Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Noctua NH-L12S
Yup, either this or a black ridge with slim fan on bottom and thick fan on top(not sure on the performance difference, but I don't think they'd be far off). :)

I'd recommend the l-12s if you don't plan to go smaller in the future. Because the cost of the black ridge(with the config I mentioned) requires vlp ram, and it is either not cheap, or not easy to get respectable timings from(depending on the kit).

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
What would get in the way of installing this psu? https://www.newegg.com/fractal-design-fd-psu-ion-sfx-500g-bk-500w/p/N82E16817580025

If I put a tophat on the bottom would I have room? Can you even do that?
It should fit. It is just a little longer. It *may* interfere with a 120mm fan mounted at the bottom, but I believe both the width and height dimensions are the same it's just the length (the length would be the vertical dimension when it's installed in the case)

It is only 5mm longer so I don't think it would be an issue, especially since Nouvolo raised the height of the PSU on v1.1 (but even in v1.0, I think it's fine. However, you may be able to only put a slim fan on the bottom depending on cable management).

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
It should fit. It is just a little longer. It *may* interfere with a 120mm fan mounted at the bottom, but I believe both the width and height dimensions are the same it's just the length (the length would be the vertical dimension when it's installed in the case)

It is only 5mm longer so I don't think it would be an issue, especially since Nouvolo raised the height of the PSU on v1.1 (but even in v1.0, I think it's fine. However, you may be able to only put a slim fan on the bottom depending on cable management).
So just to clarify, If I put a tophat on the bottom (that's doable, right?) then I'll be fine? Or do I not need the tophat? I have version 1.0.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
So just to clarify, If I put a tophat on the bottom (that's doable, right?) then I'll be fine? Or do I not need the tophat? I have version 1.0.

Yes, you will need a stack unit on the bottom to mount 2x 120mm fans. - Sorry that was someone elses questions.

Edit: In your case, with an SGX/SFX-L PSU, you can still mount a 120mm x 15mm slim fan on the bottom no problem. The V1.0 doesn't have mounting points for a bottom fan, but its easy enough to mount one with double sided foam tape.

Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Yes, you will need a stack unit on the bottom to mount 2x 120mm fans. - Sorry that was someone elses questions.

Edit: In your case, with an SGX/SFX-L PSU, you can still mount a 120mm x 15mm slim fan on the bottom no problem. The V1.0 doesn't have mounting points for a bottom fan, but its easy enough to mount one with double sided foam tape.

I intended to put an AIO in a top tophat, and reserve the bottom tophat for cablespace/ 1x 120MM fan. That should be okay, based off what you're saying!

Thanks for the clarification!

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
A good read to help you pick the right graphics card for your case.

Graphics Cards Slot Width Explained [Single, Dual, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.75, 3]

I finished building my steck 1.0, and I noticed a few things (not sure if they have been addressed)

Top panel magnetic strip was lifted by the screws because the countersink wasn't deep enough (I just shaved the magnetic strip)
The holes for the glass panels on mine were not masked before powder coating, resulting in tough entry for thumbscrews.

No permanent issues, and it was awesome to put together! Can I stack two top hats on one another?

horst800

What's an ITX?
Nov 7, 2019
hey guys,
ordered the case,
whats the best option for a 2080 TI? i was gonna get the asus but realized its too thick at 54mm? steck specs say 45mm max.

and then, for case fans, i wanted to install an eisbaer 240 AIO for the cpu, in the extension hat. that only leaves room/mounting holes for one additional case fan, at the bottom, correct?