Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
You definitely should start a forum on [H]ard. Maybe you can handout codes to buyers they can give to others for a discount, for both the code giver and receiver, kind of like Uber. ...

I think it is good idea, I will setup community tester codes to share, these will be able to get a test run product at a heavy discount. e.g. USD100 vs USD180 (final retail). Hope tax and shipping won't raise price by too much.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I think it is good idea, I will setup community tester codes to share, these will be able to get a test run product at a heavy discount. e.g. USD100 vs USD180 (final retail). Hope tax and shipping won't raise price by too much.

I would be interested in testing one of the prototypes and I think that $100 is a fair price. One question, what is the height limit for the GPU. I am looking at an MSI GPU and they are fairly tall.

Reactions: macbosco

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I would be interested in testing one of the prototypes and I think that $100 is a fair price. One question, what is the height limit for the GPU. I am looking at an MSI GPU and they are fairly tall.

I think 99% (if not all) cards should be bound by the spec as below. For my case I have allowed for about 155mm card height, which should be enough, bar some pushing down of the gfx card power cable. My MSI Armor is a relatively "tall" card, I deliberately bought that one to test out the limits.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Count me in. I'd love to be a beta tester!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Good feedback is hard to illicit. The good case reviewers also may have a work queue that takes time for them to get through. Here are the SFF people I recommend:

@Tek Everything, Hardware Canucks, Optimum Tech, Linus

I would say you should make a couple test samples, send it to reviewers, and then ask them to forward it to the next one.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I hate doing this, but I have to say:
Cheers, and good luck!

Thanks for your feedback, some people have backed Pachalski's project and I totally understand it's not just the money but also the emotions and expectation to want it succeed. As a creator (or not one in your eyes) myself I totally empathize with Louqe. And I have always want every creator to succeed as I know the sacrifice needed to pull together something like this.

But for the product to ship it's absolutely not only just about the design, I would say design is only about 30% of the whole project. The rest is about knowledge/experience in different materials, production planning, "judging and picking" the right manufacturer, logistics, accounting/admin marketing, etc. 2 years for them, I think it's fair to say, they have come short in one or more of the above things.

I can only count myself fortunate that I am working for a company that requires me travel to China often to oversee production of products. This helps me build up connections and experience to smooth out the process. Trust me, I still have lots of hurdles to overcome.

Reactions: BernardoZ

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Any updates?
Factory is now making the sheet metal stamping moulds and tools. It will take approx 1.5months before production. No more (hand made) prototypes will be made due to costs. Minor adjustment can be made on the moulds still if test batch has any issues.

At the same time I am (bulk) sourcing for accessories including:
EVA feet - done
magnetic strips - done
dust filter - done
tempered glass panels - sampling
C14 power inlet + C13 angled cable - sampling
power switch + power LED - sampling

Packaging design won't start until at least 1 complete set of items are produced, the knowing what size and dimension can fit.

ron095

Caliper Novice
May 28, 2018
Factory is now making the sheet metal stamping moulds and tools. It will take approx 1.5months before production. No more (hand made) prototypes will be made due to costs. Minor adjustment can be made on the moulds still if test batch has any issues.

At the same time I am (bulk) sourcing for accessories including:
EVA feet - done
magnetic strips - done
dust filter - done
tempered glass panels - sampling
C14 power inlet + C13 angled cable - sampling
power switch + power LED - sampling

Packaging design won't start until at least 1 complete set of items are produced, the knowing what size and dimension can fit.

Damn, looks like it's going to be a while. What kind of power switches and LEDs are you considering?

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Damn, looks like it's going to be a while. What kind of power switches and LEDs are you considering?
I am looking for those thin profile switches mounted on circuit board. Hopefully I can have the button to have the exact same material and color flushed with the case. I have found some before but it is hard to get custom made sizes due to low qty. I have found some that is stock and can fit into this small case.

2 types of LED, 1 is separate from the switch, which needs extra light rod, another comes with the switch, simpler to implement, not decided which one to use yet.

Reactions: ron095

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Yea, it will always take this long to make. It's just that I am paying up front with my own money for the development, rather than waiting to get backers money. By the time the project is launched it will be more in a pre-order stage, rather than development. This arrangement can allow backers to get their products "earlier" in their eyes, as they only consider themselves starting to wait after they have put in their money. You can see the other projects may take at least if not longer, but having numerous backers to wait at the same time.

I don't like getting the pressure to deliver from paid backers. There is a risk that there may be issues that I cannot control or anticipate. So I am taking all this risks myself... at the end hoping to give a better experience for the backers.

Megaden44

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2017
Yea, it will always take this long to make. It's just that I am paying up front with my own money for the development, rather than waiting to get backers money. By the time the project is launched it will be more in a pre-order stage, rather than development. This arrangement can allow backers to get their products "earlier" in their eyes, as they only consider themselves starting to wait after they have put in their money. You can see the other projects may take at least if not longer, but having numerous backers to wait at the same time.

I don't like getting the pressure to deliver from paid backers. There is a risk that there may be issues that I cannot control or anticipate. So I am taking all this risks myself... at the end hoping to give a better experience for the backers.

That's very noble of you. I was thinking about ways you could further distinguish your case without altering your design philosophy and I thought of two. I don't know how this would work with your budget but having unique colors would be pretty cool like polished aluminum or hydrodipped (again that could be way too expensive). I also think moving the power button would really clean the exterior. Is there any space below the front of the case for a power button? !nverse case used a power button under the case.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
That's very noble of you. I was thinking about ways you could further distinguish your case without altering your design philosophy and I thought of two. I don't know how this would work with your budget but having unique colors would be pretty cool like polished aluminum or hydrodipped (again that could be way too expensive). I also think moving the power button would really clean the exterior. Is there any space below the front of the case for a power button? !nverse case used a power button under the case.

Thanks for your feedback, having different colours are a good idea. I plan to offer 3 colours, the 1st one will be matte black. Haven't decided on the other 2 tho. My initial thoughts maybe white and pink (female demographic). I am using powder coating. Although personally I also like anodization, it is relatively limited in terms of colour range (e.g. white is difficult). And to find a different colouring facility for each colour will be too inefficient (coz some may not do other colours too well, usually they are only good at a few colours).

AND the most important thing is that, in fact, anodization plants are unwanted business for most governments these days due to pollution. It will be harder and harder to find anodization facilities in the future, as more and more are forced to shut down due to tighter regulations (and costs may go up).

ron095

Caliper Novice
May 28, 2018

Yeah no worries. My main reason for going SFF is because my current tower case is noisy and takes up a lot of space, but I can wait until a good product that suits my needs comes out. Gives me time to gather the upgrades too!

Thanks for your feedback, having different colours are a good idea.

Ever thought about offering custom colours (and possibly colour combos) for buyers at an affordable margin at purchase? Not really my thing but I can see the appeal for others. Just an idea

Dreamwrx

Caliper Novice
Jul 12, 2018
I just joined SFFF because of your case and wanted to chime in on something.

As most people here are a modder of some sort... do you think you could offer the case semi unfinished? Leave the painting, maybe even the LED/Power buttons up for buyer to find on their own as an option for a bit lower cost? This would give us more options than just 3 colors to choose from as the user can opt to paint to their heart's desire.

I also think that early bird adopter pricing at cost in return for pictures/videos/reviews/builds would put this out there...

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I just joined SFFF because of your case and wanted to chime in on something.

As most people here are a modder of some sort... do you think you could offer the case semi unfinished? Leave the painting, maybe even the LED/Power buttons up for buyer to find on their own as an option for a bit lower cost? This would give us more options than just 3 colors to choose from as the user can opt to paint to their heart's desire.

I also think that early bird adopter pricing at cost in return for pictures/videos/reviews/builds would put this out there...

I think I can offer the case without colour. I will confirm you on this once I have the test batch done. Note that for modders there are risks in this such that paint thickness is important factor. Parts may not fit if paint is too thick.

And for the super early bird / test community I am planning to offer around USD100 for the complete kit vs USD190 final retail. Let me know if you think the price is acceptable.

Dreamwrx

Caliper Novice
Jul 12, 2018
I think $100USD is a great early bird/tester price vs the full retail price. Are these shipped prices or is there additional shipping cost?
Also maybe a slight discount on the unpainted/unfinished model?

Also, I think all modders know the risk of fitment issues when they are modding.

MadDrake

Cable Smoosher
Jul 13, 2018
Man that price is totally acceptable. I would like to join when possible. My dream case would be in midnight purple (just like the R33 :D). Also would this fit a 240mm 56mm thick rad?