News NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Launching April 2019

Comrade

Caliper Novice
Oct 6, 2019
I'm from Russia :) And ASUS is being sold here officially, as well as 2-output version of MSI. Anyway, I also consider buying a used one, though I didn't spot a single one yet.
But what about cooling - I mean, the temperatures of both ASUS and MSI and if they affect the temperatures of other components?
I've diligently looked for the comparison of different LP 1650 and 1050ti, but it seems, no one bothered himself with those!

EDIT: There is a couple of direct 1050ti LP comparisons, my bad. Though these are also rare in the second-hand marked.
All 1650 are wel, but Asus seem toe be little beter because of PWM and little more quiet operation. Price difference in RU is not significant, so бери асус (get asus) ;)

Before my complains about 'vacuum cleaner' I didn't realize that other fans are making noice too, especially that cpu blower wich Dell also use in server blades...) need to buy a case and pair the card with new hardware.

chromov113

Trash Compacter
Jan 14, 2020
How much more expensive is the ASUS compared to the other models? I would spend 15% more on the ASUS model just for the fan control (and therefore the ability to remove the fans/shroud and attach your own 80mm fans).

I'll try to do a detailed breakdown of everything 1050ti vs 1650 when I get my unit. It won't arrive for a few weeks though and I'll probably need a few more weeks before I have the time to mess with it all.

Seriously, is ASUS the only one with fan control? Won't MSI Afterburner or other software help to tweak the other cards?
Well, I suppose, one could get creative and build a custom cooling system whith fan control, but it is nice to have this feature out of the box.
ASUS and Zotac are 15-20% more expensive than MSI and Gigabyte.

All 1650 are wel, but Asus seem toe be little beter because of PWM and little more quiet operation. Price difference in RU is not significant, so бери асус (get asus) ;)

Before my complains about 'vacuum cleaner' I didn't realize that other fans are making noice too, especially that cpu blower wich Dell also use in server blades...) need to buy a case and pair the card with new hardware.

In general, you are right. I just want to wait another few months and see if they will be available secondhand.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Seriously, is ASUS the only one with fan control? Won't MSI Afterburner or other software help to tweak the other cards?
Well, I suppose, one could get creative and build a custom cooling system whith fan control, but it is nice to have this feature out of the box.
ASUS and Zotac are 15-20% more expensive than MSI and Gigabyte.

In general, you are right. I just want to wait another few months and see if they will be available secondhand.

Yes, ASUS is the only one with fan control, it was the same with the 1050ti models too. In MSI Afterburner you can only sort of tweak the fan profile, the cards are all limited to MINIMUM 40% fan speed even at idle. I even tried flashing my Gigabyte 1050ti with a different BIOS but it didn't work. I don't think Zotac has fan control either.

When I get my ASUS I'll be posting a review including fan control functionality - because that's the main reason I'm buying it. I may do a temperature comparison too with my Gigabyte 1050ti that I currently run with 80x15mm fans using motherboard fan control.

At least using the 1050ti low profile cards as a comparison, they were rarely available 2nd hand in the US market.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Would be fun to have an IFTTT kinda tool to automagically adjust fan's speed according to GPU temp readings.
Yeah so that USED to exist in the form a program called "Speedfan" it was such a tremendous resource to us low noise PC enthusiasts back in the early 2000s.

Unfortunately the developer stopped updating it a few years ago and it is a crap shoot if it works with modern hardware or not. The thermal sensors from my GTX 1050ti are not able to be seen through whatever BUS communicates with this software on my ASRock B450itx motherboard. The best I can do is have them spin up based on CPU temperature, which I do if I'm not gaming. If I'm going to launch a game I just open the software and set them to my preferred value.

Edit: I just realized you mean IFTTT based on launching a program, not temperature sensors. Good idea, I may have to look into that further.

