Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I haven't had an problems with my power cord. I'm running an intel 660p 2TB on a Gigabyte X570 mITX with a pretty power heavy combo of a 3800x and 980ti.

countvonmee

Efficiency Noob
Oct 13, 2019
deleted my earlier post, my problem came up again after about a dozen times of it working well..so no issues with the power cord. Might be a faulty M.2 drive.

Blahbleh

Cable Smoosher
Oct 7, 2019
Hi everyone, I just wanted to say that I eventually bought and got almost all my parts.
I'm now the happy owner of a v1.1 Steck with Hackintosh/Windows dual boot. I eventually went for the Sapphire Nitro+ RX 590 which does not properly fits the Steck (even if it's within recommended dimension: 260X135X43 < 300x140x45). As some other already stated previously in this thread as well as here, I had to cut a small part (about 5x5x3mm) in a corner of the GPU's plastic cover using a box cutter (I dont have a Dremel ?) to make it fit. It was brand new so I just said goodbye to the guaranty (and feel quite stupid now). The cut is not perfect yet but I will post pics of the mod and the overall build once everything will be fine. The other issue with this GPU card (and maybe other) is that the fans are so close to the side panel and misaligned to the side panel's holes that it creates a LOT of turbulence when fans are on, resulting in an annoying harmonic noise following the fan's curve. This noise almost totally disappear when I take of the side panel. So Sapphire made a very good job in terms of perfs and noise for this RX 590 Nitro +, but it does not really fit the Steck and the noiseless advantage basically disappear as long as you keep the side panel on while using the GPU.

Before I write a more in-depth review with pictures, I need to complete my build with some 2,5" disk and I need your help for that. So both M.2 slots of my MoBo are populated, and I have no room for the usual disk trays (GPU is too long and there is a 120x25mm fan at the bottom). My plans are to fit a 2,5" disk behind the PSU (I already tucked the powers cables here but it still should fit) and maybe another one between the front panel and the PSU side. Do you think it should fit ? I remember a few posts about fitting disks there but I cannot find them anymore...

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Before I write a more in-depth review with pictures, I need to complete my build with some 2,5" disk and I need your help for that. So both M.2 slots of my MoBo are populated, and I have no room for the usual disk trays (GPU is too long and there is a 120x25mm fan at the bottom). My plans are to fit a 2,5" disk behind the PSU (I already tucked the powers cables here but it still should fit) and maybe another one between the front panel and the PSU side. Do you think it should fit ? I remember a few posts about fitting disks there but I cannot find them anymore...

Depending on what PSU cables you have, you may be able to route the PCI-E power cables between the GPU and the spine to free up some extra space for an SSD. While an SSD will technically fit between the PSU and the front plate, I found it nigh impossible to route the SATA and power cord to it when you already have one between the PSU and the spine.

I'm curious what part of the case you were having interference issues regarding the GPU and would be interested to see some pics. I managed to fit an MSI 980ti gaming X which is above the height spec, but was able to make it work with a set of low profile PCI-E power extensions.

Blahbleh

Cable Smoosher
Oct 7, 2019
Depending on what PSU cables you have, you may be able to route the PCI-E power cables between the GPU and the spine to free up some extra space for an SSD. While an SSD will technically fit between the PSU and the front plate, I found it nigh impossible to route the SATA and power cord to it when you already have one between the PSU and the spine.

I'm curious what part of the case you were having interference issues regarding the GPU and would be interested to see some pics. I managed to fit an MSI 980ti gaming X which is above the height spec, but was able to make it work with a set of low profile PCI-E power extensions.

Here is the cutted part

And some global views

I'm pretty sure it would have fit if the PCI-E riser was mounted around 4mm lower.

Regarding extra space for 2,5" disks:
My PSU cables are the stock ones from the Corsair SFX 450W. The PCI-E power cable is not an issue as it has plenty of space to be routed next to the GPU (as you can see in the side view pic). Moreover I dont want to route anything behind the GPU as its fans can already sometimes slightly touch the side pannel if the whole case is not "well in place". You can see on the top view that the GPU is not absolutelly aligned, the rightmost part being slightly sticking-out.
For now my biggest fear about 2 additionnal 2,5" disks is the SATA power cable which has more connectors than needed. Should be really, really hard to fit. The SATA cables themselves however seem to be quite easily rootable I guess. I feel like if one can fit, both will fit.

What do you call the spine ? The central part on which is screwed the MoBo, PCI-E riser and PSU mount ?

From the official tech specs of the MSI 980Ti Gaming X it's dimensions (277 x 140 x 40) are still within the range the Steck can accept (but yeah it must be a tight fit).

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
From the official tech specs of the MSI 980Ti Gaming X it's dimensions (277 x 140 x 40) are still within the range the Steck can accept (but yeah it must be a tight fit).

The biggest problem is, unlike the 590 where the power connectors are recessed, on the gamingX they are flush with the top edge, so even the thickness of the standard connector (let alone the cables) cause interference with the top plate.

Here is the cutted part

I see, that isn't the spot that I expected interference at all. I was imagining needing to cut on the far plate.

For now my biggest fear about 2 additionnal 2,5" disks is the SATA power cable which has more connectors than needed. Should be really, really hard to fit. The SATA cables themselves however seem to be quite easily rootable I guess. I feel like if one can fit, both will fit.

You might be able to source a pair of single SATA power cables (instead of the 3 plug daisy chain variety) which might help the cable management too.

Jeff92

Efficiency Noob
Oct 28, 2019
I really like this exposed look but i'm not sure if the top is possible on the Steck.
Basically, I'd love to buy a Steck and remove the top hat to expose the radiator/fans. Unfortunately every water cooled photo I"ve seen so far of the Steck has the top hat on. Anyone who owns a Steck know if this setup is possible?

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I really like this exposed look but i'm not sure if the top is possible on the Steck.
Basically, I'd love to buy a Steck and remove the top hat to expose the radiator/fans. Unfortunately every water cooled photo I"ve seen so far of the Steck has the top hat on. Anyone who owns a Steck know if this setup is possible?

Need modding to achieve this look, as the mounting frame is at the top. But I have been discussing with others on these kinds of setup (photos) lately with Ghost. To me, these seem like an open bench?

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
That can be closed. If I remember correctly, that is the part where Optimum Tech need to wait for a more low profile connector for the GPU. His latest build shows a full loop on a single 240mm rad. everything is closed.

Salicide

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 5, 2019
@Nouvolo Do you have official size measurements of the glass panels that come with the stack? I measured mine at 283mm x 185mm x 3mm. I'm going to do some etching and just wanted to make sure those measurements line up with yours.

Reactions: Nouvolo

BrziHR

Cable Smoosher
Sep 13, 2019
Can someone please share the length from to the edge to the screw holes on the glass panels? I wish to drill my metal panels so I need some measurements.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018

You guys think this AIO will fit in the expansion unit?
If the radiator and fan is 60mm thick or less, yes. If not, then no. (Don't see a spec on that page pertaining to the thickness)

So therortically you could use a 45mm thick fan and 15mm fans(although idk if the static pressure of 15mm fans would be high enough for a 45mm thick rad... But theoretically it works.)