News NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Launching April 2019

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
The RX 570 is a bit faster still but a 1650 super is pretty close and for the power envelope it operates in is pretty strong really. For people running very small and or very power limited systems it is the best option out there it seems. Still needs that PCIE power connector though.

mcspreader

Efficiency Noob
May 17, 2020
Looks like the first 1650 low profile with the GDDR6 RAM: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1656OC-4GL#kf
That ASUS 1650 card you got from Amazon Germany is now (mid May) hitting £205 on the AmazonUK site. Clearly these are still in v short supply, driving the cost up. The D6 version looks promising but I cannot find any available yet. The full (over) height cards with a short format are coming in for preorder but no sign of LP yet in the real world.
My use case doesn't need true SFF or low power but all the manufacturers out there seem to want to steal a few mm on the full height to fit a slightly bigger fan and I have zero clearance over the full size back plate so no plus height or top mounted power sockets. The Lenovo C30 workstation case was designed to take reference height pro GPUs and not a mm more anywhere. It also doesn't like any real estate theft at the bottom of the card if its over about 190mm long as this impinges on the chipset heatsink or cable trunking depending on which slot. Otherwise its totally full size card capable. I almost got excited by the R9 Nano, I have a soft spot for the underdog, but that is still a stack of paper to buy and getting a little long in the tooth. I'm reluctant to chop up the shrouding on a new card to regain the extra few mm hence the SFF path but I'm open to suggestions.

Reactions: owliwar

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I'd like to know as well. I got the Gigabyte gddr5 one and its really nice actually. been playing FFXIV on max no problem. noise wise its pretty silent on idle

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Hi everyone,

So, did someone acquire 1650 GDDR6, how is it? Would it be a worthy upgrade over 1050 Ti?

I put a Zotac 1650 DDR5 into a PC last year, and it's around 35% faster than a 1050 Ti at a similar power consumption. I should have the Zotac 1650 DDR6 version arriving by the end of this week and expect that to be another 5-10% faster than the DDR5 one.

If you have the extra 50W of power budget to go for the Geforce 1650 Super, that offers better bang for your buck. However, both PCs I've bought the vanilla 1650 for would have required the power supplies to be replaced which would have gone over budget.

chromov113

Trash Compacter
Jan 14, 2020
I put a Zotac 1650 DDR5 into a PC last year, and it's around 35% faster than a 1050 Ti at a similar power consumption. I should have the Zotac 1650 DDR6 version arriving by the end of this week and expect that to be another 5-10% faster than the DDR5 one.

If you have the extra 50W of power budget to go for the Geforce 1650 Super, that offers better bang for your buck. However, both PCs I've bought the vanilla 1650 for would have required the power supplies to be replaced which would have gone over budget.

I mean low-profile GPU, that's why 1650 D6 raises my interest.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
let us know how it performs when it gets there :)
I can run some benchmarks here as well to compare my LP 1650 ddr5

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
let us know how it performs when it gets there :)
I can run some benchmarks here as well to compare my LP 1650 ddr5

Will do. I actually have a ITX (not LP) 1650 Gddr5, so will stick that in after and bench it too. See what the results are.

Reactions: Arboreal

chromov113

Trash Compacter
Jan 14, 2020
Hey, I'm going to buy a Gigabyte 1650 D6 GPU (seemingly the only one officially sold in Russia) before the end of this year. The GPU seems to be just fine for my purposes, I only wonder, if there are newer low-profile GPUs to be released anytime soon? Didn't find anything on that.

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
Hey, I'm going to buy a Gigabyte 1650 D6 GPU (seemingly the only one officially sold in Russia) before the end of this year. The GPU seems to be just fine for my purposes, I only wonder, if there are newer low-profile GPUs to be released anytime soon? Didn't find anything on that.
If, hopefully, RDNA2 does scale down good with TDPs (TGPs? These new ways of measuring consumptions is quite confusing until they standardize somehow again), we could expect a 75W 6500ish LP somewhere in the pipeline.
Mind you, AMD has yet to announce anything below the RX 6800, as of now, a 6500/6600 is nothing more than wishful thinking. Having said that though, cheaper GPUs are an important market, expect AMD to offer something in the low spectrum of the lineup, sooner or later.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
If, hopefully, RDNA2 does scale down good with TDPs (TGPs? These new ways of measuring consumptions is quite confusing until they standardize somehow again), we could expect a 75W 6500ish LP somewhere in the pipeline.
Mind you, AMD has yet to announce anything below the RX 6800, as of now, a 6500/6600 is nothing more than wishful thinking. Having said that though, cheaper GPUs are an important market, expect AMD to offer something in the low spectrum of the lineup, sooner or later.
TDP = Thermal Design Power, a vendor-defined metric for ensuring coolers are capable of keeping it within thermal spec. Used as a shorthand for power draw simply because it's been equivalent to that for ages.
TGP = Total Graphics Power, AMD's spec for the power consumption of the GPU ASIC alone (not VRAM, VRMs, and other onboard components)
TBP = Total Board Power, AMD's spec for combining GPU ASIC, VRAM, VRM and other on-board GPU power into a single power draw spec. Equivalent to what most people mean when they talk about the "TDP" of a GPU.

