News NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Launching April 2019

ixit

Efficiency Noob
Oct 22, 2019
I dont like their cards too, but what updates do you mean?
I'm referring to my experiences with them on other products. Lack of updates feels like a lack of investment from the company, which could translate to a poor warranty experience. This is just a personal feeling - I don't like buying from people who don't provide regular updates. I had a really bad experience with a Gigabyte NUC - they wouldn't provide security updates (firmware), so I couldn't use it anymore for work. I was able to bastardize the updates from intel standard ones and other vendors for a little while but eventually something came up and I couldn't proceed.
Waaaay off topic, sorry. Anyway, I don't buy Gigabyte after that, especially for Video, NUC, or Mobo.

ixit

Efficiency Noob
Oct 22, 2019
Ok, it turns out that Skyrim SE is capped at 60 FPS. And, the GTX 1650 laughs at all graphics settings below "ultra" -- at anything less, it hits 60 FPS without the GPU utilization even getting close to 100% (this is at 1080p resolution). At "ultra" settings, it will hover around 57-59 FPS most of the time (60 FPS when you are talking to NPCs); at worst, it will go down to about 50 FPS during battle scenes.

I'm kinda surprised; I didn't think this card was quite this powerful. :) Ultra is actually quite playable. I still haven't been able to get the card to run the fans at 100%, either; even with GPU utilization maxed out, I guess the card just didn't get warm enough. I'll probably have to wait until summertime again to find out how loud that is. The fans do produce an audible whine running at 80%, but it isn't so bad to me to reposition the case below my desk just yet...

EDIT: At 79% fan speed, I'm reading 43-44 decibels at my seat. The computer sits on the desk in front of me, below my monitor (maybe two feet away).
I sure hope that performance pans out well at higher resolutions. I'm running 3440x1440 on a Quadro P400 (gaming was not the original purpose...) and I typically get stuck with low settings and older games - although I can run The Division and Borderlands 2 play-ably on low settings. I'm really looking forward to that Asus 1650 kicking things up several notches. There aren't really any good comparisons, but passmark shows some numbers at least.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
But...
a 970 gulps 300W,
a 1060 gobbles 150W, and
a 1650 sips 75W.

It's getting there. Give 'em 5 more years.
970 at 300W? I get that you're exaggerating to make a point, but that's... a bit much :p Last I checked that was a 148W TDP card. Also, the 1060 is more like 120W, no? On the other hand Turing is not that much more efficient than Pascal - something like 10-15%. 7nm Ampere will likely be a significant efficiency jump again. But we won't be getting 970/1060-class performance at 75W before that unless AMD pulls off a miracle with their small Navi cards (which they won't, as Navi is mostly a known quantity at this point, matching or slightly beating Turing on efficiency, but that's it).

Reactions: CottonTexas

maxdfw

Smol Form Factor
Aug 21, 2019
Really curious about this 1650 SUPER that's coming out next month. Apparently they raised the power from 75w to 100w so it will require a pcie power connector, but theyre using GDDR6 memory and it's supposed to be 2x as fast.

I might have to pick up an HDplex 200w so I can upgrade my system. ?

Reactions: princess_daphie

Comrade

Caliper Novice
Oct 6, 2019
I assume that my dell 7010sff with an 3770, 2x8gb sticks, two ssd's, wifi card and 1650 consumes about 130-140W ingame.

maxdfw

Smol Form Factor
Aug 21, 2019
I assume that my dell 7010sff with an 3770, 2x8gb sticks, two ssd's, wifi card and 1650 consumes about 130-140W ingame.
My system with the specs in my signature only consumes 134w max. The 1650 is super efficient.

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 14, 2019
My system with the specs in my signature only consumes 134w max. The 1650 is super efficient.

Glad to hear it. My build is going to be a LOT like yours, only built around a T-series Intel i7 & a STRIX B360-I. My main focus is to build a super-efficient, yet still very capable machine, and that's what drew me to the 1650 in the first place.

Reactions: maxdfw

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Over here, I've got a classic Lenovo m83 SFF, i5-4590, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, consuming something like 110 watts total with the 1650 running full out in Skyrim. The CPU isn't heavily loaded down in this case; it'd probably use more power with both CPU & GPU fully engaged.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
I haven't been keeping up as much with the gtx 1650 situation lately, but I have noticed that Newegg now offers US customers a choice in low profile cards: you can choose the Zotac card, imported from Canada, or the MSI card, also apparently imported from Canada. The embargo of the US drags on.

BTW, I should note that Fallout 4 is useless for testing this card. Even at maximum graphics settings (at 1080p), the card hits the 60 fps limit well before maxing out its processing capacity...

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
The embargo of the US has ended! (Maybe.) Newegg has managed to acquire some of the MSI cards, and is selling them at $170. I haven't seen any other brands yet, or other stores selling the cards locally, but hopefully this means that things are finally starting to move...

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
You could buy at computeruniverse already..
So long as you're prepared to pay the shipping fees and deal with international communications for any problems with damage or manufacturing defects. There are advantages to having a local retailer.