Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Jeff92

Efficiency Noob
Oct 28, 2019
A few on Reddit r/sffpc perhaps this link will help you find something, might have to do a little digging through posts. :) https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/sear...sr=on&include_over_18=on&sort=relevance&t=all some things to note, although temps won't be too much different, posts about a year ago are from community testers, posts from 9-4 moths ago are probably v1.0, and the most recent (within the last 3 months or so) are probably v1.1(currently what is for sale). The changes are pretty small, thermally speaking, but the newest revision does allow for a 120mm fan under the PSU, which was only a 92mm fan before(v1.0). This can help, although there isn't a lot of ventilation for the 120mm fan, it still can help a little. :)
Thank you! it seems like some of these builds tend to be slightly on the warmer side. I remember watching OptimumTech's video where he added a Kraken X52 to his Ghost S1 and getting really good temps with that setup. Considering the Ghost and Steck are very similar I wonder if it's possible to closely match these temps in the Steck. I'm sure swapping the stock Kraken x52 fans with Noctua fans would make it even cooler and quieter.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Thank you! it seems like some of these builds tend to be slightly on the warmer side. I remember watching OptimumTech's video where he added a Kraken X52 to his Ghost S1 and getting really good temps with that setup. Considering the Ghost and Steck are very similar I wonder if it's possible to closely match these temps in the Steck. I'm sure swapping the stock Kraken x52 fans with Noctua fans would make it even cooler and quieter.
That's possible, one thing to note is that the steck has less ventilation/perforation than the ghost. Hopefully it will be addressed in future revisions of the steck.

MadMonK85

Efficiency Noob
Oct 14, 2019
That's possible, one thing to note is that the steck has less ventilation/perforation than the ghost. Hopefully it will be addressed in future revisions of the steck.
Yes, it's one of the biggest disadvantages. A fan installed close to the side panel is very noisy (i've got Scythe Big Shuriken 3). When you remove the panel, the hum from the fan decreases significantly and the temperature drops by 7-8° C.

Also, the perforation on the bottom panel is very weak, installing a 120 mm fan does not make much sense.

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Yes, it's one of the biggest disadvantages. A fan installed close to the side panel is very noisy (i've got Scythe Big Shuriken 3). When you remove the panel, the hum from the fan decreases significantly and the temperature drops by 7-8° C.

Also, the perforation on the bottom panel is very weak, installing a 120 mm fan does not make much sense.
Unless you do like me. ;)

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I forgot to ask last time I saw this: Did you manage this with a dremmel, or do you have access to something like a CnC router?
Scroll saw. I'm hoping to have the build done today or tomorrow. :) (Probably next week if I keep procrastinating lol!.... Or if I run into fitment issues)

I wanted to keep the original 92mm fan holes so that's why it's not a perfect circle.

The spine and side rails I used a Dremel on.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Scroll saw. I'm hoping to have the build done today or tomorrow. :) (Probably next week if I keep procrastinating lol!.... Or if I run into fitment issues)

I wanted to keep the original 92mm fan holes so that's why it's not a perfect circle.

The spine and side rails I used a Dremel on.

Nice, I was considering something similar on my 1.0 since the slim 120 is just foam taped in there at the moment. Probably wont be as clean as yours, but I'll probably give dremeling a shot, since I don't (yet) have a scroll-saw.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Nice, I was considering something similar on my 1.0 since the slim 120 is just foam taped in there at the moment. Probably wont be as clean as yours, but I'll probably give dremeling a shot, since I don't (yet) have a scroll-saw.
Yeah I picked one up for $25 on Craigslist, it's old, but functional. I'm using it again soon to trim some copper heatsinks down for my GPU cooling. I bought some 3mm thick nvme copper heatsinks to fit on my power delivery (I think they are called mosfets) on my 2080ti. Which will be cooled by a icekimo 240 vga. :) The hole is for my 2700x's 120mm custom aio. (Bought a cooler master aio and cut the tubes and installed a copper 120mm rad to it)

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Yeah I picked one up for $25 on Craigslist, it's old, but functional. I'm using it again soon to trim some copper heatsinks down for my GPU cooling. I bought some 3mm thick nvme copper heatsinks to fit on my power delivery (I think they are called mosfets) on my 2080ti. Which will be cooled by a icekimo 240 vga. :) The hole is for my 2700x's 120mm custom aio. (Bought a cooler master aio and cut the tubes and installed a copper 120mm rad to it)

Sounds like an interesting project. Post some pictures when you finish for sure.