Yes, it is confusing.

As for new LP GPUs: as you say, hopefully with the increased efficiency of RDNA 2 we should get some new 75W GPUs, but I wouldn't expect them until late next year at the earliest. Still, with the 6800 XT at 300W and 6800 at 250, expecting a 6700 XT at ~200, non-XT at ~175, and so on should open the gates for some nice 75W GPUs around the 6500 (XT) class. If they are generous and go for a slightly large die with lower clocks and keep some form of Infinity Cache it could be a real beast. Lower-end Ampere might arrive a few months earlier, though given the meagre efficiency improvements over Turing that might not change all that much.

Reactions: owliwar and K888D

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
My testing is in @owliwar :

Looks like the 5-10% improvement predicted by @AlexTSG is pretty much spot on. I make it around 7%. So not enough to warant and upgrade from a GDDR5 version but with the jump from 1050ti to 1650 I think the 40 ish % improvement make it worth an upgrade from a 1050ti.
actually just saw that today lol
thanks for posting! i'm feeling better by my purchase haha

about amd entering again on the low profile market
I really doubt it, honestly
currently the most powerfull LP card amd has is a prosumer one i believe. the wx4100? the w3200? either that or the rx550LP which is like, 50% of the 1650 performance wise
thats... quite low. I hope they renew the low end tier product as well but i dont think they will attack that soon. they can lower the prices of older cards first to fill the lower end gap and get a bit more profit from that, as I believe this is the best decision they can make business wise, right? unless their mid tier / lowertier card is too expensive to sell for less, I dont think they have too much motive to develop anything better for the mid to low tier consumer right now.

Reactions: K888D and Goatee

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
actually just saw that today lol
thanks for posting! i'm feeling better by my purchase haha

about amd entering again on the low profile market
I really doubt it, honestly
currently the most powerfull LP card amd has is a prosumer one i believe. the wx4100? the w3200? either that or the rx550LP which is like, 50% of the 1650 performance wise
thats... quite low. I hope they renew the low end tier product as well but i dont think they will attack that soon. they can lower the prices of older cards first to fill the lower end gap and get a bit more profit from that, as I believe this is the best decision they can make business wise, right? unless their mid tier / lowertier card is too expensive to sell for less, I dont think they have too much motive to develop anything better for the mid to low tier consumer right now.
That's likely in the short term - until Navi 23 launches (if that's the small die) they'll likely keep selling Navi 10 at lower prices. As I said, I wouldn't be surprised if it took a year for the smallest RDNA 2 die to hit retail, so they could move a lot of volume that way. Though to be fair, a small RDNA 2 chip like that would be a shoo-in for mass-market gaming laptops, which might cause them to push it forward. Nothing to do for now but to wait though.

It's no wonder AMD doesn't currently compete in the 75W and below market, given that they just barely caught up in efficiency with RDNA 1, and only in the best SKUs - the 5600 XT beat nearly every Nvidia card in perf/W, but the 5500 XT was much less impressive, and used a lot more than 75W, meaning that a 75W Navi 14 GPU would have been rather uninspiring. RDNA 2 should deliver a much better alternative at these power levels though.

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
Yeah I hope they prove me wrong but neither team has any incentive to introduce a 75W card anytime within a year.
I'd dare to say that 75W GPUs will start appearing when production yelds will be on track - no point in manufacturing a cheaper GPU when production can barely keep up with demand of higher (=pricier) GPUs - and there will be a 100W~125W GPU whose faulty production could be downscaled to a working 75W GPU. Both from team Green and team Red.

Reactions: Jello