Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Stick two side-by-side. Folds flat for transport!

This is basically the idea I had. Get two monitors that aren't huuuuge (which, smaller displays are practically at a premium these days) and put them together on a dual-monitor VESA arm. You can fold them "into" each other for transport and carry them by the arm. You might not be able to pack them away into some kind of luggage, but they shouldn't be super hard for most folks to carry in one hand. Just make sure you'll have a desk/table you can clamp onto.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Sometime in the future I'm thinking of getting a portable LCD monitor so I can use with a near uSFF system (< 4 liters) that can be used for gaming and programming, and take it with me wherever there is public Wi-Fi available. The monitor size shouldn't be too huge, anything under 20 inches.

As for resolution, I guess it depends. 15" I could probably do with 1366x768, but also going 900p or 1080p would be an option too. I have only looked at a few portable monitors so far. The GAEMS m155 looks nice but what other monitors would provide a similar or better value?

I made my last post without having read your OP. There are hacks out there (and even some discussion about it here on the forums) about turning laptop panels into portable monitors. I want to say your estimated cost without naming any specific parts is under about $200 US, which is probably a little less than what you'll look at for most portable-oriented displays. You can pick from any size laptop display you can find the panel for, I mostly looked at 17.3" panels when I was thinking about the project but there's obviously 15.6" panels and smaller ones.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I might go with laptop monitors only if I can't find a good value for a commercial monitor designed for portable use. For those monitors that have a USB-C input only, would a USB-C to DisplayPort cable work with discrete graphics cards?

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
I might go with laptop monitors only if I can't find a good value for a commercial monitor designed for portable use. For those monitors that have a USB-C input only, would a USB-C to DisplayPort cable work with discrete graphics cards?
it doesn't work backwards because display port doesnt provide the power needed for the monitor. also there are no dp and power to usb c adapters that I have seen.
a gtx 1080ti msi lightning with USB C was just announced though.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
BUT ITS STILL stupid arse USB-Type C .... which I have no problem with by itself......but I can't for the love of ..find a an adapter for hdmi dvi or display port to usb type c. so you could connect it straight to the gpu.

It looks like this monitor is power by DisplayLink as they offer an adapter to USB-A. So no native display signal involved, neither DP nor HDMI.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
It looks like this monitor is power by DisplayLink as they offer an adapter to USB-A. So no native display signal involved, neither DP nor HDMI.
Their website says hybrid, native display USB type C, and can use usb A to usb C in which case it uses the onboard conversion.

in the accessories area it says Diplay Port over USB type C
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MB16AC/specifications/

Edit:
Also a bit off topic,
About the GTX 1080ti from MSI that will be the first GPU with usb type c port that I mentioned earlier.
After seeing a few Computex videos of It , I realized that it is almost as thick as a 3 slot card, so it won't fit in many SFF cases. The smallest I could find that WOULD fit it is the Ncase M1.

Last edited:

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Thank you for finding an aliexpress reseller of Fushilang https://shop57714512.world.taobao.com/ these are really interesting monitors, the top six on the page I just linked have tripod mount screws so they are really well suited for travel.
Damn, the 4k ones are quite expensive in relation to the 1080p ones. And I don't see info on latency.

Edit: I found this chinese reseller, http://www.chinaglobalmall.com/products/543054847061 that also has english
Look at the bottom.

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
13.3", 2560x1440, 72% colour space(?? unspecified), 60Hz HDMI IPS LED...
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested o_o but now's the question of how legit are the screens being sold there

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
13.3", 2560x1440, 72% colour space(?? unspecified), 60Hz HDMI IPS LED...
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested o_o but now's the question of how legit are the screens being sold there
I think they are basically DIY screens that are being produced at large. the 4k ones are damn impressive because the controller needs to be able to handle it and there not that many custom ones around, but considering this. The response time is a huge concern if you play video games. they market them for ps3 and what not but I am skeptical.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Yes, they are just the panels + drivers + a CNC'd a case. Still, what else do you need a great travel monitor.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Yes, they are just the panels + drivers + a CNC'd a case. Still, what else do you need a great travel monitor.
well, thinner.
As much as I love the port selection, the thickness plays a huge factor for a portable monitor. I wouldnt mind if it was asymetric to save volume.

Also, I am not brave enough to order from a website without reviews.

Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
The taobao link has user reviews (in chinese), gonna spend a bit of time reading them...

非常不错,这台显示器显然是掌柜精心设计制作的产品,无论是产品本身还是附送的小配件都显示了这一点。

Really not bad, looks like the seller did design this with much care, and it shows both on the quality of the display and the accessories that come with it

因为前两天出差在外今天中午才拿到,没来得及用i1 Pro做色彩管理,所以在色彩表现上暂时不能给出客观评价,初步印象挺好。明天抽时间做下测试并贴出校色报告。

It came too late for me to test for colours with i1 Pro though, so I can't comment on the colour quality for now, but they're kinda nice out of the box. I'll be testing it tomorrow and I'll get back by then

提几个建议: some suggestions:

1、输入的HDMI接口太多了,保留两个足矣
Too many HDMI Ports. Two is enough. (ed: store page says you can split to 4 screens, so 4 HDMI-ins should be a quick way to implement that.)

2、有没有可能再做薄一些?现在稍显厚
Can it be thinner? It's a bit too thick

3、支架设计思路不错,遗憾的是凹槽进深不够,再多5MM就好了
(当然显示器如果能再薄5MM也行)
The stand is nice, but the "jaw" isn't deep enough. 5mm more should hold it better
(of couse it'd be okay if the display's 5mm thinner)

祝掌柜的生意兴隆,财源广进!
All the best to the seller!

可以 就是菜单太小了 以及按键都在后面 操作有点不方便 现在用的普通ps4 颜色比我本来的显示器更艳一些

It's okay, but the menu is too small. And the buttons are all at the back, feels awkward getting to them. On a regular PS4, the colours are brighter/better than the other one I was using

店家实诚,能耐心处理遇到的相关问题,配套设备齐全,价格合理。
Honest seller, patient when dealing with questions, nothing missing for the feature the display supports, reasonable price.

(gonna pause for a while; two more text walls to go through)

EDIT:

之前是买了13寸的2k版本 因为作为分屏来说实在太小,而且因为显卡问题会闪屏,所以才换了17寸的
I previously got the 13" 2K model, but it's too small for work (ed: not sure if referring to overall size or resolution or both), and it flickers (ed: could mean flicker or off-and-on) due to GPU issues (ed: D:). I switched it with the 17" 4K instead.

4k用了几天感觉有几点 some points after a while of using the display:

第一 居然后背没有开孔,不能上摆臂支架,连13寸的都有居然17的没有
Firstly it doesn't come with VESA or any back mount points, so I couldn't use it on an arm. It's even there on the 13", so why not the 17"?

第二 就是漏光,不过问题不大,就是有个位置特别碍眼
Secondly is some light leaks, but it isn't too bad unless you see it from an extreme angle

第三 就是屏幕是磨砂的,十分影响,本来屏幕颗粒是十分细腻的,就是磨砂看上去糟蹋了这个,真是有点遗憾。
Thirdly it came with a scratch. The display looks really well designed, only to be put down by that flaw. A small shame it is. (ed: no mention if it's on the case or the screen(!))

优点还是有的,细腻,颜色艳丽,轻巧,屏幕都是可以根据显卡上的设置直接在电脑添
There're upsides. Attention to detail, colour vibrancy, compact. Can be plugged directly to a PC video source (ed: I guess?? are most companies used to marketing monitors strictly for consoles?)

这个确实比较方便,主要还是这个尺寸作为分屏对于我开说刚好。还算比较满意!
It's definitely more convenient, and the main selling point is that the display's of the right size for me. I'm still happy with it!

Last edited:

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Thank you for the translation work @VegetableStu

Do you know if this taobao reseller would be a good start? you just place the taobao link and they handle purchase and DHL shipping.
https://taobaofocus.com/faq

I have never even heard of taobao up until this point so any common knowledge you guys have is quite appreciated.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Might be worth noting that I was talking to a seller about using a 17.3" 4K LCD and their controller to diy my own display, and he informed me that due to some tech I can't remember the name of it wouldn't work with Nvidia GPU's.
I'll try to find the messages but for now I'm just dropping this reply.
The 1080/ 1440 screens worked though, iirc.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I misremembered slightly, some will work, some won't, just make sure before you buy.

Edit:
Figure I'll drop my iPad monitor album in here since that display was mentioned earlier.

Last edited: