Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
ummmm. if you look at our previous discussions you will see that there is a problem with usb type c.

Only one usb type C graphic card has been announced.
The is no adapter that you can attach to current gpus so they can output to usb type c .

You CAN use a usb type c port from the motherboard but it would use display link (which isnt direct input), as opposed to dp-over-usb type c which is a bonafide dsiplay port + power cable in the shape of one usb type -c cable.

Edit:

Basically.
If you want to use usb type C.
You need to buy the revised MSI GTX 1080ti gaming x with usb type c (the current one doesnt have it)
(almost a 3 slot card which won't enter most SFF builds)
799 GBP over
+
The new Asus monitor, because it is one of the only ones that does accept dp-over usb type c.
250 GBP

So you either go for that expensive combo,
Or you stick to existing tech like the Fushilang monitors from China, or the PackPixel ipad screen that uses DP like a regular monitor and usb for power, or a DIY monitor, if you want a proper display that can show you the boot screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
i think everything should be thunderbolt 3 by now. its just convenient
Type C != Thunderbolt.
There are three ways a Type C port can connect to a monitor:
- Over USB 3.1/3.1 and DisplayLink (basically a USB connected ultra-low-end GPU). DisplayLink is something that should be avoided at all costs if you like things such as system stability and your actual GPU working properly.
- Over DisplayPort Alternate Mode. This basically turns the Type-C port into a DisplayPort output, but with power delivery capability
- Over Thunderbolt Alternate Mode. This is similar to DP Alternate Mode, but while a DP stream is used to carry the image, it is encapsualted within the Thunderbolt transport so also carries data and allows for Thunderbolt passthrough to other devices in a chain.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Yeah that's the EXACT problem with Type-C now. It's great they're attempting to replace everything, but you have things like what @EdZ described. The worst part of the problem is at the cables: the cables (oh the cables) are rated for different connections as well!!!

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
It's less a problem with the port itself, and more a problem with manufacturers being absolutely abysmally awful at actually labelling what their ports do. It's been several years and one massive compatibility clusterf*ck (the initial generation of Eyefinity cards that required some but not all ports to use active adapters) and both Nvidia and AMD still fail to properly label their DP ports as DP++, and consequently we still have people thinking they need active DP-DVI or DP-HDMI adapters, or demanding the presence of redundant DVI or HDMI ports because they don't know that their cards are already capable of driving that directly through the DP++ ports.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Received a parts-only iPad just yesterday, and dammit I haven't got past Step "1". I've only a mini oven (for meals) and I'm tempted to use it ._.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Is that for debonding the screen? One trick is to get one of those cheap 'neck warmer' cushions (usually filled with dessicated rice or some other grain), heat that up and place it around the edge of the screen. This warms up the glue with minimal heating of the LCD panel itself.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
Just find a friend with a hairdryer. I used my mom's and it worked fine. Just be patient with the glue. It took me about 15 min to finally get it off.

Reactions: VegetableStu

kogepathic

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017
Well I finally got time to test the 4K LCD:

The controller board I ordered from China (Model: R9511 from Clientop) is really fantastic.
  • 2 HDMI inputs
  • 1 DisplayPort 1.2 (MST support claimed, but I can't test because I have only Intel HD4000 without MST support)
  • wired control board (strangely incomplete, missing the up/down keys required to operate the OSD. EDIT: the keys are there, just mislabeled)
  • IR remote (thankfully with all the necessary keys to operate the OSD)
Does perfect scaling if you input 1080p, 4K also works although my laptop can only manage 4K@30.

Major PITA to order and import though, would be so nice if they opened up an AliExpress store...

However, I do have to advise against buying a matte panel. I got the LQ156D1JW04 which is matte, but the screen door effect is really, really bad. You can't see it in this picture as the original film is still on the display, and it's impossible to photograph since it's so subtle. The matte screen is great since there's no glare, but the picture quality really suffers. I'd recommend the LQ156D1JX01 (gloss) instead. As a bonus, the JX01 is cheaper than the JW04 panel ($95 versus $130).

Now to design and cut a case...

Rant: If only I had bought a GTX 1060 sooner...

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
The lapdock is USB, not thunderbolt. Even so, there's no anecdotes (from googling) of anyone plugging it to a PC (they explicitly said it's deisgned for windows phones), so...