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
Edit: I just realized you mean IFTTT based on launching a program, not temperature sensors. Good idea, I may have to look into that further.
You actually got it right the first time, I was referring to some kind of software reading GPU temps but then acting on CPU fans, if I got right your building.
But then again, a software triggered by the execution of specific programs might just do it for you.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
You actually got it right the first time, I was referring to some kind of software reading GPU temps but then acting on CPU fans, if I got right your building.
But then again, a software triggered by the execution of specific programs might just do it for you.
Yeah that's how Speedfan is supposed to work, but alas not with my config - that's why I paid for the ASUS 1650 so I could have fan control.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Well folks the mythical ASUS 1650 has been delivered to me in the USA by way of Amazon.de. Here are some quick photos including the shroud and fans removed:

Photos on Imgur

Backplate is plastic and therefore doesn't do much. 5 pin power connector was hard to source, but I ordered one from ModDIY as I plan on experimenting with 80mm fans.

I measured the heatsink thinkness and it is 20.5mm from the surface of the PCB, so it's 6mm thinner than my Gigabyte 1050ti so that gives more breathing room to attach 80mm fans in the J Hack Pure X case.

Length of the card is 180mm from the PCIe bracket to edge of PCB.

Noise, cooling, power, performance testing to come in the next couple weeks as I find the time.

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I've only noticed now, but the Asus heatsink looks to be pretty much identical to the MSI low profile one (i have the 1050ti), except it's grey rather than black.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
A few more photos of the ASUS 1650 for those interested, in comparison with the Gigabyte 1050ti. Also bonus fit of it inside the Pure X.

I did some quick and dirty power/temp/noise testing over the weekend. The ASUS zero RPM fan mode is great. Fans spin up to 2000ish RPM during a Furmark burn in session and are reasonably quiet. Card stays in boost clocks the whole time with plenty of headroom to increase fan speed manually (was using Afterburner to check/adjust). As far as power is concerned, no issues running Prime95 small FFT + Furmark on a Meanwell 200w + PicoPSU 160XT (as to be expected).

I'm waiting on a 5 pin cable from ModDIY so I can experiment with 80mm aftermarket fans and manual fan curve control.

So far well worth the $164 purchase price.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
There's new hope! MSI is supposedly getting ready to release 1650 cards with GDDR6 memory. Codenames for the cards are the following:

MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 GAMING X
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 GAMING
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 VENTUS XS OC
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 VENTUS XS
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 AERO ITX OC
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 AERO ITX
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6T LP OC
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6T LP

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I saw these articles yesterday, how much of a difference will GDDR6 make? Obviously the 1650 super was a nice performance upgrade, but at the cost of watts. I'm wondering if this will be a true upgrade like a "1650ti"

Reactions: CottonTexas

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I saw these articles yesterday, how much of a difference will GDDR6 make? Obviously the 1650 super was a nice performance upgrade, but at the cost of watts. I'm wondering if this will be a true upgrade like a "1650ti"

Probably not a lot, at least not enough to make this into the 1650ti. The 1650 super also had a significant upgrade in cuda cores and clock speed so I don't think we'll see similar performances.

Reactions: CottonTexas

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Anyone find any news on LP 1650 with GDDR6? I'm happy with my ASUS 1650LP and don't plan on replacing it, but just curious.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Would the 1650 Super be a worthy upgrade from a RX 570? I currently have a 560 and don't have the 570 installed just because my power supply doesn't support discrete GPU power. But in the future I might want a 1650 Super because it also would use less power than a 570. Tuning the 570 for power reduction was harder than I expected in my experience.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Would the 1650 Super be a worthy upgrade from a RX 570? I currently have a 560 and don't have the 570 installed just because my power supply doesn't support discrete GPU power. But in the future I might want a 1650 Super because it also would use less power than a 570. Tuning the 570 for power reduction was harder than I expected in my experience.

Quick and dirty estimate is 30-35w less for the 1650 super than the RX 570 from this Anandtech article: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15090/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-super-review/9

Total system power consumption under 200w while gaming, pretty nice. That's obviously not tuning either for power consumption.

Reactions: TheHig