Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

ckaym

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2018
Just to share my opinion (which is perfectly fine if you disagree):

It's an obvious clone of the Louqe Ghost S1.
This would be fine with me if there were some improvements.
Such improvements in my opinion would be:

- Weight reduction. Louqe S1 and this case weight exactly the same 2.5kg w/o hat, 3kg with L-tophat. That's too much if you're building it for portability (not just taking it from one room to the next, but to actually carry it in a backpack). Just for comparison Dan's A4 is 1.25kg which is about half the weight. And I expect Dan's C4 (which would be roughly equivalent to Louqe+L-topHat) to be between 1.5~1.8kg.

I just made the initial prototype of my custom frame/case, which uses 4 fans (2 slim 120mm Nuctuas on bottom for general case air-flow, and 2 high-pressure on top to push air thru 240mm aluminium radiator).
The current weight is just over 1kg (
) that's including the main-frame and the 4 fans (the 240 rad would add another 300gr; and I estimate about 200gr for the middle frame/plates to hold the internal parts). Size is 124x310x250mm
For mostly stationary use-case of course weight doesn't matter.

- to focus on water-cooling and limit the width of the case to 120~126mm (so that you can mount 240mm radiator on top). Of course that's a branch-off the air-cooler design since in 126mm wide case only the slimmest air-coolers can fit, and they won't be able to handle more powerful CPUs (and if they can't then one would better use laptop).
This case however copies Louqe's - trying to be more universal I guess (which is fare) but keeps the width at 142mm :/
And if water-cooling is already a focus, perhaps make it possible to attach L-hats on top and bottom for dual 240mm rads.
By rough calcs if you use rads like EK's FluidGaming (ie aluminium series for weight reduction) which are 28mm thick that gives 53mm for each pack of rad+fans - ie 106mm for both Top & Bottom. Plust 180mm height for the ITX Mobo it should be possible to fit it under 300mm height, also 300mm length and 125mm width (~11.2L the total volume of the case, not the fluid ;))
So still quite back-packable (if weight is kept down by aluminium loop & reservoir is hooked only for filling/maintenance by quick-disconnect-fittings, but not kept inside the case... so still under 7.5kg).

This case however does none of these, which is ok - Louqe S1 is already great case, but then the only things to compete by would be price

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
This is very interesting for me. Could you give us more details about your temp and frequency using Prime? I suggest to setup it in custom, 16 thread, 8k fixed test. I am interested to the performance fo the L12S compared to my L12. My 2700X is in AUTO, so no manual overclocking or VCORE offset.

I also have the l12, not really that motivated to test it though, since it's currently in use in another system.
But, I had both of them on my 2400g, that draws around 120w under load and the l12s was around 10°C better for me. But I would take this with a grain of salts, since the case it was in had more optimal vents for the l12s.

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I was called "bitter" when I recommended this. ;)
In the weekend the side as well! Was super fast! BTW, the top if will be screwed, needs to have 2 more screws and the support in the middle.

I suggest:

Two bottom screw for the side panel, and one central support on top. where the TOP will go above and screwed in! BOOM!

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I also have the l12, not really that motivated to test it though, since it's currently in use in another system.
But, I had both of them on my 2400g, that draws around 120w under load and the l12s was around 10°C better for me. But I would take this with a grain of salts, since the case it was in had more optimal vents for the l12s.
BTW, Next week IF I receive the Alpenfohn Blackridge, I can test the same system in the DAN, so we can evaluate (If there is) the temps' differences!

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
You know what? the top and bottom horizontal brackets are the same. So any top panel with holes at the correct position in the four corners can be screwed on, just like the bottom.

And as with side panels.

That's one mod-ibility I have considered ;)

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Actually didn't work for me at 3200Mhz following the Calculator value. maybe with 16gb stick it could have issues? The ASUS won't boot and reset the RAM config. BUT, at 2933Mhz, using the Calculator optimization works with no problem at all!
Hmm. Let’s start here. Did you make sure every single field matched? Every setting recommendation including SOC voltage and DRAM voltage, termination block resistance, CAD_BUS, etc., must be set properly or it won’t work.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hmm. Let’s start here. Did you make sure every single field matched? Every setting recommendation including SOC voltage and DRAM voltage, termination block resistance, CAD_BUS, etc., must be set properly or it won’t work.
Ok, I forgot the SOC and the CAD, BUS. SO maybe I should try again!

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
In the weekend the side as well! Was super fast! BTW, the top if will be screwed, needs to have 2 more screws and the support in the middle.

I suggest:

Two bottom screw for the side panel, and one central support on top. where the TOP will go above and screwed in! BOOM!

Where can I get a panel like this made and sourced? Please enlighten me. :)

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018

I suggest:

Hey @fabio, your white case looks fabulous!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I have found the SOC voltage is especially important. Otherwise, it may not boot or it could throw you a BSOD.
Doesn't work, now I'll try as suggested in the diagram guide to use the ALT. procODTOT: But do you start from the D.O.C.P or in manual mode?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Test results from lunch. But that’s not all! Hold your hats, gents and germs, for even more to come in this ripping and roaring post. I will have 3.9 GHz results added around 7 PM EST tonight.

