News NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Launching April 2019

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
One item of note: one customer of the MSI card on Japan's Amazon site has reported that the low-profile bracket supplied with the card did not match up with the ports and screw holes on the card, making it unusable. Other users have not had this problem, but perhaps something to watch out for...

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
I was gonna pass the MSI card due to lack of DP anyway. Now that's a second reason for me to avoid it.

Any other word on the rumored 1650Ti LP on the grapevine? I don't know if I should wait for it as I don't know it's coming or not...

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I was gonna pass the MSI card due to lack of DP anyway. Now that's a second reason for me to avoid it.

Any other word on the rumored 1650Ti LP on the grapevine? I don't know if I should wait for it as I don't know it's coming or not...
Given that any kind of 1650Ti is pure speculation at this point I wouldn't hold my breath for an LP version. If a Ti arrives at all it will likely be several months before LP versions hit retailers, especially given how slow the trickle of 1650 LP cards has been.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
ASUS card looks to have a 4-pin fan header on board. Is that a regular 4-pin? If not, is there an adapter anyone knows of, so we can plug case fans on it instead?

I'm almost positive the ASUS is actually a 5-pin header, not 4-pin. At least their version of the 1050ti was. This is common on high end multi fan graphics cards that support fan control.
Download and zoom in on the 2nd photo: https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/GTX1650-4G-LP-BRK/gallery/
I think it goes: red-black-yellow-black(green?)-blue

You can buy a y-cable here: https://www.moddiy.com/products/5-P...tor-to-Dual-PWM-4-Pin-Fan-Cable-Splitter.html

or here:
"ASUS" version here: https://www.ebay.com/i/111322610361...Rtesn2m9GQoORBlDZWzetn8jzUDNHAiBoCMqcQAvD_BwE

I'm sure there are other options too.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Reactions: smitty2k1

Semper 5

Chassis Packer
Feb 5, 2019
Is there a similar solution for Zotac's GTX 1650 LP? I'd be interested in trying something like this out if it's been proven to work without issue. I've gotten used to the sound outside of 100% load, but I'd still appreciate something like this.

I had mentioned that in my build I think its just too early to find a modded BIOS for the ZOTAC 1650, and this had been the one main reason why I've hesitated to pull the trigger on buying one...and then I found out about an ASUS OC'd 1650 with possible 0% fan idle.

In theory, one could use the ROM from an EVGA 1650 4Gb and using the same instructions, flash it to the ZOTAC. I've looked pretty closely and it seems it would match the original parameters of the process and the specs seem to match. I wish I had a 1650 to try. But I would definitely use the smaller single fan 1650 model's ROM since, like the original process calls for, the single fan smaller version has certain instructions meant for thicker heatsinks and fan optimization that would be a more suitable match to the ZOTAC LP. Problem is I can't find the ROM for that specific model yet.

Last edited:

rogar308

Caliper Novice
Jul 18, 2019
Still waiting for 9/26/19 to arrive to see if BLT gets in the 1650 LP's after multiple delays. I sure hope so. Tempting to buy a pile of them and sell them on ebay for $200 each. Somebody more business savy then me should do that. :)

Reactions: Copernicus

RichterSnipes

Trash Compacter
Aug 17, 2019
I had mentioned that in my build I think its just too early to find a modded BIOS for the ZOTAC 1650, and this had been the one main reason why I've hesitated to pull the trigger on buying one...and then I found out about an ASUS OC'd 1650 with possible 0% fan idle.

In theory, one could use the ROM from an EVGA 1650 4Gb and using the same instructions, flash it to the ZOTAC. I've looked pretty closely and it seems it would match the original parameters of the process and the specs seem to match. I wish I had a 1650 to try. But I would definitely use the smaller single fan 1650 model's ROM since, like the original process calls for, the single fan smaller version has certain instructions meant for thicker heatsinks and fan optimization that would be a more suitable match to the ZOTAC LP. Problem is I can't find the ROM for that specific model yet.
What does it take for another card's BIOS to be compatible with a specific model? I'm curious as to why any of the single-fan GTX 1650 cards with a BIOS currently available wouldn't be a good fit for flashing onto the Zotac GTX 1650 LP.
Still waiting for 9/26/19 to arrive to see if BLT gets in the 1650 LP's after multiple delays. I sure hope so. Tempting to buy a pile of them and sell them on ebay for $200 each. Somebody more business savy then me should do that.
And make it even harder for us Yanks to get our hands on 1650 low-profile card at a semi-reasonable price? Eww.

Here's hoping they're available by then, though!

Semper 5

Chassis Packer
Feb 5, 2019
What does it take for another card's BIOS to be compatible with a specific model? I'm curious as to why any of the single-fan GTX 1650 cards with a BIOS currently available wouldn't be a good fit for flashing onto the Zotac GTX 1650 LP.

My only reasoning is going with what the original procedure calls for (ie: using an EVGA mini form single fan BIOS for the ZOTAC LPs). It may very well work with other BIOSes but for safety sake I'd try to emulate what was already successfully achieved with as close to the conditions as possible. Sorry, I wish I had a more definitive answer.

