Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
That's not bad. I'm thinking of just getting a case with a built in kickstand though. I can just put the iPad under my main monitor or sit it on top of my C-1 when I need more height.

kogepathic

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017
Edit:
Figure I'll drop my iPad monitor album in here since that display was mentioned earlier.

Not bad! But you've got to factor in the cost of the iPad chassis + digitizer, which I find normally will run you around $15-20 for the chassis, and $8-10 for the digitizer. Plus you have to be mindful of customs, since most of the chassis are considered "knock off" and customs just loves to confiscate them for trademark infringement (happened several times...)

Another option is to laser cut an enclosure:

Glue the pieces together with CA or epoxy and then use double sided tape to hold the LCD. I got a sheet of 7 enclosures cut at once and it cost me 70 EUR (so around 10 EUR each case). It's 25mm thick. I have the original design files if anyone else is interested in cutting their own case!

If anyone lives in the EU and wants a case, send me a PM. I have 3 extra cases and would sell them at cost + shipping. Shipping outside the EU will not be economical due to the size/weight of the pieces.

I'm using the abusemark adapter, but you can also find HDMI adapters on AliExpress for the LCD. They run around $35 USD, however they're 12V powered not 5V, so USB power is not possible.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4K-...QX1-SPA1-SPAV-SPC1-2048x1536/32765195617.html

If you want higher resolution, a great panel is the Sharp LQ156D1JX01. IGZO 4K in 15.6" and you can buy it for around $100 USD from AliExpress. If you want matte, then go for the Sharp LQ156D1JW04, although the price is a bit higher around $130 USD. Controllers for this display are a problem though, no one has a cheap controller/adapter available yet. Don't go for the AUO/Samsung/LG 15.6" "4K" panels. They're pentile (RGBW), 48Hz refresh, and utter garbage. But they are cheap, so if the price seems too good, it's because the panel is trash.

I should soon be receiving samples of a UHD controller for the Sharp from a Chinese manufacturer. HDMI and DisplayPort input (supposedly with MST support, to be verified). Cost is around $130 each though, so it's less of play money and more serious investment ($130 LCD + $130 controller). I'll update once I've tested it and confirmed it works.

The iPad display can be done for quite cheap: $25 LCD + $35 abusemark/ali adapter + $12 laser cut case. However it won't offer as much protection to the LCD as putting it inside an iPad chassis + digitizer.

Last edited:

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Powering a 12V device from USB is easy if it doesn't eat more than 800 mA -- that's 9.6W which is plentiful for an iPad monitor, someone else needs to look up the numbers on the 15" panel but it ought to be enough. Search eBay for usb 5v up 12v, there are plenty for eg http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-to-DC...858514?hash=item3ae4de0452:g:GzQAAOSw5cRZH5ln. Some claim 1.2A but the numbers don't add up, if you draw 5V 2.1A that is 10.5W then there's the conversion loss then 9.6W is realistic, more than that is not.

Last edited:
Reactions: VegetableStu

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
That's pretty neat @kogepathic! I actually just did my mod today, well 90% of it anyways. I'm still waiting on a mini DP cable to get here and then I'll be able to test everyone to make sure I didn't break anything. I like your enclosure, but I really wanted to build everything in the iPad for the sake of being able to use 3rd party cases and such. I'll def post pics here later this week with my results.

kogepathic

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017
Some claim 1.2A but the numbers don't add up, if you draw 5V 2.1A that is 10.5W then there's the conversion loss then 9.6W is realistic, more than that is not.

I would be very surprised if you can find a buck boost converter from 5V to 12V that's 90% efficient. Powering the abusemark adapter is hard enough already, at full brightness the panel draws around 1.5A (7.5W) and that's already too much for most PC USB ports. Lowering the brightness helps, but it's still hit-and-miss when it comes to powering from conventional ports. I don't have the HDMI adapter myself, so I can't say if the power consumption is similar with that one.

I had a good chat with the abusemark guy, the LCD backlight driver can actually accept much higher input voltages (up to 24V), the issue is the voltage regulator supplying 3.3V to the STM32/panel, has a maximum input of 5.5V. If you replaced that, you could power the device from a 2S lithium battery directly. It can't be powered from a 1S because 4.2V is below in the minimum input voltage of the backlight drivers. Don't ask me how Apple is doing it in the iPad, since they have 3 lithium cells in parallel (so, 4.2V pack voltage). They must be using a backlight driver with a lower minimum input voltage.

He also mentioned that the HDMI adapter doesn't drive the backlight strings individually, so if there's any impedance mismatch between the strings, you're going to end up with a panel which is not evenly lit.

Reactions: Biowarejak

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
Fun fact about the new iPad Pro 9.7" display is that it is 120Hz and supports adaptive sync. Could be a nice selection for a portable gaming PC.

We were thinking the same thing today then. LOL

You might be able to mitigate the funds for these new iPad Pros if you buy them from AT&T (pay by month)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I was more thinking of waiting for the replacement panels to hit the market. I'd feel bad scrapping the rest of the unit to only get the screen. Nice to know that the new 12.9 panel is similar.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
Seems we all have watch the new ltt video today. I'm pretty sure getting one of those displays will cost a lot as well as finding a control board. Also, it is going to be super hard to max a game out at 4k resolution and hit 120 fps. Obviously you could turn the resolution or textures down, but I felt like it should be pointed out.

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
Since I have a Macbook Pro I can hook right into it from TB3 to Lightning Cable.

I wonder how I could use it as monitor though as a full functioning iPad. I think its possible with a Hackintosh

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Since I have a Macbook Pro I can hook right into it from TB3 to Lightning Cable.

I wonder how I could use it as monitor though as a full functioning iPad. I think its possible with a Hackintosh

It's a USB3 signal through that cable. Also not possible to have a target display mode for the iPads without 3rd party apps like Astropad or duet display, unless Apple opens an API for that

kogepathic

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017
Fun fact about the new iPad Pro 9.7" display is that it is 120Hz and supports adaptive sync. Could be a nice selection for a portable gaming PC.

Do you mean the 10.5" iPad Pro? I can't find any new 9.7" model listed on iFixIt.

For the 10.5" model, I cannot see the panel model number in any of the teardown photos, and it's using different connectors from previous panels. Someone would have to make an adapter for it after first getting the datasheet.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
One thing I haven't seen mentioned much.

Since the monitor panel is so thin, why no just place it on side panel behind the mother board.
A NCase M1 can take a 14 inch 16:9 panel, or 15 inch 16:10 for instance.
And you could have the controller and all that other stuff inside the case

haha....I guess you could sum this up as how to turn your sff case into an AIO PC.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I've seen it done.
A guy near me at quakecon 2015 used the normal iPad 3 panel and mounted it with aluminum L bars (not sure of the proper name)
He also had dual 240's and was using full cover Mobo and GPU blocks.
maybe a res too.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
Wouldn't it be dangerous to not have a panel of glass to cover up the display screen. Seems very easy to damage it that way.