Reactions: Poblopuablo

Munix

What's an ITX?
Nov 25, 2019
Hi all. I just got my Steck 1.1 [base + stack] case last week and should be getting the final pieces for the build this week. It will be my first PC (and Hackintosh dual boot) build ever, so wanted to pass this cooling setup by others here that may've likely had similar parts and find out what worked best.

Parts list thus far:
- ASRock Phantom Gaming ITX motherboard
- i7-9700K
- PowerColor Red Dragon 5700XT (will have to sand/file down part of the case to support this)
- Corsair H100i AIO
- Corsair SF600 PSU
- 2x 970 Evo+ NVMe drives
- ??? 120x25 fan for bottom of case

My first plan for airflow is to have the AIO fans pulling air in, as this is the recommended configuration by Corsair and having the bottom case fan exhausting out the bottom. My hope is that the exhaust is strong enough to allow the video card and PSU to pull in fresh air from the side vents. Does anyone else have this setup and how did it work for you?

Optimum Tech on youtube recommends negative pressure for the Loque S1, but I'm concerned venting through the AIO will soak it with warmer air continuously. Would the air being drawn in through the radiator be warmed so much as to further warm the internals vs exhausting? Also, I've heard blower cards are better for these cases, but supposedly the fans on the AIB cards are far more effective in basically any scenario.

Last edited:

MadMonK85

Efficiency Noob
Oct 14, 2019
Unless you do like me. ;)
This will greatly reduce the stability of the all case. In my opinion, there is lack of the rigidity of an unmodified steck. Maybe later will drill some holes ?

I also think to try to make a top hat by adjusting the feets for this.

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
This will greatly reduce the stability of the all case. In my opinion, there is lack of the rigidity of an unmodified steck. Maybe later will drill some holes ?

I also think to try to make a top hat by adjusting the feets for this.
I have not noticed much of any flex/lack of stability in my system yet. But it is currently unfinished. That being said it will have a steck unit at the top for a 240mm radiator for my GPU so that will help, if there is any (like @chyll2 said). :)

vitorp07

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 27, 2019
Some initial design parts for Steck v2:
  • Double 120x15mm or 120x25mm, hidden inside the current feet, pushes air up the case.
  • Feet style re-designed also with a curve opening
  • Fans hidden in the "pocket" inside the feet, but still raised up by 10mm to allow air get sucked in
  • Overall case height maybe raised by 15-18mm, even though can house 25mm fans
EDIT: please feedback, in particular, is the curved opening better?

@Nouvolo
I recently purchased the Steck and am really looking forward for this build.
Where are you at with these taller feet for the Steck? I do like the curved opening design but what I would also like is to have a bit more options for customization e.g.
  1. The feet for your design would already accommodate for 15mm and 25mm fans
  2. Second feet option with 15mm extra height from the first option to accommodate ~25mm radiators with 15mm fans or thin aio like this
  3. Maybe a third option that would be the same as adding a stack, 35mm extra height from the first option.
I would also like to see more stack sizes added, maybe 20mm and 40mm, it would make it possible to simply add fans, thin aio or custom watercooling loop using thin radiators and 15mm fans.

Xaeons

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2019
Just got my Steck v1.1 recently, and after months of reading the forums and reddit, I came prepared for the side panels.

I ditched the magnetic strips and went for neodymium magnets, though I used 3m adhesive mounting tape (less than 1mm thick)

After a while the heat affected the adhesive and came off. :(

Question is, if I use superglue or epoxy, would it:

a.) Resist the heat better than mounting tape?
b.) Leave a residue or peel off the paint if ever I need to take it off?

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
@Xaeons
try 3M adhesive again but this time, prep both the magnet and panel by cleaning the surface on contact with alcohol and / or distilled water with a lint-free cloth. (basically any detailing micro fiber cloth)

i would stay away with superglue or epoxy.

Reactions: Poblopuablo

Xaeons

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2019
Yeah I did those as well, I even placed the panels and magnets between cardboard sheets and placed my old Define Mini C on top of it and let it set for more than 24hrs. Still peeled off due to heat :(

Should I try Gorilla Mounting Tape?

My magnets are advertised as 3mm thickness but when measured it's only 2.5mm, adding the less than 1mm mounting tape and my cover sits almost flush with the front/back panels. I'm unsure which mounting tape to get though because maybe I should try something stronger.

EDIT: Scratch that, upon further reading the mounting tape I had, it says "Used for Arts & Crafts and light duty mounting"
Fudgenuggets, I'll have to buy some heavy duty ones

Last edited: