"OGRE-250" .67L OCuLink eGpu module, using HDPlex GAN 250w

Alucard

Trash Compacter
Nov 24, 2018
My tests are from testing in Timespy with the b660i board and comparing m.2->Oculink performance with x16 performance baselines, where I had some results within margin of error. However there are a few tests done by other sites which are good starting points also:

General observations:
1) Lower tier (slower) cards benefit less from more pci bandwidth
2) The higher the resolution (the lower the FPS) the less impact of bandwidth

Scaling for 5700xt:
With a weaker card (up to ~RTX 2080) there is potentially less than 1% loss between Gen 3.0 x8/x16

Scaling for a 3080:
4.0x4 and 3.0x8 within ~4% of Gen 4.0x16 and within ~3% of Gen 3.0x16.

Scaling for a 4090:
Here we have 4.0x4 and 3.0x8 within ~6% of 4.0x16.
Thank you but I was specifically asking about Gen 3.0 x4 vs x16. (Deskmini x300/RX 6650XT)

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Thank you but I was specifically asking about Gen 3.0 x4 vs x16. (Deskmini x300/RX 6650XT)

Somewhat limited data but I do have something for you:

Here is the best result timespy gfx score recorded on the x300 with 5700g, ddr4000, 3060ti, using Gen 3.0 x4 Oculink: 12,415

On a 13600K ITX system with DDR5 6600, I recorded timespy gfx scores of 12,700 average (with both Gen 3.0 and 4.0, virtually indistinguishable).

12,415/12,700= 97.7%

Timespy may not be the best indicator of actual gaming performance but I don't have any other benchmarks to reference

Reactions: Alucard

Alucard

Trash Compacter
Nov 24, 2018
Somewhat limited data but I do have something for you:

Here is the best result timespy gfx score recorded on the x300 with 5700g, ddr4000, 3060ti, using Gen 3.0 x4 Oculink: 12,415

On a 13600K ITX system with DDR5 6600, I recorded timespy gfx scores of 12,700 average (with both Gen 3.0 and 4.0, virtually indistinguishable).

12,415/12,700= 97.7%

Timespy may not be the best indicator of actual gaming performance but I don't have any other benchmarks to reference
This is enough information for me. Thank you very much!

Reactions: SFFMunkee

Superghetto420

Efficiency Noob
Nov 15, 2023
Bro you are literally amazing 👏. I have been looking at the one dock but this is perfect. I like the setup you made thanks a lot for sharing this.

Superghetto420

Efficiency Noob
Nov 15, 2023
msystems.... You said that if any of us were building this you would put up something more in depth. I am building this and would like some more information especially when it comes to the way you jumped two wires. I really appreciate what you have done. I will definitely show you what my build looks like after I am done.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
msystems.... You said that if any of us were building this you would put up something more in depth. I am building this and would like some more information especially when it comes to the way you jumped two wires. I really appreciate what you have done. I will definitely show you what my build looks like after I am done.
So you have 3 wires to make it work.

Riser power - since the riser has sata input, this is a standard sata power connector pinout on the riser side and its wired to the hdplex 4 pin sata area according to the hdplex schematic.

Gpu power - this is standard 8 gpu pin straight cable according to the hdplex schematic

Psu on - the blue and green wires in the picture. Its just a piece of wire shorting "ps on", the two top control pins to force the psu permanently on. A small jumper, like cmos jumper style, would do the same thing. It turns on as long as its plugged in. If you had a latching switch, you could put it between there to control on/off function without unplugging it. Again see the right side of the hdplex schematic for the details of these little control pins which are little tiny pins recessed to the right of the 24pin

Superghetto420

Efficiency Noob
Nov 15, 2023
Respect! Thanks for the reply I do not have a 3d printer so I am having it made through a local shop. I appreciate you thanks once again and I look forward to the day when you decide to do the ogre500! Once again thanks!

Superghetto420

Efficiency Noob
Nov 15, 2023
Another question just in case.... I am going to use a 3060 TI FE and I was wondering if it would be safe to use the Sata power setup that you have used for your EVGA? I am just making sure before I start a fire or ruin something lmao

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Another question just in case.... I am going to use a 3060 TI FE and I was wondering if it would be safe to use the Sata power setup that you have used for your EVGA? I am just making sure before I start a fire or ruin something lmao
If it has a supplementary power connector you should be fine. nVidia cards are usually fairly conservative with the amount of power drawn from the slot.

Reactions: Superghetto420

Superghetto420

Efficiency Noob
Nov 15, 2023
I used the hwinfo64 looked at the PCI and it said max was 43w max when playing mw3 so it should be good I think 🤣

Superghetto420

Efficiency Noob
Nov 15, 2023
Ok so I have built the OGRE250! It's amazing.... The only question I have is how do I keep the Plex from falling out of the bottom? I noticed that msystems has a different bottom on his HDPlex?

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Ok so I have built the OGRE250! It's amazing.... The only question I have is how do I keep the Plex from falling out of the bottom? I noticed that msystems has a different bottom on his HDPlex?
You need to attach the base plate which comes with the GAN, then it will slot into place

Reactions: Superghetto420

bamoes

Cable Smoosher
Jan 3, 2024
@msystems

hello and happy new year.
last update was end of November.
any news on a ogre500?

thnx
i´m building this part now my self.
if someone whats to follow, here is my thread.

Mezzeric

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 29, 2016
The Taobao seller has started to develop a solution for, small cables that bring the Oculink connector off and away from the device's m.2 riser (often located in an inaccessible place) and able to be placed into an accessible place with some modding.

So far, the following customized cables are being made: Thinkpad series 14 and 16, Acer Shadow knight, Asrock DB9 port, GPD WINMAX 2, and a few others which don't have specific hardware associated with them.

With all of these though, the host device still has to be modified to place the Oculink connector in an open position.

I believe they are open to engineering new versions for basically any device. It's possible one of the existing versions might work for Steam Deck if someone wants to try (the riser could be cut down to 2230 length).

Any link where can I buy this? Thanks!