Thermal dissipation test

System configuration:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 with 92mmx25mm Delta fan (AFC0912D-PWM) in updraft configuration with 100% intensity set for 70 degrees Celsius in BIOS-defined fan curve
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X470-I Gaming
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR 3600 Cl14 @ 3466MHz 14-15-14-28, 1.41V
Power supply: Enermax Revolution SFX 650W power supply with fan facing outward

Test description:

Run IntelBurnTest with 10 times to run at Very High stress level while monitoring peak CPU temperature (Tctl/Tdie) with HWiNFO64. Independent variables are clock speed, CPU voltage, and the placement (on or off) of the motherboard side panel. Dependent variables are peak CPU temperature (the Tctl/Tdie as reported by HWiNFO64) and the room temperature (the current ambient temperature as reported by the Nest thermostat).

Results:

Clock Speed (GHz) / Voltage / Side Panel On or Off — Max Temperature / Ambient Temperature (Celsius)

3.8 / 1.26250 / On - 83.4 / 18.9

3.8 / 1.26250 / Off - 70.8 / 18.9

3.9 / 1.34375 / On - 90+ Thermal shutdown :( / 18.9

3.9 / 1.34375 / Off - 74.3 / 18.9

Discussion:

As an aside, man, that side panel does have a huge effect on the temperature. It is actually 13 degrees Celsius, not the 7 to 10 number I had originally quoted earlier. Maybe, @macbosco, you should consider some different perforation patterns, sizes, and shapes for version 1.1 to improve the thru-side panel airflow.
The results are in and isn’t pretty...

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Before I just add more holes to the panel, I'd probably need to do some experiments first. Completely opening up the case is quite different from just adding more holes. Maybe I'd need to test with an acrylic sheet equivalent first...

One issue with making more holes => weaken the panel structure (flexing)

Consider a square sheet with 4 holes in a grid, only about 50% of the area is the actual stamped out holes, the rest forms the sheet. The panels will be even weaker (flex) if more holes are made. I was pulling my hair out when you guys said that they warp in transit....

That's one of the reason why I didn't make more holes (also for subjective aesthetic reason). If you look at Ghost S1 panels, I am curious to know how they maintain their strength. They are virtually completely covered with holes. I won't doubt its better ventilation. But need to wait for them to "exist" before there can be comparisons. How much does the temp go down by? I am reluctantly to go for that many holes if temp doesn't improve by more than 5degC

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Before I just add more holes to the panel, I'd probably need to do some experiments first. Completely opening up the case is quite different from just adding more holes. Maybe I'd need to test with an acrylic sheet equivalent first...

One issue with making more holes => weaken the panel structure (flexing)

Consider a square sheet with 4 holes in a grid, only about 50% of the area is the actual stamped out holes, the rest forms the sheet. The panels will be even weaker (flex) if more holes are made. I was pulling my hair out when you guys said that they warp in transit....

That's one of the reason why I didn't make more holes (also for subjective aesthetic reason). If you look at Ghost S1 panels, I am curious to know how they maintain their strength. They are virtually completely covered with holes. I won't doubt its better ventilation. But need to wait for them to "exist" before there can be comparisons. How much does the temp go down by? I am reluctantly to go for that many holes if temp doesn't improve by more than 5degC

This is what I got with panel on and off. I suspect the reason for the narrower delta at 3.8 GHz is because the fan curve does not ramp up to 100% until 70 Celsius and that fan curve is also very steep. If I had tested with a straight 100% level with no temperature control, then it probably would have been around 15 or so. But even 100% is a bit loud for me after a while, it being a Delta (airlines) after all. :)
Results:

Clock Speed (GHz) / Voltage / Side Panel On or Off — Max Temperature / Ambient Temperature (Celsius)

3.8 / 1.26250 / On - 83.4 / 18.9

3.8 / 1.26250 / Off - 70.8 / 18.9

3.9 / 1.34375 / On - 90+ Thermal shutdown :( / 18.9

3.9 / 1.34375 / Off - 74.3 / 18.9

Longbow072

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
This is partially why I'm going to an AIO eventually, since I have dealt with the Helo taking off effect on my Cryorig C7, and want to be able to do normal PC tasks's without the additional noise involved. Plus I wouldn't mind room for a mild OC.

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
This is partially why I'm going to an AIO eventually, since I have dealt with the Helo taking off effect on my Cryorig C7, and want to be able to do normal PC tasks's without the additional noise involved. Plus I wouldn't mind room for a mild OC.
I have always been a bit spooked out by a potential leak with AIOs. But maybe I should just bite the bullet and take the plunge. If I want to go all out with $200, what is the best in-class option with the top stack? I am not sure still, but I am open to opinions and I am rather curious.