RichterSnipes

Trash Compacter
Aug 17, 2019
My only reasoning is going with what the original procedure calls for (ie: using an EVGA mini form single fan BIOS for the ZOTAC LPs). It may very well work with other BIOSes but for safety sake I'd try to emulate what was already successfully achieved with as close to the conditions as possible. Sorry, I wish I had a more definitive answer.
Looking into the process a bit, it seems like something you could theoretically do with any BIOS for the same card model. You need to either use an older version of NVFlash or override any safety features in newer versions to cross-flash BIOSes. Outside of doing something wrong in the flashing process, the biggest problem seems to be with making sure the power limit of the BIOS you're flashing over doesn't go far past the power limit of your card. Since the Zotac GTX 1650 LP card doesn't use a 6-/8-pin connector to the PSU, going past 75 W is a big no-no. Of course, cross-flashing in general is usually a horrible idea, but there are valid use cases for it. Like here with this card's less-than-ideal thermal profile.

But now I don't know how to figure out what the fan/temperature profiles are for a given card. Those aren't listed on the TechPowerUp database. I don't really feel like cross-flashing 5 different theoretically-compatible BIOSes ([1], [2], [3], [4], [5]) to find one that works the best out of what's currently available. And I really don't want to flash more than once to minimize the chances of something going wrong.

Neither is the BIOS for this card, for that matter. So I decided to upload the BIOS to the site myself. Hopefully it shows up there soon enough! It's important to have these things available for preservation's sake. It'll also help for anyone who bricks their card and (for whatever reason) doesn't have a backup of the BIOS available.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Looking into the process a bit, it seems like something you could theoretically do with any BIOS for the same card model. You need to either use an older version of NVFlash or override any safety features in newer versions to cross-flash BIOSes. Outside of doing something wrong in the flashing process, the biggest problem seems to be with making sure the power limit of the BIOS you're flashing over doesn't go far past the power limit of your card. Since the Zotac GTX 1650 LP card doesn't use a 6-/8-pin connector to the PSU, going past 75 W is a big no-no. Of course, cross-flashing in general is usually a horrible idea, but there are valid use cases for it. Like here with this card's less-than-ideal thermal profile.

But now I don't know how to figure out what the fan/temperature profiles are for a given card. Those aren't listed on the TechPowerUp database. I don't really feel like cross-flashing 5 different theoretically-compatible BIOSes ([1], [2], [3], [4], [5]) to find one that works the best out of what's currently available. And I really don't want to flash more than once to minimize the chances of something going wrong.

Neither is the BIOS for this card, for that matter. So I decided to upload the BIOS to the site myself. Hopefully it shows up there soon enough! It's important to have these things available for preservation's sake. It'll also help for anyone who bricks their card and (for whatever reason) doesn't have a backup of the BIOS available.
Instead of trying a bunch of BIOS maybe try one that has a zero RPM fan mode so you can at least program it yourself with Afterburner or a similar piece of software? However, I'm guessing it will be the same issue I ran into - the zero RPM cards have 4/5 pin fan headers and most of these LP cards have 3 pin fan headers so fan control may still be broken.

Minimum 40% fan speed makes no sense :(

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Flashing your card with unsupported BIOS seems riskier to me than just replacing the fans with quiet aftermarket fans. You won't void your warranty with it as they're attached to the radiator and not to the PCB. Zero RPM is nice, but an 80mm fan running at 500rpm is inaudible too and you get the advantage of having a quiet card on load as well.

Reactions: Valantar

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Zotac has updated the images for their LP 1650 card on their Canadian site. It appears they have modified the box cover to follow Canadian law, with text on the box now appearing in both English and French.

Still no progress visible on getting LP 1650 cards to new markets...

RichterSnipes

Trash Compacter
Aug 17, 2019
Flashing your card with unsupported BIOS seems riskier to me than just replacing the fans with quiet aftermarket fans. You won't void your warranty with it as they're attached to the radiator and not to the PCB. Zero RPM is nice, but an 80mm fan running at 500rpm is inaudible too and you get the advantage of having a quiet card on load as well.
The main sources I've seen for replacing a GPU's stock fans typically involve strapping case fans to the GPU's heatsink via zip ties. There's no way I'm going down that route. And I don't know where I'd find suitable replacement fans for this card that would both fit the card's plastic shroud and function entirely properly with this card's cooling.

I haven't actually flashed anything as of now. I don't plan on even considering it until the TechPowerUp database gets updated to have the BIOS for this card. That's mainly for peace of mind, in case there's somehow something wrong with the BIOS dump from my card. The most recent version of GPU-Z crashes every time I try to dump the BIOS, but the previous version dumped it. Hoping it's not the fault of my card.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
"Launch" next summer. Estimated in stock holiday season 2020. Actually shipping spring 2022.
Ok I'll change my tune and take the glass half full approach:

Manufacturers knew the 1650ti was coming and based on sales of 1050 vs. 1050ti low profile cards they decided to not develop and produce 1650 LP cards and instead wait for 1650ti launch to just maintain one SKU.

Reactions: theGryphon

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Some movement; a half dozen European stores are now predicting they will have the OC Asus LP 1650 in stock next week. Also, a few mention the MSI card will be in stock by the end of the month or early next month.

Not sure if these companies are going to mimic Zotac's rollout. It would seem logical to me to leapfrog Zotac and steal away customers in countries they skipped, but I would imagine these companies all have a strategy they follow...

EDIT: a couple of stores (Future-x, COM.home) report already having 8 or 9 Asus cards in stock.

Last edited: