News NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Launching April 2019

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@Analogue Blacksheep Great links. Did you pay the extra $35 USD VAT? Disappointing Asus isn't offering the 1650 in North America like they did the 1050. When I swapped messages with Asus today they emphasized warranty RMA service will not be provided for anyone in the US/CA that buys from overseas. I expect fail rate will only be 1-2% though.

I was looking at going with this vendor, just because they don't charge VAT

Yet, I'd happily go with Quzo on your recommendation if they also don't charge VAT. Cheers.

No problem, Quzo seems to be one of those hidden gems. I did have to pay VAT, but I'm based in the UK so I'm not sure how things will effect you if you are importing to the USA.

Reactions: quacking_duck

RichterSnipes

Trash Compacter
Aug 17, 2019
Yeah I believe you, I prob shouldn't say that lest someone took it by heart. In the case of my project, more options the better (if it can fit asus the it can fit zotac). I've had good experiences with both asus and zotac, but if they come at similar price point I veer towards asus.
For what it's worth, the Zotac card in and of itself is great. However, the sound comments are very real. When it reaches past 70% load, it's like a jet engine. Well, not literally, but you get what I mean. It's a lot like the PS3's fan when it's at load. You can hear the fan even at idle.

If you're able to get the Asus at a similar price and it fits your case, go for it! Otherwise, you should be plenty satisfied with the Zotac model so long as you have at least a little tolerance for fan sounds.

Comrade

Caliper Novice
Oct 6, 2019
For what it's worth, the Zotac card in and of itself is great. However, the sound comments are very real. When it reaches past 70% load, it's like a jet engine. Well, not literally, but you get what I mean. It's a lot like the PS3's fan when it's at load. You can hear the fan even at idle.

If you're able to get the Asus at a similar price and it fits your case, go for it! Otherwise, you should be plenty satisfied with the Zotac model so long as you have at least a little tolerance for fan sounds.
Asus is audible above 40% fan speed (~2000rpm) and noisy as vacuum cleaner at target temp 83C and 90% fan speed (4000rpm) in my case. Zotac has at least bigger heatsink that also covers VRM and i assume the card can be not that noisy in games.

Reactions: Copernicus

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Asus is audible above 40% fan speed (~2000rpm) and noisy as vacuum cleaner at target temp 83C and 90% fan speed (4000rpm) in my case. Zotac has at least bigger heatsink that also covers VRM and i assume the card can be not that noisy in games.

So far, in my experience my Zotac is quite usable at 80% speed (which is as far as I've driven it so far). It creates an audible whine, but fades into the background.

Reactions: Comrade

Comrade

Caliper Novice
Oct 6, 2019
So far, in my experience my Zotac is quite usable at 80% speed (which is as far as I've driven it so far). It creates an audible whine, but fades into the background.
Maybe its just a matter of personal perception. I've been using very silent PC before, that's why my Asus sounds as "vacuum cleaner " ) In case with better airflow it would be less audible. I'm glad it makes no noise at all in 2D, thats why i bought it in first place.
I think it was my first and last try playing SFF. Next time i will just buy some fancy mini-ATX case to build a system with regular components. Dont know what case to look at, they all are expensive and designed to collect dust, so thought to use my good old Dell for some time.

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 14, 2019
Maybe its just a matter of personal perception...

I know that has a lot to do with it for me. I've read some reviews that complain about noise, and they turn out to be quieter than my laptop at idle ...and then I have flash-backs to my old-school stock AMD cooler, & snicker. Maybe I was just never properly spoiled. :)

Kagemand

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
Meh, pretty sad there's nothing going on with the 1650 Super in a LP version. The current 1650 LP cards are not very good value, they're priced like the super but significantly slower.

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 14, 2019
Meh, pretty sad there's nothing going on with the 1650 Super in a LP version. The current 1650 LP cards are not very good value, they're priced like the super but significantly slower.

I can't really complain since this is a pretty significant upgrade from the previous LP options. The Super version of the 1650 would likely consume more wattage and require an aux. power cable which would make smooshing one of these into a tiny case that much more challenging. Though I wouldn't complain if we got more FPS in a LP card for the same 75w either. Just my 2¢ anyway. Cotton

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
The current 1650 LP cards are not very good value, they're priced like the super but significantly slower.

Gotta ask, as compared to what? If you're looking to put a graphics card into a machine that only fits low-profile cards, this is the fastest available. Bar none.

I'll complain about the 1650 LP when someone releases a faster LP card. This card represents the ONLY improvement in the LP sector in more than three years...

Kagemand

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
Gotta ask, as compared to what? If you're looking to put a graphics card into a machine that only fits low-profile cards, this is the fastest available. Bar none.

I'll complain about the 1650 LP when someone releases a faster LP card. This card represents the ONLY improvement in the LP sector in more than three years...
Right, there's nothing else for now, but the card should be around 20 percent cheaper than it is now, after the 1650 super was released.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
still patiently waiting for that magical Asus 1650 low profile to be available shipped to my house for less than $200

Are you US based? Has been available in EU for 175-180€ for a couple of months now...

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 14, 2019
Right, there's nothing else for now, but the card should be around 20 percent cheaper than it is now, after the 1650 super was released.

still patiently waiting for that magical Asus 1650 low profile to be available shipped to my house for less than $200

Fair point. Why would we expect lower prices when the market hasn't made readily available what is supposed to be already available. I would love to see these get cheaper, but I don't think we'll see it happen for a while.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Are you US based? Has been available in EU for 175-180€ for a couple of months now...

Yep I'm in US. Someone posted a seller that would ship to US but even without VAT it was around $210 or so.

I've got a 1050ti that works for now and have been burning my fun money on other hobbies so I'm trying to be patient.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019

Why? I mean really, how does that make any sense? As a manufacturer, I am holding the most powerful graphics card available for a certain range of machines. There is nothing better, there has been nothing better in three years, and there will likely be nothing better for another three years; there is never going to be a 1650 super LP, and I don't see AMD playing in the realm of LP again any time soon. Why do I need to discount my product?

I don't understand why the price of the 1650 LP hasn't gone up. Nvidia has no competition here; why try to lower prices when you enjoy a monopoly?

chromov113

Trash Compacter
Jan 14, 2020
Hi! I am considering to buy a low profile 1650. Have read some posts in this thread, and it seems to me, there was no conclusion about which one is the best. I personally lean towards MSI, and the reasons are: 1) it seems to have biggest fans among others - may be a little quieter; 2) there's a version with only 2 video outputs while the second slot is opened for the air to flow - aids the GPU and the overall system cooling. What do you think?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Hi! I am considering to buy a low profile 1650. Have read some posts in this thread, and it seems to me, there was no conclusion about which one is the best. I personally lean towards MSI, and the reasons are: 1) it seems to have biggest fans among others - may be a little quieter; 2) there's a version with only 2 video outputs while the second slot is opened for the air to flow - aids the GPU and the overall system cooling. What do you think?
You know I was just looking at these again last night. The MSI seems to have good availability and prices in the USA right now. There is still some fan noise concern since it can't get below 40% at idle, but the ASUS appears to be the only card that can go lower and unfortunately is not for sale in the USA (About $210 to import with questionable warranty). MSI available for $160.

EDIT: just stumbled upon this on Amazon UK: Going through the checkout procedure it is only $185 or 135 pound shipped to USA if you want to do your own conversion rate instead of accepting Amazons.
I'm going to sleep on it and probably buy it tomorrow unless I come up with a good reason not to.

EDIT2: it is even cheaper on Amazon Germany, comes out to about $164 shipped paying in Euro - so I bought one.

Last edited:

chromov113

Trash Compacter
Jan 14, 2020
You know I was just looking at these again last night. The MSI seems to have good availability and prices in the USA right now. There is still some fan noise concern since it can't get below 40% at idle, but the ASUS appears to be the only card that can go lower and unfortunately is not for sale in the USA (About $210 to import with questionable warranty). MSI available for $160.

I'm from Russia :) And ASUS is being sold here officially, as well as 2-output version of MSI. Anyway, I also consider buying a used one, though I didn't spot a single one yet.
But what about cooling - I mean, the temperatures of both ASUS and MSI and if they affect the temperatures of other components?
I've diligently looked for the comparison of different LP 1650 and 1050ti, but it seems, no one bothered himself with those!

EDIT: There is a couple of direct 1050ti LP comparisons, my bad. Though these are also rare in the second-hand marked.

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I'm from Russia :) And ASUS is being sold here officially, as well as 2-output version of MSI. Anyway, I also consider buying a used one, though I didn't spot a single one yet.
But what about cooling - I mean, the temperatures of both ASUS and MSI and if they affect the temperatures of other components?
I've diligently looked for the comparison of different LP 1650 and 1050ti, but it seems, no one bothered himself with those!

EDIT: There is a couple of direct 1050ti LP comparisons, my bad. Though these are also rare in the second-hand marked.
Anything low profile is very niche and as you say difficult to find reviews. I had to do a lot of guesswork with my 1050ti setup over the past few years, and it really didn't work out too well. That's part of the reason I would (and did) spend extra money for the ASUS model - it is known that the ASUS model has a zero RPM fan mode and you can then set your own fan curve in software if you like.
One nice thing about these 75w GPUs is that they can't get that hot and dump that much heat into your case - they are limited to 75w of power after all.
How much more expensive is the ASUS compared to the other models? I would spend 15% more on the ASUS model just for the fan control (and therefore the ability to remove the fans/shroud and attach your own 80mm fans).

I'll try to do a detailed breakdown of everything 1050ti vs 1650 when I get my unit. It won't arrive for a few weeks though and I'll probably need a few more weeks before I have the time to mess with it all.