Discussion Considering the XBOX Series S as an alternative portable PC

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
While the Playstation 5 and the Xbox Series X are the best when it comes to "next gen gaming", the Xbox Series S is negated due to its lack of performance and features. But, as an Xbox Series S owner, I would like to discuss a few thoughts I have collected over these few months:
While the Xbox Series S is cheaper by 200$ compared to the Xbox Series X, it is not value like other people say it is. If they mean by "value" in the terms that the console is cheap, then yes, its value. But in a price to performance ratio, it isn't. The Series X comes with 52 RDNA 2 SCUs for 500$, while the Series S comes with 20 SCUs for 300$. Using some simple math, in the Series X you are paying ~9.61¢ per SCU, while in the Series S you are paying 15$ per SCU. So, if it were to be value, the Series S should should have been priced at ~192$. Keep in mind with this price, we have not removed the optical drive. So lets assume that removing the optical drive would cost around 12$. Then in the case the Series S should have retailed for 180$. Nothing compared to the actual MSRP of this console.
To conclude, if you find yourself wanting to purchase a Series S, then I strongly recommend purchasing this console either used, or on a sale. Its price to performance ratio is not worth it, unless you are comparing this to a PC. That's where the perspective changes.
I purchased this console because I am saving money to purchase a higher performant gaming laptop (I am frequent flyer) No PC in terms of performance would have been possible to build in a 300$ price range (and I have actually bought this console on EBay for 220!) This console is very portable, and I have taken it on multiple occasions across the globe. I also don't do any other task I would need a PC for; I don't program (not yet) nor video/photo edit (not yet) so, I mostly watch YouTube videos and browse the internet. If you are one of those people, purchase the Series S instead of a PC (on sale of course) as its price to performance cannot be matched to a conventional personal computer nor laptop.
I would also like to touch on refresh rates, and screen resolution. I want to come clean. When I first experienced a 144 hertz monitor, I didn't like it at all. I play Halo Infinite competitively, so motion blur is always turned off, and it was awful. I felt motion sick, and felt like throwing up. In my opinion, high refresh rate gaming is over-rated. The Series S can do 120fps, and I have tried it on Halo Infinite, the difference is not that big.
High resolution gaming is also over-rated. Now that I think about it, I do come from integrated Vega graphics, so I learned to control my desires for high resolution gaming and it is paying off. I don't mind playing on my 27in, 1080p monitor from a distance of two, two and a half feet. And when I do want to play on the TV, the well over 5 to 6 feet of distance really makes it unnoticeable when I switch from 1080p to 4k. So, all I can say is, if you like high refresh rate, the Series S can do it. If you like higher resolution gaming, then maybe the Series S isn't for you. But, if you are a person like me, purchase the Series S, it is worth it (on a discount of course) ;)

Reactions: Phuncz