There's always going to be latency, maybe very little but some.
There is no protocol translation or buffering involved, any latency will be entirely due to the increased length of the signal traces. For a 300mm length riser, the electrical latency will be on the order of 1 nanosecond.